Cruising with babies

cthrn27

Hello. We saw several families with small children on Conquest last month. I'd say less than 2 years old. Anyone done this?? How difficult was it??? Were you able to enjoy the cruise?? Thinking about an extended family trip......

It's difficult... no joke. The small rooms, baby schedules, lack of confined areas for play, food/bottles, what to do in port, heat .. don't get me wrong, it can be done, but it is a challenge and preparation is key.

Families bring their families....as long as the child is 6 mos. on sail date, it's fine. And yes...when you have a family, that's how you travel! On a ship, you'll do just as you do at home. It's not THAT hard, and it's not a "challenge"....anymore than any family is a challenge!

We did it, it sucked moose butt... not relaxing, or enjoyable... unless you are traveling with a group that can help out. It's a lot of work. Most people sugar coat this question. The packing, is crazy. You have to bring everything. If your flying to the port. God bless ya.

But ultimately you will make your own choice. Even though my boy was good about 90% of the cruise. Being in a confined space with a toddler = not much of a vacation. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. But it's my take.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been cruising with my now 5 year old since she was 8 months old. For me it was not difficult at all. You do need to bring everything he or she will need (diaper/ formula and so on)

But other then that it was a very east vacation for us. It was different then when we cruised before kids but we love cruising and so does she. there are times (usually in the morning) when you can go to the kids club with baby and play. If you get a balcony, you can hang out there while baby naps. I agree check out the family boards they have a lot of advise.

Just remember that it will be a different experience than you might be used to. You have to keep to baby's schedule with naptime, feeding time, etc. You won't be able to have a spontaneous type cruise.

However, if you've been tent camping for more than a week with a baby/toddler you probably won't encounter any difficulties at all! ;)

However, if you've been tent camping for more than a week with a baby/toddler you probably won't encounter any difficulties at all! ;)

LOL. I suspect you are correct.

Edited by cthrn27
Typo

We did it, it sucked moose butt... not relaxing, or enjoyable... unless you are traveling with a group that can help out. It's a lot of work. Most people sugar coat this question. The packing, is crazy. You have to bring everything. If your flying to the port. God bless ya.

But ultimately you will make your own choice. Even though my boy was good about 90% of the cruise. Being in a confined space with a toddler = not much of a vacation. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. But it's my take.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very well said.

Hello. We saw several families with small children on Conquest last month. I'd say less than 2 years old. Anyone done this?? How difficult was it??? Were you able to enjoy the cruise?? Thinking about an extended family trip......

It depends on you and your kid, but for the most part it's not that difficult. You need to bring everything you will need with you, there are limited items you can get on board. In particular diapers and medicine, I would bring all of those you'll need, and then extra.

If your kid is the type that gets upset super easy, or cannot sit still for a moment, then it's certainly more work. But then it's more work at home too I'm sure. What you'll probably find is your kid Is similar to what they are at home, and 90% of the time it won't be a problem. Only thing most people ask is if they do act up at dinner, or a show, then be considerate and take them out. Babies are actually easy (we took ours at 3+ months, 11 months, and many times since), you just take them with you and they sleep most of the time. Toddlers are the ones that can give you a workout, since they want to walk around more. If you put your child to a strict regiment of naps and such, you'll want to keep it. We never did that, and she was easy to take care of onboard.

As for enjoyment, it depends what you expect to do. If your plan is to drink excessively, bask at the pool together all day, or dance all night in the nightclub together, then you might not enjoy it as much. If your plan is to cruise as a family, take turns when the child needs to nap or turn in for the night, while still being able to see shows, go out to eat, do some activities, then you'll enjoy it a great deal. We enjoyed ours, and was wonderful getting to share vacation time with our daughter (and still do)

Babies do not belong on cruises, it's too difficult for them.

What an ignorant thing to say. When I took my 8 month old, he had a blast. Was it work for us? Sure. It wasn't difficult at all for him. But we all had a great time.

