Snorkeling and Beach...Help!

Lem_On_Ade

Hi all! I will be in Cozumel in September for a port stop from 9am-6pm. This will be mine and my husbands second time here but we were so naïve the first time we didn't know we could leave the port. Thankfully, several cruises later we now have a better idea of what we're doing lol. So here's my issue: traveling with us this time are my aunt and uncle on their very first cruise, very first time out of the USA, very first time seeing the beautiful Caribbean water and very first time snorkeling. I usually prefer to snorkel by boat but am open to shore snorkeling as well. My aunt has mentioned that she would also like some beach time in Cozumel. Is there any way we can do some snorkeling preferably by boat but shore would be fine, and spend some time at a beach? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you :D

Good snorkeling from the shore at the Money Bar, but no real beach (You enter the water via steps). Cab for 4 from the piers should be about $11-12 each way, no admission, great facilities, and good food, drinks and service.

Most of the popular beach clubs (Nachi Cocom, Sanchos, Paradise Beach) offer an optional small boat snorkel excursion to the reefs; usually about 90 minutes and costs $30+ each. Taxi to any of these will be about $17 each way - check the reviews as they are very different

Playa Palancar is farther away - about a $25+ cab ride - but reportedly offers a nice beach plus good snorkeling

Also check out Playa Uvas. Not too far down the shore from Money Bar (It's just past Chankanaab). It has a much bigger sandy area for beach time. Included with your admission fee is a 45 minute guided shore snorkeling tour. We've done it twice (once with our kids) and thoroughly enjoyed it both times.

Playa Palancar is farther away - about a $25+ cab ride - but reportedly offers a nice beach plus good snorkeling

Nice beach but snorkeling from shore is a dud. They do have a boat trip out to the reef that is pretty good though.

My pick for shore snorkeling would be Chankanaab, Playa Uvas, Money Bar and Playa Corona, in that order. Chank has the best beach even though it is man-made.