Galveston weather concerns

It'd benefit you to read the chain of replies before responding to it. The poster had responded to my post about Liberty having extra provisions onboard with asking why it was going to NO. To which I responded that it was not going to NO. So the person I responded to thought it was going to NO.

I am not going to read pages of posts just to see if some else responded to you. I respond as I read. If it bothers you, then ignore my posts.

I've been reading this thread on and off all day. I don't have any "skin in the game" on this one, and pray for everyone who is, and will be, impacted by this storm. With that being said, it seems like a lot of people believe that travelers should be refunded or reimbursed for their air, hotel, car rental and cruise. When I purchase my vacation, I am also given the option to purchase trip insurance. Where is the incentive to purchase that insurance if everyone who refused to pay for it receives the same compensation as those who do? Don't get me wrong, it's nice when companies make exceptions in extreme circumstances, but they sell insurance (underwritten by a separate entity) so they don't HAVE to. I never gamble with more than I can afford to lose. I can afford to lose a hundred bucks for trip insurance, but would be pretty devastated if I lost all that I had saved to pay for an entire vacation. Therefore, I purchase the insurance. If I could afford to lose what I pay for each trip, I might gamble; simply because the majority of the time, nothing catastrophic happens. However, if I elect to gamble and lose, it isn't anyone's fault but my own. This is also one of those situations where it would be beneficial to have an established travel agent who is willing to go to bat for you.

Cross-posting from the "Liberty" thread...

So encouraging thousands of people to a city in the early stages of post-hurricane to got right into that mess is a good idea?

I think I see the problem that has been bothering me while lurking on your posts.

You think this is a "post-hurricane" situation.

Newsflash... the storm is still going on. It may not be a hurricane anymore, but there is no "post" to it; it's still parked off of Victoria and sending rain bands over Galveston and Houston.

A big one is about to drift over Galveston as I type. Local TV has been covering this all day and night. My weather scanner has been going off constantly with tornado warnings and flash flood warnings over the entire region.

While that region may not be the port, it does cover the airports, roadways from the airports to the port, and the communities where the port workers live.

If your opinions were based on this being a "post-hurricane" event where all is now better and the winds and seas are now calm as seen from Atlanta, then I now understand why you're so far off the mark today.

I am not going to read pages of posts just to see if some else responded to you. I respond as I read. If it bothers you, then ignore my posts.

You literally started your last post berating someone for not having read the whole thread.

TINERARY UPDATES

August 26, 2017

Due to Tropical Storm Harvey and weather conditions around the Galveston/Houston area, as well as the port's current closure, Liberty of the Seas will arrive to the Port of Galveston tomorrow later than originally scheduled. Because of this, boarding for the next cruise will now take place on Monday, August 28 between noon and 3 p.m. We ask that guests not arrive to the port before noon.

Latest chapter:

Well, after a couple of calls to RCI which were of no help whatsoever, we headed to the airport. About half way there I got an alert saying that the second leg of our flight into HOU was cancelled. We are back home and I am on hold with the airline trying to get the first leg cancelled and possibly rescheduled. If RCI would just say that they are going to offer some compensation if we cannot get there it would be a lot less stressful. I asked the RCI "Resolutions agent" what happens if I fly into the hurricane zone and the ship cannot dock. Any compensation? Cannot answer. What happens if my flight gets cancelled and the ship does dock? Will I lose my money? Can't answer. Are you going to do anything for people who are having problems but trying to make the cruise that is allegedly on schedule? No answer. So you are saying that I need to fly into a hurricane area or risk losing my cruise? Basically yes. But you put the safety of guests first? Absolutely. So telling them that their cruise is on schedule and they need to go into the vicinity of a hurricane and related storm activity is looking out for their safety? No answer to that question.

This is the problem Carnival is addressing and Royal Caribbean is not.

I take it you have not read the entire thread. So I'll give you the Reader's Digest summary. A storm named Harvey is due to hit the Texas coast around Corpus Christi, which is about 170 miles from Galveston. Based on predictions of what the weather would be like, the port captain closed the port. The expectation was that the port would remain closed until Tuesday.

For the most part, everyone agrees on the above. Based on the above, Carnival allowed passengers to who were supposed to start a cruise in Galveston over the weekend to change or cancel their plans withOUT penalty. Carnival also sent two of its ships to New Orleans to stock up on supplies. Then the ships headed out toward Galveston to wait out the storm.

Royal Caribbean however believes that it will be able to dock on Sunday because it believes that there will be a break in the weather. Thus Royal Caribbean will NOT allow any changes without penalty. Some of the locals are claiming that the port captain has indicated that there may be a window in the weather where the port will be open and the cruise ships will be able to disembark their current passengers and embark the new passengers during this time.

Swords have been drawn and lines have been drawn in the sand. So, about twelve hours from now, some people will have "I told you so" rights and others will have egg on their face. The smart money is on those who have stocked up on popcorn and have taken a wait and see (sea?) approach.

I have read the entire thread.

I have also read the twitter post from the RCCL meteorologist.

