Stupid Eclipse Question of the Day (or Forever)

secrui

A RC unofficial blog web site lists all the RC ships that will be in a total eclipse or partial eclipse viewing area. I believe only the OA will be in a total eclipse area.

Will the OA (or other ships) put on their lights as the eclipse approaches? Since the OA, I believe, will be at sea, I can't believe it will go dark during a total eclipse?

Thank you.

If you are in the TOTAL ECLIPSE area, it does get dark, but only for a few mins. as the moon passes in front of the sun. Lights may be on a sensor....so they may come on.

Thank you. That reminds me of a funny story. We were on a cruise that spent part of its time in the Southern Hemisphere. An amateur astronomer on board graciously offered to provide a lecture one night.

It was a disaster for 3 reasons:

1. Full moon.

2. Ship lights were on (The amateur astronomer had asked the Bridge to shut off the lights during his talk but of course they didn't for legal/safety reasons.)

3. The word "amateur" really applied as he had brought detailed star charts (for the Northern Hemisphere) that were quite useless!

One of my more memorable night of observing was during a full moon. It was during a fairly long duration total lunar eclipse on the top of Bear Mt. in New York. Aboard ship, the only place I've found to be really good for observing is on the helipad on those ships that have them and are accessible to the passengers. There are no lights on forward of the bridge and it's really nice if the ship is sailing with the wind.

I'll be on Oasis next week. I'll have to remember to notice if any lights turn on during the eclipse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

what the International Rules of the Road (COLREGS) say:

Rule 20 Lights and Shapes

Application

(a)Rules in this part shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

© The lights prescribed by these rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.

(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Regulations.

Editorial comment: It is not unusual for cruise ships (and other vessels) to simply keep their navigation lights on at all times while underway .... it "keeps 'em covered" no matter what comes up.

So the question is....what do the towns/ships, with all the celebrations that are planned, going to do if it is a cloudy day/storm during that time? :eek:

I think the total eclipse happens every day...the earth gets in the way of the sunlight. ;p

One of my more memorable night of observing was during a full moon. It was during a fairly long duration total lunar eclipse on the top of Bear Mt. in New York. Aboard ship, the only place I've found to be really good for observing is on the helipad on those ships that have them and are accessible to the passengers. There are no lights on forward of the bridge and it's really nice if the ship is sailing with the wind.

I'll be on Oasis next week. I'll have to remember to notice if any lights turn on during the eclipse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You get Bonnie Tyler!

(...and I just got an earworm as I was typing that...)

Keep in mind too....there are many spots that you will be able to see the partial eclipse. In southern new england where i am we should still be able to see 65% of the eclipse. It wont be fully dark by any means but if you have the right glasses, you will definitely see something happen....just make sure you have the right glasses or else you're eye balls will catch on fire and your head will explode apparently lol not really, but vision damage can occur.