Galveston weather concerns

Can New Orleans handle a Freedom class ship? Perhaps that area might have its own problems a few days from now.

New Orleans is a home port for CCL and they have staff and systems there. How/who is going to serve RCI in New Orleans?

The term "net revenue" is kind of weird.

Net operating profit is a very common term in the financial industry. Having worked for 2 of the top 10 financial services companies...they all used that term. Net is all that matters, since operating costs are taken out of the equation prior to determining the net profit. So much for that...

P.S. My meteorologist husband just reminded me this forecast has been out there for a week. Royal Caribbean chose to ignore it.

Please let me preface my observation comment by stating this is neither a criticism nor personal statement towards you or your husband...but he would likely be the first to say that given the scale of this hurricane...weather can significantly change at an hourly pace...any forecast a week old is likely less reliable than flipping a coin.

Just for reference, Coast Guard is now doing rooftop helicopter rescues in the area. Logistics be damned at this point. There is no choice but to divert all these ships to a safe port. New Orleans, Mobile and Tampa should be used. Galveston is no longer an option and won't be for at least a week or longer.

Coming into port does not necessarily mean debarking. I believe this gives people options. If they want to venture out and try to make it home they can. If they want to stay on the ship they can. People living in Galveston and Houston have the option now to travel if they want so the cruise passengers should be able to do the same. I don't believe for one minute that RCCL will force passengers off of the ship until they can safely reach their destination.

Not much moving here in Houston other than rescue boats removing people from flooded area. I am unable to leave after my shift due to flooding.

No Carnival on Friday elected to take their 3 ships in New Orleans.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Carnival took the Freedom and Valor to New Orleans because they needed supplies. The Breeze remained in Cozumel (because they were already there) and departed last night. All 3 of the Carnival ships are currently headed to Galveston and will dock when the ports open.

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

New Orleans is a home port for CCL and they have staff and systems there. How/who is going to serve RCI in New Orleans?

Maybe I'm extremely naive but I have to believe that in disaster situations like this people and companies would help each other out.

Net operating profit is a very common term in the financial industry. Having worked for 2 of the top 10 financial services companies...they all used that term. Net is all that matters, since operating costs are taken out of the equation prior to determining the net profit. So much for that...

Please let me preface my observation comment by stating this is neither a criticism nor personal statement towards you or your husband...but he would likely be the first to say that given the scale of this hurricane...weather can significantly change at an hourly pace...any forecast a week old is likely less reliable than flipping a coin.

I think that's what most people assumed. The weather can change at any moment. The issue with Harvey though was that it was unique in the sense that every model had it staying put in the same area and not moving anywhere. Most of these storms would hit and shift east, west etc but would keep moving. Therefore after a day or so the area would be passable etc. Harvey was always, no matter how many models you looked at going to be pretty much stationary. That meant the flooding in the area as a whole was going to be worse. Added to the fact that there is only ne way in and out of Galveston made for a highly unfavorable situation.

This clearly up or changing significantly in a favorable stance in a short time period was minimal to none with this storm.

I think that's what most people assumed. The weather can change at any moment. The issue with Harvey though was that it was unique in the sense that every model had it staying put in the same area and not moving anywhere. Most of these storms would hit and shift east, west etc but would keep moving. This was always, no matter how many models you looked at going to be pretty much stationary.

This clearly up or changing significantly in a favorable stance was minimal to none with this storm.

Yeah...a Quigee board had the same probability of forecasting this hurricane, despite the best of intentions of many weather professionals.

Coming into port does not necessarily mean debarking. I believe this gives people options. If they want to venture out and try to make it home they can. If they want to stay on the ship they can. People living in Galveston and Houston have the option now to travel if they want so the cruise passengers should be able to do the same. I don't believe for one minute that RCCL will force passengers off of the ship until they can safely reach their destination.

People living in Houston have no option for travel right now. And people who've been on a cruise ship shouldn't be given the option to disrupt emergency services or clog the roadways while trying to navigate through the city.

This situation is nowhere near resolving, and if RCI puts the ship in port, there will undoubtedly be people who want to push the limits to get home, or don't understand what they are venturing into. They need to stay away right now.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Carnival took the Freedom and Valor to New Orleans because they needed supplies. The Breeze remained in Cozumel (because they were already there) and departed last night. All 3 of the Carnival ships are currently headed to Galveston and will dock when the ports open.

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

4 ships potentially all docked tomorrow sounds like the area could be chaotic. Immigration and baggage handlers could be spread thin. When was the last time they had 4 ships in dock at the same time?

Boy, doesn't this thread just really prove the adage "The eye of the beholder"?

Every person on here has a different view and opinion. We are certainly a diverse bunch aren't we? Reminds me of Psych 101...assessing the situation, there are 3 realities: What you see, what others see and what is really happening.....just sayin...

Maybe in a couple of weeks, we will know what really happened and how and why certain decisions were made....for now, nobody really knows.

Maybe I'm extremely naive but I have to believe that in disaster situations like this people and companies would help each other out.

Carnival people won't know RCI's processes and systems and those systems won't be available in New Orleans. RCI would have to charter in their own people and set up a mobile outpost. Not easy and not efficient when you're debarking 3,500 people.

Yeah...a Quigee board had the same probability of forecasting this hurricane, despite the best of intentions of many weather professionals.

But normally models change the closer to the event they get. This stayed pretty consistent. The lingering rain and flooding should not have come as a surprise. Cindy's husband got this spot on.

