Let Princess Choose.....

pthjudy

I wonder what many think is an upgrade. At least for GTY's, and I would suspect others, location of the cabin is an upgrade. Point being, that many a time a balcony, interior, or whatever, type cabin has multiple price points. So, one can get a "better" location cabin for a lower price than if one just picked that cabin with a GTY booking.

Actually, this has happened to all but one of our cruises.

So, just because one isn't offered a balcony from an interior reservation, or a suite, from a balcony, it doesn't mean that one isn't upgraded.

On Princess there is no "low price" for booking a GTY. It is the same price for a type of cabin and category as when you can book a specific cabin.

The only time it is a lower price is if the category only has GTY booking left in which case it is lower than the next upward category.

Thanks, to you and Thrak. I stand corrected. I hadn't had occasion to notice that Princess does it differently than some other lines.

On Princess there is no "low price" for booking a GTY. It is the same price for a type of cabin and category as when you can book a specific cabin.

The only time it is a lower price is if the category only has GTY booking left in which case it is lower than the next upward category.

What do you think? Looks like 4 categories on a random 2018 have a lower GTY rate.e2f1860c6010512262791ccb3c32487d.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

I am assuming that the option of cabin selection that allows Princess to choose for you is a guarantee. We have had much success with this type of booking and when the ship is not fully booked, I have been able to change the guarantee to a cabin more to my liking. My question is does anyone feel that the more cruises you have had with Princess, the better chance for a better cabin assignment? Just wondering...........

I know, compared to some, thirteen cruises is not a lot but we have never been offered an upsell, upgrade or anything a wee bit special. Therefore, my answer to your query would be no. I live in hope but won't hold my breath! ;p

What do you think? Looks like 4 categories on a random 2018 have a lower GTY rate.e2f1860c6010512262791ccb3c32487d.jpg

I think that each of the Guaranteed categories represent categories that originally had cabins you could choose, but now those are sold and only GTY is left for new reservations.

The categories are the lowest priced ones in each type cabin, so it is not surprising that they sold first.

You do not indicate which ship this is, but, for example, the OZ category on the Royal Princess has just 18 cabins in it and all have larger than regular size balconies. It is not surprising that these 18 cabins sold quickly

I think that each of the Guaranteed categories represent categories that originally had cabins you could choose, but now those are sold and only GTY is left for new reservations.

The categories are the lowest priced ones in each type cabin, so it is not surprising that they sold first.

You do not indicate which ship this is, but, for example, the OZ category on the Royal Princess has just 18 cabins in it and all have larger than regular size balconies. It is not surprising that these 18 cabins sold quickly

Cabins for choosing are still available in lowest categories and a GTY is offered. Spot-checked a number of late summer 2018 Princess cruises in Alaska and Europe in Balcony and Mini-Suite. For my own satisfaction, not to prove a point.

While taking a GTY saves a little, not worth it to me as I don't want to be at an elevator or under a high traffic area. Sufferered under the buffet kitchen long ago in an IS GTY. Won't happen again.

Enjoy cruising!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

I think the point is, if the cabin is very important to you, you chose your own. I look at it, on longer cruises and if you enjoy your own space. Cabin location, and type can make or break your cruise.

For us we would always pick our own, just like choosing a holiday rental for a couple of week.

Cheers Don

I agree with Don. We aren't fans of playing cabin roulette. The cabin selection we use depends on the ship for the location, forward or aft and lower decks or upper decks. Then the itinerary is considered as to do we want to be in a cabin which has a view of the port as we arrive or depart and then the direction of travel puts us on either the port or starboard side of the ship.

We have been upgraded a couple of times and offered an upsell once in over 30 voyages. The upgrades were winners but not the upsell.