Fort Myers to Port Everglades

parkbr

Hello.

I just found a cheap flight ticket to Fort Myers a day before our cruise and I wonder how to get to Fort Myers to Port Everglades.

I wonder how much 1 way rental car would cost (as I read some waive one way drop off fees) and the toll fee. Would some rental car companies offer free or cheap transportation to the port everglades if we were to drop off the car in the morning of?

Going to Fort Myers will save us about 240 (downside is we have to wake up very early to catch the flight), so i want to compare it is a good option or not, given there's rental car cost with a car seat + 2 hr extra driving time (cons) + comfort of having a car (pro) :confused:

Have read your other post...So you've decided to fly into Fort Meyers Saturday afternoon arrival (for Sunday departure cruise), rent car & car seat...drive to Fort Lauderdale stay in hotel one night. Sorry I would have spent the $'s you're trying to save (do it elsewhere) and fly into FLL.... taxi, hotel shuttle or Uber to pre-cruise hotel and get to Port Everglades the next morning by using the same. JMHO

Have read your other post...So you've decided to fly into Fort Meyers Saturday afternoon arrival (for Sunday departure cruise), rent car & car seat...drive to Fort Lauderdale stay in hotel one night. Sorry I would have spent the $'s you're trying to save (do it elsewhere) and fly into FLL.... taxi, hotel shuttle or Uber to pre-cruise hotel and get to Port Everglades the next morning by using the same. JMHO

Hi!

We have not booked anything yet and after reading previous posts and comments for my other post, I am more leaning towards flying in Friday, spend a full day in Fort Lauderdale (most like the museum and beach) and the next day, cruise.

I don't think we will be saving too much and just adding more stress to our trip.

I think that's what you are also telling me, so I feel much better about not flying into Fort Myers.

Agreement with the advice here. Definitely fly into FLL. What is the hotel pricing? Car rental pricing? You aren't actually saving $240 since you have other expenses involved, gas, etc. No way is that worth it.

Hi!

We have not booked anything yet and after reading previous posts and comments for my other post, I am more leaning towards flying in Friday, spend a full day in Fort Lauderdale (most like the museum and beach) and the next day, cruise.

I don't think we will be saving too much and just adding more stress to our trip.

I think that's what you are also telling me, so I feel much better about not flying into Fort Myers.

Yes exactly what I was trying to to tell you.

Again I'll recommend booking Hyatt Place (http://www.valuetrips.com)...they have a $2.00 per room shuttle from FLL to their hotel...great updated rooms...great hot breakfast...and great location right off 17th Street and next to the Harbor Shopping with a Publix market as well as other shops and some great restaurants including Duffys & Gilberts our favorites. You can then easily taxi or Uber to the port which is a cheap quick ride.

We recently traveled with extended family which included a 3 year old grandson and Hyatt Place and location worked out so well for us.

Enjoy whatever works best for you...I'm just offering what has with many many cruises out of Port Everglades worked for us even now with new little additions to our family.

Hello,

I know flying into Fort Myers is not recommended by many of you, but I re-considering this option for several reasons.

I am also considering flying into MCO as well. Flying into RSW/MCO and flying out of FLL will be about the same price, but much better flight.

(we will get home around 5:30 PM, instead of 10:30 PM. I am concerned about getting home too late because of our toddler, as by the time we get back home, it would be well past midnight.)

And doing more research, it seems like we need to have a car seat from Fort Lauderdale hotels to Port Everglade, if we don't get a bus or shuttle that offers the car seat.

Then I was thinking maybe it's better if we bring our own car seat and rent a car, my husband drops me and our daughter with luggage at the cruise terminal, and go back to the rental car company and drop off the car and take the shuttle back (just himself without luggage). I heard this is possible. Is that true?

When we're back, we can decide to take a taxi, as we have our car seat?

The rental car costs about $75 for 1 day either from RSW or MCO. I see from some posts here that it can be as cheap as $40. I have not yet found price that good though..

Is that valid thoughts? Or should we just fly to FLL with our carseat? For ideal flight times to and from FLL, it's about ~$200 - 400 more for 3 of us. (flights has gone up since my last posting, but I am hoping that it will come down, as it has been fluctuating every 12-48 hours in the past 2 weeks)

My biggest concern about driving (either from MCO or RSW) is that I read something about: highway - florida license plate - Sun (something) charges, etc etc. What are those? We're from Canada, so not even familiar with EZ pass. Could someone explain it to me please?

We're planning to fly down a day or two before and be near or in Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise.

We'll be returning the vehicle around 10AM (is this okay time?) or so.

Hi! We live in the Fort Myers area. Although we live in the Fort Myers area, we are renting a car to drive to FLL for a cruise and returning from the Port of Miami. There is no toll between RSW until south of Naples on I-75, the most direct route. The actual toll between here and FLL is (I believe) $3 but be sure to pay it at toll booths or you get hit with exorbitant fees from the rental car agencies. For complete and accurate info about tolls, call Collier County (where Naples is) or the state Sun Pass agency. (They are very nice and very helpful.)

You can check any of the maps applications and select "avoid tolls" as an option to find alternative routes. Going to FLL, adds about 35 minutes to your trip.

