Why do people pick connecting cabins when they don't need them?!

Barnes11

Whether or not a cabin is connected to the one next door is the last thing I look at. Sorry, correction, I don't look for it at all and won't look for it in the future. Like a lot of posters here I pick based on location. I like to be near a bank of elevators, and not over or under any of the clubs or the galley. This is why I book sometimes more than a year in advance. You snooze, you lose.

We got a connecting cabin once after accepting an "upgrade" to a better cabin (the fact that it was a connecting cabin never came up). The couple in the connecting room argued and yelled at each other all week and the sound really travels through that connecting door. NEVER AGAIN!

I always check to make sure we don't have a connecting cabin after that.

As a family of 4, we always book a cabin for 4. There are very few cabins on Carnival that hold 4 that are not connecting. Our PVP has a hard time finding us a non-connecting cabin for 4 people, which is our preferred type. We either book ocean-view or balcony depending on the ship and itinerary.

The only time we've had a connecting room is when Carnival called and offered us an upgrade to a cove balcony (our favorite type of cabin) for a good price and it happened to be a connecting room. We would NEVER book another connecting because we could literally hear EVERY SINGLE THING our neighbors were saying. We also just happened to be under the galley and it sounded like the crew were throwing pots and pans on the floor all night long. Worst cabin we've ever had. It was the Magic, 2439 I believe.

I booked a connecting cabin on our upcoming cruise because it was one of the last cove cabins left that was not under the galley but did change it when another came open. Would prefer a non-connecting cabin if possible but not going to not choose it if it is the only one left in a location I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly our situation.

The cabin I wanted was for three and since we are only two we were not allowed to book it.

All that was left were cabins that connect.

We did not want to be connected to strangers...

I booked a connecting cabin on our upcoming cruise because it was one of the last cove cabins left that was not under the galley but did change it when another came open. Would prefer a non-connecting cabin if possible but not going to not choose it if it is the only one left in a location I want.

Having experienced both, I think I'd prefer galley noise overhead to neighbor noise next door.

The longer this thread goes on, the more I become convinced that OPs concern is correct. Carnival and others could and should make more of an effort to keep connecting cabins available in pairs until the category is full.

Always important to keep in mind that we on CC are in the minority. Most cruisers are not looking at deck plans to see what's overhead or next door. And unlike an individual's selection to be away from the galley, the elevator or other noisy spots, allowing connecting pairs to be broken early on does impact others who book later. The line made the investment in the doors, just as they made investments in 3rd and 4th bunks. They should be more proactive in maximizing this source of revenue. As other's have stated, they already do something like this to protect the extra beds and having an the ability to house an extra person or two in my room is not nearly annoying as neighbor noise from a connecting door that is of no use to me.

To all of you who say "just book early to avoid the situation" it's great that you are in a place in your life where you can do that. Please understand that many of us can not plan our lives years in advance around a cruise. Many of us can't request vacation that far in advance or may not have the job security to plan that far in advance. We might have kids who haven't decided where they are going to school and don't know what their vacation schedule will be. We might have elderly parents who may or may not need us in a couple of months. In short, we may have lives outside of cruising and while we love to cruise, we choose to cruise when we know we can. We have enjoyed times in our lives where things were not so complicated and we were able to get the best cabin at the best rate, but we are not there now. So it would be great if Carnival and others could figure out how to keep connecting cabins available for those who would like them, so that connecting cabins to strangers are not forced upon others.

I don't understand why you can't just book side by side cabins. Is it really that hard to walk next door and open the door? While it might not be the most convenient for you, it is still perfectly manageable. It's no different than me not being able to get my desired cabin if I book later. It's no ones fault, it just is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We use a Carnival PVP and tell him which deck we want then we're given a list of cabin numbers to pick from. If we have a cabin that is adjoining we don't ask if there is someone else that needs it. We take what we have been offered.

As someone who is booked on their 10th and 11th cruise, I can say we've never considered whether our room is connected or not. As what seems is the common sentiment, if your concern is taking care of the family, then book sooner.

As we learned right here on these boards, a week is a long time to walk those halls. It's all about location, location, location. And if that central cabin is connecting, so be it.

We've been responsible parents when we cruised with Jr, as far as not taking him to late shows, bed early, etc. If connecting cabins were important, we'd be all over it. Not inferring at all that the OP is a bad parent, just saying certain things go with the territory.

We've booked as far as 11 months out, and that's still not enough for an aft wrap. Who's fault is that? It's OURS if that's what's important to us.

As someone who is booked on their 10th and 11th cruise, I can say we've never considered whether our room is connected or not. As what seems is the common sentiment, if your concern is taking care of the family, then book sooner.

As we learned right here on these boards, a week is a long time to walk those halls. It's all about location, location, location. And if that central cabin is connecting, so be it.