That being said, I've found it much more difficult with a toddler...suddenly they're mobile and have a mind of their own. To the OP I would suggest - if at all possible get more family members to join you. We had my wife's parents, and an extra set of hands and babysitter is invaluable. Most lines don't offer childcare and kids clubs are 2 and up. Research the line and see what they do offer. Often you can preorder baby food like jars of gerber and other supplies. And in the MDR for example, they're happy to blend up fruits and vegetables for babies. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My guy was 2.5 on his first cruise and we had a blast. He hung in the kids club most nights for a couple hours so we could do adult things. He loved the beaches and other excursions we did. That was our first aft balcony so when he napped I would read out there or if my husband stayed back I'd go to the pool. We really enjoyed. We just booked a trip for 2019 and my newest guy will have just turned 2. We're very much looking forward to it. We always travel... kids havent changed that.

Families bring their families....as long as the child is 6 mos. on sail date, it's fine. And yes...when you have a family, that's how you travel! On a ship, you'll do just as you do at home. It's not THAT hard, and it's not a "challenge"....anymore than any family is a challenge!
I totally agree! If you make it work at home, it will work on a cruise! We traveled many times with little ones and had a great time! If your stressed at home, its probably best not to.

I think judgmental old farts like yourself do not belong on cruises. Aren't you the same tool who was parent shaming about the toddler who fell and was airlifted without knowing any facts?

I would tend to agree with you and couldn't imagine how anyone could imagine having an enjoyable cruise with a baby. I'd say wait until the kid is at least 2-3 years old.

I would tend to agree with you and couldn't imagine how anyone could imagine having an enjoyable cruise with a baby. I'd say wait until the kid is at least 2-3 years old.

If that works for you, great. Sorry you don't have the "imagination" for it, but some people do have an enjoyable cruise with their babies. Myself included. Here's a photo of me and our 8 month old enjoying our balcony.

d582acaed562e5374cfda6dbe425bee9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd rather have brought my son at 8 months (or ten months, or a year) than at 2 or 3. He will be 4 (and three quarters, as he tells everyone) when we sail in a few weeks, and he's great to take places now. I don't think, with him personally, having gone in the last 3 or so years would have been enjoyable though.

We did it many, many years ago and DS is 14.5 now and loves to cruise. We started getting balconies when he was still a baby/toddler as the nap schedule (no naps were not option in order for the trip to be pleasant for all of us!) warranted that we needed to spend a little more time than usual in the cabin. It was a great place for me to retreat, read, have a glass of wine while reading a book or just taking in the serenity of the ocean. Once he fell to sleep (he always took a good nap), I would move to the balcony to enjoy some quiet time on the balcony, it helped immensely to have that little piece of private outdoor space for times like that.

DH would usually come up and check on us about an hour in just in case I wanted a break and he would stay or to bring me/us a snack to enjoy together on the balcony. We also always had an umbrella stroller with us (folds easily and smaller than normal stroller), this was an easy way for us to stroll the ship and walk around with DS. Also a good vehicle to carry the diaper bag and various other things we might need while out of the cabin for a couple of hours and did not want to run back.

It takes some planning and we only had one kid to worry about but it is very doable. We have friends that always bring a niece or babysitter with them so they have someone to take the baby when necessary or they need some adult time. It works for them but we just worked it out on our own and it worked fine for us. Good Luck!!!

My husband and I had a 1 year old with us on our first cruise, 6 months pregnant with our final child, as well as our 6 other kids and we had a blast. We went to 2 a****ng luaus, swam with dolphins and toured the polynesian cultural center. That was 11 years ago and we still sail with and without our kids ( 11 total I think). Parenting is always what you make of it. If you go in determined to make things work and have fun, then that is what you will do. If you go into it thinking it will be horribly difficult and little fun, then that will be your experience.

My advice is to condense supplies so you dont feel like a pack mule, plan port days that work within your limitations, be flexible. We had a carseat that was also a stroller and booster seat ... and this simplified our whole trip. Avoid disappointment with your cruise by lowering your expectations to levels that are reasonable, given the age of your travel companions and remember... there will be baby free cruises in the future =)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app