moderate drinkers did cheers -was it worth it?

iggyc

Get him a frozen margarita, he'll appreciate it more. Tell him it's an adult Slurpee.

HA! Nice.

Just a few weeks ago, while planning the most expensive cruise we will take thus far, I threw out the idea of the Cheers program for being "too expensive". But, we are seriously considering it now. We like to drink on vacation and have always had a bill of a few hundred bucks for drinks, plus the hundred or so for Bon Voyage and carry on champagne and we have been rumrunner smugglers for all 6 cruises. We STILL end up having to watch what we order, order the cheaper drinks, etc. And we buy cheap drinks in port, to kind of make up for it. Once you add all of that up, we may as well get the package.

We had been toying with the idea of going to an Al Inclusive in Cabo, rather than a cruise so we wouldnt have to worry about the budget, but I do not like to fly. SO, we are going to look at this cruise as an All Inclusive and upgrade to a Havana Premium Vista balcony room and get the package for our 20th anniversary. Im rambling but I just wanted to point out the All Inclusive comparison to folks who may be on the fence. Yeah, its a lot of cash at once but we will probably have a S&S balance of under $100 when we leave the ship.

Our experience was that the Alchemy bar was fun but we really liked the Steakhouse bar if you want to try classic cocktails.

I also tried a couple of drinks that I didn't like so I just didn't drink them.

Our MDR waiter was a great source for trying new things. He really knew his liquor. Discovered that adding just a splash of sprite to scotch makes it taste so much better if you don't care for scotch. He turned us on to a good champagne and I think by the end of the trip we had emptied the ship of it.

Sprite and scotch.........nooooooooooo!!!!!!:loudcry: Jk. Glad cheers worked out for you. My problem is they require all adults in the room to have cheers, it would work for me but for my wife it would not be worth it.

I just wish there was a Cheers! Lite program. You know...Half the drinks for half the cost?

That would be PERFECT for our level of drinking.

You know that would be a good idea really. The cheers package is more than my drink bill on the S&S. And I spoke to the safety officer on one ship that says in his job the cheers package is a safety issue with some of the guests. But Carnival feels it needs to be offered cause other lines offer it. But to me if they also along with the cheers package offered a Cheers lite i would be all over that in an instant.

I have an 8 year old. I know sharing isn't allowed but how big a deal is it to slip my kid a milkshake?

Based on my experience, If the bartender knows you and that you are on the cheers program, more often than not he wont charge you for a non-alcoholic drink even if you tell him it is for your kid.

OP

After agonizing and analyzing you got what most people miss.

1) Try new drinks

2) You don't need to drink 15 to break even

3) You didn't worry about it going to S &S card.

Nice to hear another person enjoyed it!

Beerman2 this is a GREAT post! In addition I will add what one poster said: it ENHANCES my experience.

I will often drink a bad drink or watered down drink on land because I didn't want to "waste" money. With Cheers if my drink melted down, I got a new one - thus a better ("enhanced") experience!

HA! Nice.

Just a few weeks ago, while planning the most expensive cruise we will take thus far, I threw out the idea of the Cheers program for being "too expensive". But, we are seriously considering it now. We like to drink on vacation and have always had a bill of a few hundred bucks for drinks, plus the hundred or so for Bon Voyage and carry on champagne and we have been rumrunner smugglers for all 6 cruises. We STILL end up having to watch what we order, order the cheaper drinks, etc. And we buy cheap drinks in port, to kind of make up for it. Once you add all of that up, we may as well get the package.

We had been toying with the idea of going to an Al Inclusive in Cabo, rather than a cruise so we wouldnt have to worry about the budget, but I do not like to fly. SO, we are going to look at this cruise as an All Inclusive and upgrade to a Havana Premium Vista balcony room and get the package for our 20th anniversary. Im rambling but I just wanted to point out the All Inclusive comparison to folks who may be on the fence. Yeah, its a lot of cash at once but we will probably have a S&S balance of under $100 when we leave the ship.

As far as the cash being "all at once" I book my cruise a year in advance and pay monthly. When I step on the ship I know everything is bad for. It's great not to get that bill slide under the door and see all the drinks you forgot! LOL!

And I purchase the 10% off cards and buy Cheers ahead of time so I consider those as my discounts too!!

For me the answer is, "it depends." I would consider myself a very light drinker at home - maybe a couple of drinks a month. On a cruise, on a sea day, I can easily have 6-8 alcoholic beverages over a 14+ hour day. Mathematically, even in a woman that won't produce intoxication. But on a shore day when I have a couple of beverages at lunch and on the beach, it is difficult for me to return, shower and head to dinner and have to meet that 6 drink break even + point. I don't drink coffee or soda so no benefits for me there, and I am platinum and the giant bottle of water in the room is plenty. So, on a cruise with more sea days, or one where we have short ports of call or excursions where I won't drink it, becomes much more cost effective.