I'll summarize what he wrote -

1. Attempt to dock tomorrow, weather permitting. They think it will happen.

2. Leave on Monday around the same time as was expected on Sunday

- This gives the out of town folks time to get to Galveston

- 25% off future cruise credit

- 1 day credit for this cruise.

- Option exists to cancel this cruise for 100% credit on future cruise, if you are impacted by or unable to cruise due to Hurricane Harvey.

If that set of tweets was to be believed -

Yes, there is 1-2" of rain forecasted. That isn't really a lot, depending on where you are.

What are the swords for?

I was reading his tweet while watching a live shot from the street right outside the terminal that's under water.

The family that owns a few of the parking lots were showing photos to try and let people know that the water which is on the street is not getting to the cars. The Lighthouse parking lot seems to be the best choice given how much higher it is from the street.

This post makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope. They move them because far more people want to cruise in other locations over the summer than the hot, sticky, crime infested Caribbean. If no one bought tickets to cruise Europe, Asia, or Alaska over the summer, all those ships would be in the Caribbean. It's based on passenger demand.

You got that right...Bravo!!!!!

I did not buy the cruise line insurance but I do have some coverage on my card. It is a bit of a grey area as to whether I am covered if the ship does indeed go tomorrow. I have never used it and have called but I cannot get an answer as to my exact situation right now. It is more or less "it depends". I do not think I would get full coverage either way. My best bet is to be on the ship if it goes tomorrow but that seems to be getting more difficult by the hour.

Let me save a few people some typing:

We sailed during hurricane season which is completely insane which makes it all our fault.

We did not buy the cruise specific insurance and depended on trip insurance that we did not completely research which makes it all our fault.

We have to expect this sort of thing and RCI is doing things perfectly according to "standard practice" so we have no basis for complaint.

I hope that covers it but probably not.

I understand your frustrations, but not everyone agrees with the actions Royal Caribbean is taking in this case. I have taken 31 cruise (I'm making final payment on my 32 cruise soon) with five different lines. Enough of my cruises have been on Royal Caribbean that I am Diamond Plus (this includes two cruises out of Galveston). Royal Caribbean used to be known for its customer service. Then about three years ago Michael Bayley became the president of RCI and things have been going downhill since then.

From 2012 to 2016 I took seven cruises on Royal Caribbean. I currently have cruises booked out until 2019 and none of them are on Royal Caribbean. Why? Because of their new "We don't care attitude." I made my decision long before this weekend. Personally (and this is my personal opinion) I think Royal Caribbean has handled this shamefully.

The only advise I can offer is to look into flying into San Antonio or Dallas and drive to the port. In my opinion Dallas would be your best bet since it is a hub for American Airlines. I wish you the best of luck. I also recommend you look into insurance next time. Insurance is a strange product, since you buy it hoping you will not have to use it.

Edited by Cuizer2

EBFURR - I'm really sorry to hear that! I've been following this thread, and I can't believe that RCI isn't offering you a chance to change to a different cruise! Do you have a travel agent, by any chance? Maybe they could go to bat for you. Either way, I really hope you can get something figured out and have a great anniversary! We're on the Liberty in October for a milestone anniversary, so I completely understand. I'd be furious with RCI if I were you.

I hope that everyone affected by this, either on a ship or onshore, stays safe!!

1) Good point about a travel agent. This is when a good travel agent can really be helpful.

2) I'm a Packer fan also.

Good god, the flooding in Houston is insane right now. Even if Liberty can dock tomorrow somehow, id hate to have to drive in Houston. Considering forecasts have continuing rain.

And we're only 2 days in :o

Then don't be a jerk to someone else responding correctly to someone else's question.

We don't have nested quotes, but if you hit the little blue icon in the quote, it'll take you to the quoted post, so you can see the conversation before interjecting into it.

EB I am with you, I think it's ridiculous to expect people to purchase insurance to protect a vacation. Never have or will purchase it. If the company you are using for your vacation stands by there product they should step up and take care of you in rare instances.

I also despise companies that charge service fees for the work that is expected out of there employees

You cannot blame Royal Caribbean for the weather. That is why you buy insurance. Do you blame the home builder if your next door neighbor's home catches fire and it spreads to your house, or do you have insurance. What do you do if your car is hit in parking lot and nobody leaves a note? Do you blame the parking lot or do you have insurance. Who do you blame if you get sick? Do you have medical insurance?

I do not agree with the way Royal Caribbean is handling this. However, per the terms of its contract, it may be able to get away with what it is doing.

As the wife of a first responder, it is just unconscionable to me that RCI would in any way at all encourage people to come into the middle of an ongoing disaster zone. It makes me SO angry!

There should be zero uncertainty about this. Sure, they could have good luck and get into port. But is it worth even one lost life if someone drowns trying to drive in to make their cruise???

Honestly, my family has enjoyed RCI in the past. But we won't be booking with them again anytime soon. Too many other vacation choices these days to spend money with a company so clearly putting profits ahead of its customers' welfare.