Looking for Manatee's on the way from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale

lucywestie

In mid December we disembark from our 7 day Rhapsody cruise in Tampa and then will be driving to Fort Lauderdale to spend the night before embarking on another cruise out of Miami.

Just wondering if any locals know where we might be able to stop along the way to have a chance at viewing Manatee's in the wild.

From Google maps we would be driving down to Naples then across the Everglades to FL.

If you take a different route to head east across the state (70 to 710), in between West Palm Beach and Riviera Beach, there is Manatee Lagoon:

http://www.visitmanateelagoon.com/

I second this recommendation. Viewing is especially good on a cooler day in the winter -- we saw over 50 manatees the first time we went shortly after it opened (and zero the second time in late March on a warm day).

I can't think of anything really "on the way" - other than a few viewing areas that SOMETIMES have manatees. It's a shot in the dark. Better off visiting Sea World next time you are in Orlando - much better view of them, too. Or trying to make a trip out of the manatees and swimming with/viewing them in the springs further north.

b8cd87fcdf8b6b58978864ed9dfcc45d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I went snorkeling one December in Crystal River ... it was amazing swimming with the manatees.

We have paddle boards and often see them along the Intracoastal as well as in the inner canals .. they swim alongside or up to our paddle boards sometimes.

Try Crystal River. It's a bit North of Tampa but the river was full of manatees

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just south of Crystal River: Homosassa Wildlife Park. They have an under water viewing area. It's absolutely amazing at feeding time. It's a bit out of your way, a little over an hour north of Tampa, but so worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could try Manatee Park in Ft Myers. It is located just off I 75 near a power plant. The manatees gather there in cooler weather. Admission is either free or cheap, I can't remember.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk