Live from the Sea Princess-12/3 to 12/17

PescadoAmarillo

We are having a great time on the Sea Princess. We flew to FLL a day earlier and stayed at the La Quinta Hollywood (highly recommended). They offered a very well organized shuttle to Port Everglades. We were in line at 11:30am; doors opened about 11:50am, we were checked in and in our cabin by 12:30pm, luggage was delivered within two hours. Sailaway last night was delayed about an hour due to late arriving charter airline passengers from the UK...we sailed about 8:05pm. We celebrated sailaway as the only couple in the highest hot tub on the very back of the ship. PC dinner at 8:25 (no wait), wonderful service, same old Sailaway Menu (time to change that, Princess!). We are in an inside cabin aft on Aloha deck, and love the storage in the cabin (way more than we need) and the proximity to the aft decks and hot tubs.

Interesting and fun passenger mix...70% Brits, most of the remainder are from the US. Definitely older crowd, but not geriatric. 1350 people embarked yesterday in FLL, the ship is sailing totally full with 2000 passengers (in fact, Princess phoned us in CO 12 hours before we left for the airport offering a cabin upgrade and $700 to postpone our cruise until 12/31...we didn't take the offer).

We are currently just outside of Princess Cays, arriving about 45 minute late this morning.

If anyone has any questions, I have free internet:D and 14 days to answer them.

Dear JMB410.

We just got off the Sea Princess on Dec. 3. We had a great cruise. Every thing was wonderful. We met such great people! Hope you have a great cruise. If you meet Patrick and Allen (Physicians from London), please say Hi to them from Mary and Ed. The best to you and have a wonderful time.

Missing the Sea Princess,

Mary and Ed

Just checked your cam and it shows wonderful weather.

Only minus 5 here so anything would be better.

One thought but won't be able to answer until you depart.

Thinking of changing to an earlier flight out of Lauderdale due to limited number of passembers getting off. Hate to wait at aiport for 6 hours if I don't have to..

Let me know what you think after your wonderful 2 weeks.

I am surprised that a Charter plane was coming to the US with Brits. I thought the majority of the Brits would be boarding the plane in Barbados.

I thought exactly the same thing Coral. But not so...this group was to have taken a BA flight from Heathrow to FLL, but it was changed before they left to a charter flight on Thomas Cook from Gatwick to Miami, which left London and arrived in Miami two hours late.

In answer to the disembarkation time...1350 people boarding in FLL means 1350 getting off on December 17, which I think would normally make for a fast and easy disembarkation, but I have cruised into FLL the weekend before Christmas before and know that we can expect a regular circus there, so our experience on that day may not be a good indication of what you might expect on another disembarkation from the same ship.

I found snorkelling at Princess Cays to be better than when I was there in December 2003, which was a nice surprise, as I am happiest with my head underwater. The Sea Princess was the only ship there yesterday, and we had plenty of room to spread out. The weather was, as you noted, sunny and 79 degrees. We have been very lucky!

If Alastair Greener is your CD, and if you like this sort of thing, he has a very good morning TV show. Quite funny...I was delighted when I got on board and saw that he was the CD, as we had him last year on the Sapphire Princess LA to Sydney cruise (where we had a lot of time to get to know him and his sense of humor) and we find him very good and funny. We won a free drink of the day in this morning's show's trivia contest (my luckiest moment ever, sad to say).

PC dinners in the Rigaletto dining room have been very good, and service has been excellent with our two different waiters. We really enjoy PC dining, and usually lower our service expectations a bit, but that has not been the case on this cruise...very delighted. Breakfast service in the dining room on two mornings has been a been spotty, but we enjoy the full service on mornings when we have the time. Today's Horizon Court features a chocolate, meringue and pie buffet, so we'll be there early and with bells on!:D

Tonight is our first formal night, and tomorrow starts 9 solid days in ports...I'll check in with this thread as I am able. Our weather today is mostly sunny and 81...perfect!

Our cabin steward (Raul from Mexico) is wonderful...we placed special requests for extra bath towels and pool towels, and an extra Patter each night. He wrote them down, and all have been promptly delivered.

Interesting note...our soda card for this 14 night cruise was $49 plus tip ($56.35 total), or $3.50 a day, NOT $3.95 as is frequently reported. I know that Princess has raised the price a bit, but it is still the best deal going if you are not a big alcohol drinker and drink club soda all day long as I do. I know that it is generally believed that the soda card is the same price per day on all cruises, but I don't think that's the case...on our 30 night cruise last year it was just $65 plus tip, so I think it may be a bit less expensive on cruises longer than 7 nights.

