Post-Cruise Hotel Check-in Time

nolegirl01

For those of you that booked a hotel stay right after your cruise, have you ever had any problems trying to check in so early at a hotel on disembarkation day? We booked a stay at a hotel in Barcelona post-cruise and our cruise docks at 5am on disembarkation day. I'm worried that us trying to check in at 6am or even 7am, they would either charge us a night or not let us into our room until check in time. Any one have any experiences with that? thank you!

Will you be getting off so early that you will be at the hotel 7am? I would have breakfast on board and get off around 8 even if you have a day of sightseeing planned. Depending on what you want to see it probably won't be open earlier!

It's doubtful you will be able to check in so early but the hotel should store your luggage for you, and you can come back later to check in. At 6am the previous occupants will likely still be asleep in your room! It's worth checking the hotel website for confirmation that they store luggage and that their reception desk will be open early. Smaller B&Bs don't always have the facility to store luggage, and often don't run 24hr front desks.

Our Epic cruise docked in Barcelona at 5am but I don't remember them announcing that you could disembark until around 6.30 or 7.

For those of you that booked a hotel stay right after your cruise, have you ever had any problems trying to check in so early at a hotel on disembarkation day? We booked a stay at a hotel in Barcelona post-cruise and our cruise docks at 5am on disembarkation day. I'm worried that us trying to check in at 6am or even 7am, they would either charge us a night or not let us into our room until check in time. Any one have any experiences with that? thank you!

I can't speak for European hotels (although I have found the rules to be even less bend-able there), but only rarely can you check into a U.S. hotel as early as 8 or 9 am on the day of your scheduled arrival. In most cases, there won't be rooms empty and cleaned yet. Most hotels will offer to check your bags for you, check you in (swipe your credit card) and then offer to call you when the room is ready later in the day.

I'd suggest calling the hotel and asking. They might be flexible about it if they are not heavily booked the day before.

Hotels all around the world have "official"check in times for late afternoon for one big reason - they need time to clean rooms. Yea, there a few hotels that are just jerks, but most are just trying to manage their rooms.

We have checked into hotels as early as 7am. Rare, but it happens.

You show up. If they have a room available, most hotels will give it to you. Again, only a jerk is going let an empty room stay empty until 3pm because of some silly rule.

We always show up. If they can give us a room, great. If not, leave your bags and go enjoy the city. I assume you took the time to enjoy a good breakfast onboard before you leave.

I have had it happen both ways. Sometimes I can check in as soon as I arrive, other times I have to wait. It depends on a number of factors, the most important being do they have any rooms ready. I have never been to a hotel that had rooms available that did not let me check in as soon as I arrived. If rooms are not available the key to getting in sooner is to be a member of the hotels loyalty program and have a high status.

I've done pretty well in Europe. It used to be that if they had a room they would let you in, if you weren't picky about location. But some hotels are now starting to charge. In Hamburg, we just paid 30 euro for a guanteed 11 a.m. check in. We were happy to pay it for the peace of mind, but that was after a transatlantic flight and we knew we needed the rest. Contact your hotel and see if they offer anything.

After a cruise, I would probably take my chances since fatigue shouldn't be an issue. Either they have a room or, in the worst case I would leave bags and explore. You can leave the ship as late as they will let you and there is so much great stuff to do in Barcelona.

I always arrive at a hotel with my expectations low, and ask if I can store my luggage until my room will be ready. And ask, what is a good time to check back in case a room opens up early? Be as polite as pecan pie and they will almost always see what they can do for you.

Thank you all for your responses! I definitely don't expect any special treatment I was just wondering if it was possible and was wondering what do most people do. I can't call the hotel and find out exactly since its an international number but I'll call once I'm there. Hopefully like you all said if the room is available they will let us in, if not I'll ask to store our luggage, no biggie. It's a Marriott hotel so me being a loyalty member hopefully will help my cause, if not it's no worries, I won't be too upset. Of course if they are sold out and there is nothing they can do then understandable. I didn't know that when the ship docks at 5am you have until 9-9:30am to leave, so we'll definitely take our sweet time! Thank you all!

...I can't call the hotel and find out exactly since its an international number but I'll call once I'm there. Hopefully like you all said if the room is available they will let us in, if not I'll ask to store our luggage, no biggie. It's a Marriott hotel so me being a loyalty member hopefully will help my cause, ...

Calling really would not get you an accurate answer anyways. You could easily get the standard 3pm policy. Nobody knows until that day as to how soon rooms come open. Having status will help. By the way, most cell phones have pretty cheap rates to call intl - though I would not bother.

If you take your time leaving, you will not get there until 10-10:30... so hope for the best.