Bottomless Bubbles - Quarters / Coins for tips

FrogFloat

Last Carnival cruise , me and my girlfriend had the Bottomless Bubbles package. Often from the bar and other places would would get both soda's and tip a dollar. We are going on a Carnival Cruise this coming October, My question is, if the tip is two quarters for a soda single drink be inconvenient ? Are coins for tips frowned upon in general?

You've got a couple of answers you seem ok with so I'm sure my answer won't mean much. Also, I'm sure servers and bartenders won't ever turn down a tip in the form of coins. That being said, I am generally not a fan of tipping with coins and would not do so, as I find it tacky, but that's just me. I carry plenty of singles when I cruise for the purpose of tipping. Again, that's just me. Of course, some would disagree, and that's fine.

You've got a couple of answers you seem ok with so I'm sure my answer won't mean much. Also, I'm sure servers and bartenders won't ever turn down a tip in the form of coins. That being said, I am generally not a fan of tipping with coins and would not do so, as I find it tacky, but that's just me. I carry plenty of singles when I cruise for the purpose of tipping. Again, that's just me. Of course, some would disagree, and that's fine.

I agree.

Personally, I would not tip two quarters when served a drink. It would be at least one dollar per drink if I am tipping more than what is already automatically included.

Last Carnival cruise , me and my girlfriend had the Bottomless Bubbles package. Often from the bar and other places would would get both soda's and tip a dollar. We are going on a Carnival Cruise this coming October, My question is, if the tip is two quarters for a soda single drink be inconvenient ? Are coins for tips frowned upon in general?

I believe you're good with that. At least 25% in tip just for a soda.

Just my .02 cents...........I purchased a beer once and I wanted to round up the tip to 2 bucks and added some change to the 15% tip to make it an even dollar amount. Got a snotty comment from the bartender. Guess what? Didn't bother giving him anything extra for the rest of the cruise.

Extra tipping isn't necessary; but IMO tipping in coins is a bit tacky. If it were me, and I felt inclined to tip extra, would stick to singles and just not tip every time. You'll see the same bartenders enough that I can't see that being much of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Extra tipping isn't necessary; but IMO tipping in coins is a bit tacky. If it were me, and I felt inclined to tip extra, would stick to singles and just not tip every time. You'll see the same bartenders enough that I can't see that being much of an issue.

OP, this is not only a tip, it is an extra tip over and above the regular tip. Tip however you like. Personally, it would be inconvenient for me to carry around coins for tipping, especially on the lido deck, so I'd do what Sanger does, use bills but don't tip every time.

I'm used to tipping with coins as we don't have $1 or $2 bills in Canada, so I know how inconvenient carrying around coins is.

So you will be tipping £5 in the UK then?

Time to get rid of $1 and put a stop to this;p

hahaha. Well most of u on this forum don't live in the UK so we don't have to worry about that. And if we did, tipping is not a general practice there anyway ;p

hahaha. Well most of u on this forum don't live in the UK so we don't have to worry about that. And if we did, tipping is not a general practice there anyway ;p

Canada as well - we have $1 and $2 coins - very convenient. It wouldn't bother me to keep 4 quarters with me while on the cruise (50 cent tip times 2 beverages). And then replenish my quarters stash as necessary. It's not like you need to carry around $5 worth of quarters.

So you will be tipping £5 in the UK then? Across the BIG Pond !:D

You're just gonna have to follow those people with all that change in their pockets on a cruise ship :). They'll be the ones that sink to the bottom of the pool fast.

Here in the states at the local pubs you will find tip jars on the counter tops. Some of them will have the words "Tipping is not a city in China " written on them.;)

I know this is the case in the U.K. But I don't know why it is. Personally I find coins very inconvenient to carry, bills of any denomination fold up nicely in my wallet. My wallet doesn't have a change section (actually use a money clip) so coins just end up in a change jar at home till I can collect enough to exchange for 'real money'. Luckily in the US, coins are so low value that that works. Really dislike the $1 and $2 coins in Europe.

Personally I think tipping in coins/quarters is really tacky, and I wouldn't do it. If I was on the receiving end of it I would feel like "my service isn't even worth a dollar bill huh?" it just comes off as cheap. As others have said you've already tipped the bartenders when you bought the package so there is no requirement to add extra. If you frequent the same bartender all week and he/she takes good care of you I would give them a cash tip at the end of the trip.

I work for tips and here's my 2 cents. When someone pays me $3.75 for a beer and tips me a quarter, that's all I get. There's no gratuity included like on Carnival. I surely take the quarter and while I think it's a cheap tip I thank the customer because plenty of people take their change and put it back in their pocket.

Do what you want to do. Tip 50 cents. Or tip $1 every other soda. If a bartender complains about it or makes a face don't tip them anymore.

Half my tips are cheap tips. But, those cheap tips add up and are certainly better than a big fat goose egg!

For MY convenience only, I only use dollars for tips. No matter what we get at the bar, we tip at least a $1 a glass, if we ask for 2 soda's we tip $2, just us.

We tip by the bottle or glass, not how much we spend (it takes the same amount of arm work pouring soda or beer) when we are in a bar and going up to get our own.