Why do people pick connecting cabins when they don't need them?!

Barnes11

I think the OP has called attention to something many of us may not even think about. I don't think people intentionally choose a connecting cabin without needing it. I agree with the person that posted that Carnival's booking system lacking a booking alert being the root cause. I'll try to look for that on my future bookings. I'd really prefer not to have that door in my cabin, and I think being sensitive to other's needs when possible is a good thing.

If we got a connecting cabin, it probably wasn't on purpose. I tend to dislike having that door there as well. It's an invitation to noise from the next cabin.

And, like someone else posted, if the connecting cabin is the best available cabin (location-wise) when I book the cruise, then that's tough luck on people that wished they could get it after I booked.

We needed connecting for a family of 5 but all the connecting ones were for 3 and 3 so we are paying for a 6th person just to get connecting rooms

However our balconies are not connected - it connects on the opposite side room - maybe look for other options with connected balconies instead? Might find what you need

Not every deck plan shows connecting cabins - I just did a mock booking on the Carnival site and the deck plans there did not show which cabins were connecting cabins.

I just did a mock booking as well (Conquest, Spring 2019, OV, Main deck) and the deck map for choosing a room does show the little arrowhead between cabins indicating connecting rooms. Which ship were you looking at?

I think this is the first time I've come late to a thread and agreed with every single response. Your issue is not with cruisers, it's with Carnival for not putting an alert on the reservation transaction path when room selections are made "You are booking a connecting cabin. If you don't need a connecting cabin, please consider choosing another cabin nearby" or similar language. Your issue is also with yourself for booking later than other people. Book earlier if you know you need a cabin that is in high demand. You almost imply other people are booking these cabins out of disrespect for families, which is, of course, ridiculous.

This 👏

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Sorry this is a problem for you, but I book my cabin according to the type and location. I am paying for this cabin so considering that someone else might want or benefit from it is not a top priority. (Disability cabins are a real need, your family will survive being in non-connecting cabins) Book earlier and you wont have this problem. Sorry but no one should have to justify why they book their cabin! Good Luck in the future :)

I just did a mock booking as well (Conquest, Spring 2019, OV, Main deck) and the deck map for choosing a room does show the little arrowhead between cabins indicating connecting rooms. Which ship were you looking at?

I looked at the Sunshine as we'd sailed her before - no arrows on my screen. I just went back and Magic did have the "arrow" but it's not very prominent ... if someone wasn't aware they may not see them .... and to get a key for what the arrow meant I had to scroll below my screen view.

I looked at the Sunshine as we'd sailed her before - no arrows on my screen. I just went back and Magic did have the "arrow" but it's not very prominent ... if someone wasn't aware they may not see them .... and to get a key for what the arrow meant I had to scroll below my screen view.

True, it's not obvious but it is there. As someone mentioned, it would probably be good for Carnival's web site to flash a warning or something if you're about to select a connecting cabin during a booking.

Why pick a connecting cabin if you are only booking one cabin? It is so frustrating for people with families that actually NEED connecting cabins to look at deck plans and see tons of connecting cabins with one cabin already taken! I don't even see why cruise lines allow this! It is not location either, because most of these cabins have single non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair. So frustrated!

A few years ago we booked a cruise that was rather last minute (39 days from sail date) and we ended up with a connecting balcony cabin. The ONLY reason we chose the connecting balcony cabin was because there was a very limited selection of balcony cabins left at the time we booked. The only others available were right above the night club, so we didn't have much of a choice. We picked that cabin so we could get some sleep at night, not to inconvenience families who NEED connecting cabins.

Why pick a connecting cabin if you are only booking one cabin? It is so frustrating for people with families that actually NEED connecting cabins to look at deck plans and see tons of connecting cabins with one cabin already taken! I don't even see why cruise lines allow this! It is not location either, because most of these cabins have single non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair. So frustrated!

We usually don't book a connecting cabin. There are a limited number of cabins for 3 that aren't connecting and not over or under a noisy area. You can't book a cabin for 2 and many times you aren't allowed to book a cabin for 4. So you are limited to what is available for 3 connecting or not. Therefore we need a cabin for 3.

Unless your 1 adult and 4 children I don't see why it is a need and not a desire. If there are two adults then one in each cabin with a kid or two. Or get a suite that sleeps 5. If your desire is to have connected cabins then book early.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

Because there is no benefit to a connecting cabin except that it is connecting if that is a feature you need. It is my business because I need connecting cabin in order for my family to sail. I see no point in booking a cabin that is connecting if you don't need that feature and leaving less options for those of us who do, just as there would be no point for me to take an ADA cabin unless I NEEDED it. I do have a PVP that has booked over 5 cruises for me but I always look ahead at cabin options before calling her. She has no explanation for why people book those cabins either.

When is this cruise? What ship? Why do you need a connecting cabin instead of a balcony and interior across the hall or 5 in a cabin?

Yeah, it's like people posting frivolous posts, that are extremely narcissistic. And taking up valuable message board space.

They just didn't know any better. How ironic...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mic drop!!!

:cool::')

Because certain cabins have occupancy limits that come before whether it is connecting or not.

You have to book early if you want an aft wrap cabin, a connecting cabin, etc etc etc

Yeah, why do people pick aft wrap cabins when they don't need them (as much as I do)? These should be held vacant in case i decide to use them!

:halo:

Not every deck plan shows connecting cabins - I just did a mock booking on the Carnival site and the deck plans there did not show which cabins were connecting cabins.

I am at the Carnival site right now. The page where you choose your actual cabin DOES indicate the connecting cabins with a symbol and there is a legend below.

I have had the exact opposite issue from the original poster. I have had trouble finding a cabin , in the category I was looking at, that did NOT connect. I don't enjoy the noise from other connecting cabins, so I try to avoid this. I learned this about myself when I told my agent to book me "on the port side , deck 11 spa balcony" and totally forgot about the connecting factor. All we heard at any given time was our neighbor's television, which was right next to the connecting door.

I would guess that it is oversight on the part of the guest who is making their own booking online, but it could also be with the phone agents. I am not sure what thier routine is when making bookings and whether or not they mention the cabin status to the guest. I seriously doubt anyone is purposefully choosing a connecting cabin when they don't need one.

Perhaps Carnival can add a pop-up in the booking engine, similar to the upper/lower alert.

You seem quite angry for something so minor. I do not book connecting cabins as there are always noise issues, but for example, on a MSC cruise I'm planning, the only balconies I can choose are connecting only. I don't have a choice.

A lot of times when people book a cruise online through a travel agent, there's no mention if the cabin is connecting or not without looking at the legend and at the map.

Book early and you get your pick.

Sometimes people with mobility issues need to be by the elevators so they book what is closest regardless if it's connecting. Also, people in groups tend to book as close as they can get to one another.

Other times its maybe the few left in a category at the price point the customer is comfortable paying.

I think we can all agree most would forgo the connecting cabin but sometimes you don't always get to choose.

Some do not realize it. Book early !!!