Having said all of that, I would fly into FLL unless the price differential is huge. Not worth the added worry to you. Moreover, is adding a couple more hours in a car harder on your little one than a late arrival (they probably will sleep on the plane)?

Good luck!

Hi! We live in the Fort Myers area. Although we live in the Fort Myers area, we are renting a car to drive to FLL for a cruise and returning from the Port of Miami. There is no toll between RSW until south of Naples on I-75, the most direct route. The actual toll between here and FLL is (I believe) $3 but be sure to pay it at toll booths or you get hit with exorbitant fees from the rental car agencies. For complete and accurate info about tolls, call Collier County (where Naples is) or the state Sun Pass agency. (They are very nice and very helpful.)

You can check any of the maps applications and select "avoid tolls" as an option to find alternative routes. Going to FLL, adds about 35 minutes to your trip.

Having said all of that, I would fly into FLL unless the price differential is huge. Not worth the added worry to you. Moreover, is adding a couple more hours in a car harder on your little one than a late arrival (they probably will sleep on the plane)?

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response. We are still figuring out costs as to whether it is benefitial or not.

2-3 hour drive is relatively easy for our daughter than late flight because she is used to road trip and refuses to sleep at night when she's not in her own bed. And I forgot to mention that our disembarking day is Sunday and we are working and our daughter goes to daycare on Monday. (The next day)

Depending on where you live in Canada, if you are close to the US border, check out flying from the closest US airport into FLL. We have done this many times flying out of North Dakota, and saving a substantial amount even with the exchange and parking fees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depending on where you live in Canada, if you are close to the US border, check out flying from the closest US airport into FLL. We have done this many times flying out of North Dakota, and saving a substantial amount even with the exchange and parking fees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. We have looked Buffalo (1hr away) and Detroit (3.5 hr away) and they are either almost at par or even more expensive. Given that we are traveling in December, I wish not to go all the way to Detroit. I find Cleveland and Pittsburg too far of drive (and isn't much cheaper)

I am closely monitoring their prices too along with Toronto departure.

I am not saying it's overly expensive compare to what others were saying in other posts (~600) but if I want to fly during the ideal times and hopefully non-stop then it gets $$$.

When you check airfares, also check Allegiant and Frontier airlines which fly into the Punta Gorda airport. The latter is 35 miles north of the Fort Myers airport on I-75. (Again, no toll until you get south of Naples and closer to the east coast of Florida). Many of my neighbors are from Cincinnati and find fares considerable cheaper than the major airlines.

Hello,

I know flying into Fort Myers is not recommended by many of you, but I re-considering this option for several reasons.

I am also considering flying into MCO as well. Flying into RSW/MCO and flying out of FLL will be about the same price, but much better flight.

(we will get home around 5:30 PM, instead of 10:30 PM. I am concerned about getting home too late because of our toddler, as by the time we get back home, it would be well past midnight.)

And doing more research, it seems like we need to have a car seat from Fort Lauderdale hotels to Port Everglade, if we don't get a bus or shuttle that offers the car seat.

Then I was thinking maybe it's better if we bring our own car seat and rent a car, my husband drops me and our daughter with luggage at the cruise terminal, and go back to the rental car company and drop off the car and take the shuttle back (just himself without luggage). I heard this is possible. Is that true?

When we're back, we can decide to take a taxi, as we have our car seat?

The rental car costs about $75 for 1 day either from RSW or MCO. I see from some posts here that it can be as cheap as $40. I have not yet found price that good though..

Is that valid thoughts? Or should we just fly to FLL with our carseat? For ideal flight times to and from FLL, it's about ~$200 - 400 more for 3 of us. (flights has gone up since my last posting, but I am hoping that it will come down, as it has been fluctuating every 12-48 hours in the past 2 weeks)

My biggest concern about driving (either from MCO or RSW) is that I read something about: highway - florida license plate - Sun (something) charges, etc etc. What are those? We're from Canada, so not even familiar with EZ pass. Could someone explain it to me please?

We're planning to fly down a day or two before and be near or in Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise.

We'll be returning the vehicle around 10AM (is this okay time?) or so.

You are way over thinking this. Fly to FLL and use shuttles and taxis and relax. :p

Or should we just fly to FLL with our carseat?
yes, you should. What car seat do you have? how old, tall and heavy is your toddler?

Unless you take a shuttle, you will need a car seat for the taxi. If you take a shuttle of some kind, then you won't need your car seat.

In any case, I just wanted to say - don't rent a car seat. EVER.

yes, you should. What car seat do you have? how old, tall and heavy is your toddler?

Unless you take a shuttle, you will need a car seat for the taxi. If you take a shuttle of some kind, then you won't need your car seat.

In any case, I just wanted to say - don't rent a car seat. EVER.

The car seat that we're thinking of taking is (I think) Evenflo triumph. It maybe something else. (we have 3 car seats....)

She's 3 and 37 inches and 33 pounds. So I think she has to be in a car seat.

Is shuttle pricy? easy to get?

Why do you say don't rent a car seat? Is it filthy? I've never rented one, so I don't know. We always either carried one with us or our friends lent theirs to us.