On a short 5 day with 2 bahamas stops traveling with other couples, it is very worth it. On the 7 day Fascination with 5-6 ports of call very not worth it.

OP

1) Try new drinks

The reasons you listed are exactly why we get the Cheers package.

As far as the cash being "all at once" I book my cruise a year in advance and pay monthly. When I step on the ship I know everything is bad for. It's great not to get that bill slide under the door and see all the drinks you forgot! LOL!

And I purchase the 10% off cards and buy Cheers ahead of time so I consider those as my discounts too!!

Oh the forgotten drinks lol!! I'm interested in hearing about the 10% off cards?

OP

1) Try new drinks

I have also been going around and around with this decision over the last months. Every time I think I've made her decision I change my mind. I recently committed and paid for the program for our holiday cruise. These are the reasons and I cannot wait to enjoy it!

I stick with the drinks I like. Beer in the afternoon...occassionally a frozen something, and vodka tonics at night, for the most part. I'm not a fan of "mixing" it up...gives you a hangover. I don't do hangovers. I can drink lots of beer over a long period or several vodka tonics before and during dinner. It doesn't knock me out or give me a bad next day. I like to keep it simple! I doubt the package would be much of an advantage to me. I'm good with regular coffee, lemonade or ice water if I'm not drinking booze.

I have also been going around and around with this decision over the last months. Every time I think I've made her decision I change my mind. I recently committed and paid for the program for our holiday cruise. These are the reasons and I cannot wait to enjoy it!

On our cruise in May we saved 400.00 by purchasing Cheers. Many 🍸 and Specialty Drinks.

Beerman2 this is a GREAT post! In addition I will add what one poster said: it ENHANCES my experience.

I will often drink a bad drink or watered down drink on land because I didn't want to "waste" money. With Cheers if my drink melted down, I got a new one - thus a better ("enhanced") experience!

This is me. If I get a drink and I don't like it or I get a beer and it gets warm I feel bad about wasting money. With Cheers I'll just try something else. I'm basically buying peace of mind to enjoy my cruise without remorse.

I also have the freedom to walk up to a bartender and ask them to surprise me.

Based on my experience, If the bartender knows you and that you are on the cheers program, more often than not he wont charge you for a non-alcoholic drink even if you tell him it is for your kid.

Cash tips work some real wonders here and there. They dont cheat the company but will turn a blind eye or make things a bit more affordable.

This next cruise on the Miracle for Halloween will be my first cruise with Cheers! after 3 without. I've always come close to the cost of Cheers! but I've bought drinks and buckets of beers I've shared with others so I am not 100% sure if it will be worth it or not. I am always hesitant to try different drinks or something too expensive in case I don't like it. There is no way I would ever hit 15 alcoholic drinks. BUT I think what will put me and my cabin mate over the top is the coffee drinks each morning for me and my BFF's powerade or energy drinks and bottled water. It will be nice not to have a case of water in the room bought from the Fun Shops prior to the cruise, even though it is cheap.

I am curious about the steakhouse bar. Is that a place you can visit without reservations to the steakhouse or is it only for when you have reservations there?

This next cruise on the Miracle for Halloween will be my first cruise with Cheers! after 3 without. I've always come close to the cost of Cheers! but I've bought drinks and buckets of beers I've shared with others so I am not 100% sure if it will be worth it or not. I am always hesitant to try different drinks or something too expensive in case I don't like it. There is no way I would ever hit 15 alcoholic drinks. BUT I think what will put me and my cabin mate over the top is the coffee drinks each morning for me and my BFF's powerade or energy drinks and bottled water. It will be nice not to have a case of water in the room bought from the Fun Shops prior to the cruise, even though it is cheap.

I am curious about the steakhouse bar. Is that a place you can visit without reservations to the steakhouse or is it only for when you have reservations there?

If you drink around 5 drinks that are in the 9 to 11 dollar range, then like you said, the non-alcoholic drinks will definitely put you over the break even mark, like with us we each will have at least 3 drinks from the coffee bar everyday.

And yes, the bar at the Steakhouse can be visited without reservations.

For me it depends. Cheers is great on a short cruise like 4 nights. But on a 7 night I'm not going to keep up the "pace" required to make it worth while for me from a cost standpoint.

I'm similar, so for our next cruise, I'm creating our own "Cheers Lite" program. I ordered $500 of AARP Carnival gift cards at 10% discount ($450) and this will be DH and my Cheers package. I feel good that I've already saved some $ so i feel like we're "getting a deal", lol. I'm almost certain we'd never have 5-6 drinks/day for 7 days straight, so I'm pretty sure we'll be ahead in the end. We'll still bring 2 bottles of wine onboard (which i wouldn't do if i had Cheers) and order water from the Fun Shops. We're not big coffee drinkers and don't drink soda, energy drinks or milkshakes. I think it'll be a good test for us to see if we'll want Cheers in the future.

OP

1) Try new drinks

This is exactly me! So worth it!