If/when the ship docks today, and the passengers are given the option of leaving or staying onboard until tomorrow (or later?), I wonder how many people would get off the ship not knowing how bad things are in terms of transportation. And if someone gets off the ship and realizes that they basically can't go anywhere (like through/past Houston), I would guess that they cannot get back on the ship to spend the night. Not a good situation.

Maybe in a couple of weeks, we will know what really happened and how and why certain decisions were made....for now, nobody really knows.

Amen. This is a three act play and we're only half way through the second act.

No, this rainfall/storm model and the possibility of catastrophic flooding in the area has always been a possibility with Harvey. Those of us who are living it have known since Thursday this could happen.

You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In my opinion, Royal Caribbean hoped for the best but didn't make any plans for the worst. Putting people in harm's way by telling them repeatedly they expect the ship to sail on schedule is not preparing for the worst. Expecting people to travel through an active emergency area to get to a ship is not preparing for the worst. What SE Texas got was unfortunately about the worst case scenario, but we knew it was a possibility. We hoped for the best but planned for the worst.[emoji25]

IF the ship makes it in today I pray nobody tries to drive through the flood and loses their property or even worse, their life. That is not being overly dramatic. That is my reality right now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a few minutes ago a local TV station showed the amount of rain in the official Harris County Gauge at I45 and League City and it shows that it has received 20.28" in the last 12 hours. For those of you that are not familiar with the area, I45 at League City is the main highway out of Galveston and really just up the road from the Island.

We live in Spring,TX that is located about 30 miles north of downtown Houston (but still in Harris County) just off I45. Again according to the closest HC Rain Gauge (they are located all over the County), we received over 12" just last night.

Flooding is everywhere and even if a person can get on a freeway, many of the exit/underpasses are flooded/closed. No one should be on the highways, but especially out-of-towners that will have no idea what they are getting into.

If/when the ship docks today, and the passengers are given the option of leaving or staying onboard until tomorrow (or later?), I wonder how many people would get off the ship not knowing how bad things are in terms of transportation. And if someone gets off the ship and realizes that they basically can't go anywhere (like through/past Houston), I would guess that they cannot get back on the ship to spend the night. Not a good situation.

At this point, no one is getting off. There is no way in hell these ships will be able to dock. Opening the port is going to be close to impossible. There is going to be almost no one available on the pier. You can't really get to the place right now. Any route out is likely impassible for at least another two to three days. Even then you need another three or four days after that before the port could reach any possibility of operation. Docking and waiting in Galveston does not appear to be a remotely feasible option anymore.

Edited by Rasvar

We have access to the same tools you do. According to TX DOT there are options for those going East on I-10 to bypass closures and Houston. For now.

Carnival people won't know RCI's processes and systems and those systems won't be available in New Orleans. RCI would have to charter in their own people and set up a mobile outpost. Not easy and not efficient when you're debarking 3,500 people.

What do they really need if they are only debarking and not embarking people, and not reprovisioning? Customs and porters (which are not cruise-line specific)...what else do they need?

4 ships potentially all docked tomorrow sounds like the area could be chaotic. Immigration and baggage handlers could be spread thin. When was the last time they had 4 ships in dock at the same time?

I'm not sure, TBH not even sure if all 4 could dock at once, I was just correcting some mis-information by the other poster.

Just because the ship docks doesn't mean they have to debark. Looking at conditions they will probably just serve as a hotel until roads open and people can actually leave. Atleast docked they have options for bringing supplies on board and don't have to worry as much about fuel.

My guess is they would do some type of staggered debark when they do decide to do so, one ship at a time over the course of the day. Just a guess though.

At this point, no one is getting off. There is no way in hell these ships will be able to dock. Opening the port is going to be close to impossible. There is going to be almost no one available on the pier. You can't really get to the place right now. Any route out is likely impassible for at least another two to three days. Even then you need another three or four days after that before the port could reach any possibility of operation. Docking and waiting in Galveston does not appear to be a remotely feasible option anymore.

Wow, that's pretty declarative for someone I assume has less access to those responsible for all those things than RCI and CCL.

Just a few minutes ago a local TV station showed the amount of rain in the official Harris County Gauge at I45 and League City and it shows that it has received 20.28" in the last 12 hours. For those of you that are not familiar with the area, I45 at League City is the main highway out of Galveston and really just up the road from the Island.

We live in Spring,TX that is located about 30 miles north of downtown Houston (but still in Harris County) just off I45. Again according to the closest HC Rain Gauge (they are located all over the County), we received over 12" just last night.

Flooding is everywhere and even if a person can get on a freeway, many of the exit/underpasses are flooded/closed. No one should be on the highways, but especially out-of-towners that will have no idea what they are getting into.

Thanks for your extremely informative factual post....hopefully the word spreads to those currently onboard.

I have to say that how Royal Caribbean is handling this situation is certainly not inspiring confidence regarding my family's first Royal Caribbean cruise in a couple of weeks. We are not cruise novices, we have sailed previously many times on NCL, Costa and Carnival. Our experience with the actual booking of the cruise with RCI has been horrendous, but we have been hoping the on-board customer experience would be better. Still hoping that!

If you have a chance, take a look at their Facebook page. Even in the early hours of this morning, RCI has posted responses to customers insisting they will need a letter from the airlines verifying cancelled flights and inability to reaccommodate. Or proof that roads were impassable. Seriously Royal? Turn on the TV, you'll see proof right there.

People always say that RCI has superior customer service. Certainly not so far in our case and absolutely not in their handling of the current situation. Carnival far out performed them this time.