Juices in the Horizon Court this morning....orange and cranberry. I'll watch it to see if it changes.

The Captain this trip is Michael Kent.

Internet is VERY slow. My husband has given up, as it requires too much patience compared to our high speed at home. After paying for it by the minute every cruise of my life till this one, I'm very happy to be able to slow down a bit as I type! The charges show on our account, and then reverse out at 2am each morning. And printing appears to be free also for Platinum and Elite.

Thanks for taking the time to post answers to questions and let us know what's happening aboard. We still have a few months until our Sea Princess cruise but we love reading about the ship and the experiences people have.

Was wondering since she's an older ship than we're use to what condition she's in? We sailed on her several years ago and had a fabulous time and look forward to another great trip. Are the bathrooms smaller than the other ships?

Enjoy your trip.

Mutch appreciated in your response to my questions.

Which deck would you be on with Raul?

Won't be long and we will be aborad.

This cool weather is getting to me.:o

Library Chick - Well how was it as your group was the first with our intinerary.

A few on our roll call are curious on excursions. Mind you being so port intensive I may pass on a few. Have to look at a cruise with more sea days in it.

Thanks again

john

I just wrote my long review of the Nov. 19 - Dec. 3 cruise but it takes a while before it shows up under CC's member reviews. Here are the tours I recommend:

Tortola - ship tour Secret beach Brewer's Bay or ask a cab to take you to this beach

Antigua - Book online with Eli's Eco Tours run by Adventure Antigua

Dominica - book with Reyno Tours online or just ask where Reynold is when you get off the ship

Martinique - ship's tour St. Pierre and rum distillery

Barbados - book online with Silver Moon run by Ocean Adventures

Grenada - book online with Mandoo Tours or just ask for him when you get off the ship

Isla Margarita - just hang out at the port - Stand 42 run by Mercedes gives you a great price for pearls $30 for long necklace and matching earrings- the man who runs the black coral stand sells you 2 black coral bracelets for $25 - ball caps are $5 - Polar beer and free peanuts in the covered bar area with live entertainment was paradise to us

Aruba - email Carla at jollypirates.com and tell her you plan to meet her pirate ship at MooMba Beach for a wonderful day of snorkeling, eating and drinking - call her if you think you'll be late and she'll get a boat to take you out to the ship if it's already left

Grand Cayman - book a tour online or in person with Captain Marvin. This company has an excellent reputation. Afterward, go to Senor Frog's and ask Pablo to be your waiter. Drink frozen margaritas, eat quesadillas and nachos.

Keep posting and we'll keep reading,

Linda

Thank you.

Yes seems all OK but have called TA about flight time home. May move it up.

I wonder how she enjoyed the Silver Moon.

We loved it earlier this year and booked it again for January.

It's the only excursion we had in common. Most of mine are beach related. But since they are from Florida it makes sence. Now if I was from Northern Ontario ..WELL...:eek:

mustering, do you have to muster twice since you will be taking on new passengers in Barbados? I know you probably will not know the answer to this until later, but I was just wondering. Also, I'd like to know how smoothly things go on Saturday when passengers are trying to disembark for shore excursions and also to disembark for home.

Thanks for the updates, only 79 days until Sea Princess cruise 2006!!!!

WWe are going on the Sea Princess in April 8.We have cabin A636.Is that near your cabin.We are near the elevators and below aft pools.Is there any significant noise related to having cabins on that area. Glad you are having a nice time.Have read some earilier reviews stating that entertainment was geared for the British.Do not really know difference from British entertainment to American entertainment.They stated there were alot of movies shown in the second showroom.We were on the Dawn this year and most of the nights they had two pretty good shows in each showroom.How is the MUTS movies?Gone to see any of those. Appreciate you keeping us informed of your wonderful cruise.

Watched 2 MUTS. Good sound and picture. Popcorn was terrible, it was like they made it in a regular theater popper but with NO butter or oil in the cooking and no salt. It was full of burnt hulls and bone dry, plus all they had was table salt which fell right off the dry puffs. 3 bites, threw it away and picked out hulls for the rest of the cruise. :D MUTS very much like an old drive in movie without a snack bar [my waistline really didn't miss the snack bar] MUTS much better than a climbing wall for us oldies but goodies.

Dan

Nice to hear the good reviews so far regarding your cruise. Looked at the bridge cam today & looks like a beautiful day for your visit. What good tours did you hear about on Tortola & what did you do? Wishing you all smooth sails. We will be on same route on the Sea for Feb 25 cruise.

Seems if the popcorn was that bad it would be time for a trip to the Horizon court and come back with tray full of munchies.

My DW loves popcorn so she will not be impressed. But I am sure she will find something else.:eek:

We just returned to the ship and are still in port in Tortola. Our weather was mostly sunny and hot, with three 5 minute misty rainshowers throughout the day. Very nice. We boarded the ferry to Virgin Gorda on our own and visited the Baths. I highly recommend it. The ferry terminal is about a 15 minute walk from the time you disembark the ship (off to the left, a red roofed building). We got the times from the internet, and ended up on the 9am Speedy's ferry ($30 pp included the taxi transfers to the Baths from the ferry port on Virgin Gorda). There was a $3 per adult entrance fee, and about a 10 minute walk (fairly rock...you need to be in fair physical shape and have good knees) down to the beach. On the right side is the Baths beach, where I snorkeled (it was pretty good, but you had to be a good swimmer today...lots of waves, don't know if it is always like that). The best snorkeling I found was off to the right off the beach, but WATCH THOSE ROCKS! I was very caught up in the fish and coral and all of a sudden things turned white from the wave froth and very choppy. We then hiked through the caves to the other beach called Devils Cave Beach. Again, you need to be in fair condition to do this, it is a bit slippy...heavy duty Tevas or beach shoes work well. We stayed a while on that beach and went back through the caves and hiked up to the taxi stand, where we caught the Speedys taxi back for the 2:45pm ferry. Bought a couple of postcards and a baseball hat for my husband on the walk back to the ship. A really fun day!

The sun is setting over the island and DH is waiting for me in the bar, so I will just mention that formal night was very nice last night. We attended the 5:30p captain's cocktail party, and made reservations for dinner at 6pm in the Rigaletto dining room. We only make reservations when we feel a crowd will hit all at one time, such as after the cocktail party last night, and we were quickly seated. We have met many very interesting people at dinnner, and really enjoy the PC dining concept both for that reason and the flexibility.

Tomorrow we are going to Orient Beach on St. Martin...a relaxing day. On St. Kitts the next day, we are doing an ATV tour through the ship. I'll check back in a couple of days.

To answer your questions, we are on the Aloha Deck almost at the very back. We love the location, and especially the door at the back that opens onto a large balcony (we call it OUR balcony!;) ). It is nice to walk down the corridor and see the outdoors...we call it the light at the end of the tunnel. It is a very quiet location, but we are not close to the elevators. I have not noticed any noise from the elevators in the hallway....the aft elevators are not as used as the forward ones.

We are to tender in St. Martin tomorrow...we understand that the dock is under construction and all ships are tendering.:( We will be closer to the town, but as we are taking a taxi to Orient Beach, it will cost us valuable sun time!

I'll check in tomorrow or the next day and time permits.

Glad you enjoyed The Baths on Virgin Gorda. We have friends that have a winter home within walking distance, and have enjoyed many hours there. I highly recommend a visit there to anyone whose cruise stops in Tortola.

Looking forward to hearing more from you, and thanks for taking the time to post your live reports. Enjoy!

About the entertainment...there was a comedian the second evening who we found hilarious, but not many people were laughing. I think his humor appealed more to Americans and younger Americans at that. The Brits commented the next day they did not like him, but we found a few others that found him as funny as we did. So, the entertainment seems to be appealing to just part of the ship each night. The production show last night was Cinematastic. It was very good (we love the production shows best anyways), but it was obvious from where we were sitting (5th row back) that the male singer (Scott Hunnecutt) was lip synching. We were curious about this and asked one of the CD staff later. Apparantley Scott has a bad flu. Given that, it was amazing that he was able to hold up as well as he did. It was his own soundtrack that he was lip synching to, but it was obviously recorded in a studio as he was able to be very vocal during some pretty physical dancing.

Again, I have to say that the size of the Princess Theater results in making it necessary to get to the theater at least 30 minutes early for the popular shows. We got there 40 minutes early last evening to get good seats; there were no seats left (not even singles) by 15 minutes prior to the show. I know people say that each show is offered more than one evening, and there is the Vista Lounge too, but the reality is that the theaters on Princess ships are not large enough. This has been the case on every Princess cruise we've been on, and is another reason we enjoy PC dining so much, as it allows us to beat the crowd to the theater. I'm not complaining here, just stating the reality. We are enjoying every minute of the cruise, and have found the service and attitudes of the staff to be excellent...really wonderful.

Archived