We've been responsible parents when we cruised with Jr, as far as not taking him to late shows, bed early, etc. If connecting cabins were important, we'd be all over it. Not inferring at all that the OP is a bad parent, just saying certain things go with the territory.

We've booked as far as 11 months out, and that's still not enough for an aft wrap. Who's fault is that? It's OURS if that's what's important to us.

Well said!! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't understand why you can't just book side by side cabins. Is it really that hard to walk next door and open the door? While it might not be the most convenient for you, it is still perfectly manageable. It's no different than me not being able to get my desired cabin if I book later. It's no ones fault, it just is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is the best reply I have read. So true:)

Why pick a connecting cabin if you are only booking one cabin?
In our case, it is because other passengers already selected all the non-connecting cabins in that portion of the ship. [-]Practically no one who doesn't need a connecting cabin actually wants a connecting cabin.[/-]

As a family of 4, we always book a cabin for 4. There are very few cabins on Carnival that hold 4 that are not connecting.
I stand corrected.

It is so frustrating for people with families that actually NEED connecting cabins to look at deck plans and see tons of connecting cabins with one cabin already taken!
This is why we try to book early: We would have gotten our pick of cabins and ideally could have gotten one that is non-connecting.

I don't even see why cruise lines allow this! It is not location either, because most of these cabins have single non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair. So frustrated!
I'm sorry for your frustration, but please know also that you don't know how the non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair got to be unoccupied. I've been checking every few days to see if any of the non-connecting cabins in that part of the ship open up so I can be switched into one. Maybe it'll happen right before final payment, I'm not sure. We'll see. Maybe that's what happened in your case. Or maybe a group canceled. Who knows?

I just booked my cruise last night and had no idea that the room I picked was a connecting room until I noticed it today. I just liked the location and it was the only one in that area. I guess our unknown neighbors had no idea either because the other adjoining room was already booked before me.

On a side note, I'll always double check this in the future because I would prefer not to have a connecting room because of possible noise.

Why pick a connecting cabin if you are only booking one cabin? It is so frustrating for people with families that actually NEED connecting cabins to look at deck plans and see tons of connecting cabins with one cabin already taken! I don't even see why cruise lines allow this! It is not location either, because most of these cabins have single non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair. So frustrated!

Most people avoid them like the plague if they don't want them

Because there is no benefit to a connecting cabin except that it is connecting if that is a feature you need. It is my business because I need connecting cabin in order for my family to sail. I see no point in booking a cabin that is connecting if you don't need that feature and leaving less options for those of us who do, just as there would be no point for me to take an ADA cabin unless I NEEDED it. I do have a PVP that has booked over 5 cruises for me but I always look ahead at cabin options before calling her. She has no explanation for why people book those cabins either.

you " have" to have connecting rooms for your family to sail? I have never booked 2 cabins at a time - but have occasionally noticed on the Carnival website that the only cabins in certain locations were connecting. I personally would hate having one of those, especially if the other people were not even friends or relatives. Enjoy your vent and get a better PVP

This. [emoji122][emoji106]

I book the cabin I want. I do not care if it is the cabin you want.

One more who agrees with this. Other than taking a handicapped cabin, all cabins are first come, first served.

If the OP wants connecting cabins, then they either need to book early or possibly look in another category - or maybe another ship/itinerary.

Unlike some, I do think there are legitimate reasons for wanting connecting cabins - did it once myself with a couple of young teenage grandkids. I wanted to keep a closer eye on them than a cabin across the hall would have let me. I can also see wanting more space and 2 bathrooms, but just because that is what a person wants doesn't mean I have a crystal ball to anticipate their needs, nor is it really any concern of mine.

Because there is no benefit to a connecting cabin except that it is connecting if that is a feature you need. It is my business because I need connecting cabin in order for my family to sail. I see no point in booking a cabin that is connecting if you don't need that feature and leaving less options for those of us who do, just as there would be no point for me to take an ADA cabin unless I NEEDED it. I do have a PVP that has booked over 5 cruises for me but I always look ahead at cabin options before calling her. She has no explanation for why people book those cabins either.

You have the same options anyone does. Book early enough to get your choice of cabins. I sell trade show

space for a living I have to shake my head when people complain that they don't like any of the spaces left when they're trying to book 2 weeks before the show and we've been selling for a full year. It's a mindset that I just can't wrap my head around whether it be cruise cabins, trade show space, or your size being sold out in a shirt you like at Macy's.

My Husband and I wanted a cabin facing the front of the boat, and the only ones that were available were adjoining, and so we picked one.

Why should we not be able to have the room that we want because you 'need' it for your party?? If you are specific about what kind of room you want then book early. Sorry, not sorry.

I try to avoid connecting cabins as I have no need and prefer non - connecting. With my upcoming cruise in December, I was given a connecting cabin. It wasn't by choice as there were only a couple of cabins available which were connecting.