Galveston weather concerns

Getting into port would also require the services of the port pilot and their crew as well as dock workers who tie up the ship. Those people might not be able to reach the port due to the weather conditions.

A pilot boat did go out toward Liberty earlier today, but turned around before reaching the ship.

New update just now:

c1ce2151e56e379f1d8c91f880958f00.png

(sorry Barry H to be relaying 3rd hand doom scenarios to you. Feel free to ignore and keep on believing RC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol, I was wondering if you saw his post pertaining to u.

I'm curious...what was the answer to the question about the medication? I'm sure that's something many people don't think of, bringing extra medication in case a trip gets extended.

Why on earth would people not bring an extra week of medication when on a cruise or in a foreign country? That is just common sense. Yet another example of Darwinism.

The facts are: Houston area is impassable. Galveston is fine.

For safety, passengers should stay on the island.

They have no concept how horrendous the situation.

There are plenty of hotels.

Please don't think you can make it- you can't!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Port of Galveston is saying that the roads around the parking lots are flooded. Their information is not correct?

Can New Orleans handle a Freedom class ship? Perhaps that area might have its own problems a few days from now.

The ships can fit. I know Voyager class ships have home ported in New Orleans. But this is a good question.

Lol, I was wondering if you saw his post pertaining to u.

I wasn't offended. He is upset and I was saying everything he didn't want to hear and RC was telling him pie in the sky stuff, so he wanted to believe them. I get it.

Barryh, I hate to tell you this but the worst case scenario is that the storm turns south and chases you all back out to sea. I sincerely (really) hope you all aren't eating onion sandwiches in two days. (Anyone remember what cruise that was?)

My husband went down to Deck One to the doctor to see what happens if he runs out of medication.

I hope they can find a solution for you. Please let us know what they say.

And I'm sorry for the keyboard commandos who choose to flame you for this. :rolleyes:

It handles Carnivals Dream class ship.

The Dream class is about the size of a Voyager class ship. Voyager class ships have dock in New Orleans. The Freedom class is about 15% larger than a Voyager class ship which is a little larger than a Dream class ship.

Can New Orleans handle a Freedom class ship? Perhaps that area might have its own problems a few days from now.

The ships can fit. I know Voyager class ships have home ported in New Orleans. But this is a good question.

The question is length, and whether or not they can turn around in the river. I don't know if Freedom Class can or not. :confused:

This might be a two part situation. Dock in New Orleans and allow those who don't need be in Houston area make their arrangements to get home from there. For those who need to return to Galveston (car, home, etc), allow them to remain on board. This would also serve to reduce service loads on the ship supply wise. My guess right now, based on the forecasts, is that late Tuesday/Wednesday will likely be the earliest passengers could disembark in Galveston (mainly due to lack of customs). Worst case scenario is unable to get off ship until end of the week. No really good options.

Maybe I'm extremely naive but I have to believe that in disaster situations like this people and companies would help each other out.

Yes they would. Also, Royal Caribbean has home ported ships in New Orleans (I don't know if they are doing so currently).

That may be true, but they could have jacked up the price for people who might have no other option.

Price gouging once a state of emergency has been declared is a criminal offense in Texas (and most other states.)

To add insult to injury, forecast models are starting to come into agreement that Harvey may well emerge back over the Gulf of Mexico tomorrow and reorganize a bit before heading back in the direction of Houston. We are just in act two of a three act mess.

Side note:

I remember when September 11 happened.

The gas station on our corner raised the price of gas to $9.99 a gallon.

People panicked---people bought.

The station was reported to the powers that be ( I actually do not know who to report this too)

And the next day was on the news if you bought gas here take your proof of purchase, receipt, or statement for a refund to that days previous price gouging cost.

So, do not know who, but in the event of stupid people trying to make a profit on victims of circumstances help is available, just have to find it.

I wonder in this situation in Texas if the Red Cross could help with these hotel rooms.

Take care.

In this case there would be no Red Cross hotel rooms, people would be transported to the public shelters and sleep on cots (if lucky) in school cafeterias and the meeting space in community centers.

Barryh, I hate to tell you this but the worst case scenario is that the storm turns south and chases you all back out to sea. I sincerely (really) hope you all aren't eating onion sandwiches in two days. (Anyone remember what cruise that was?)

The current NHC path prediction is for Harvey to drift south/southeast, possible allowing the center of circulation to move back over water. Currently, however, not far enough to allow further intensification, but a move in that direction will put more of the storm's circulation over water, especially the northeastern arms of precipitation which have been pummeling the Houston area. Probably not what Galveston/Houston area travelers want to hear at this point.

I wasn't offended. He is upset and I was saying everything he didn't want to hear and RC was telling him pie in the sky stuff, so he wanted to believe them. I get it.

The poop cruise I think.

People always say that RCI has superior customer service. Certainly not so far in our case and absolutely not in their handling of the current situation. Carnival far out performed them this time.

That was more than three years ago, before Michael Bayley became the president of RCI.

This might be a two part situation. Dock in New Orleans and allow those who don't need be in Houston area make their arrangements to get home from there. For those who need to return to Galveston (car, home, etc), allow them to remain on board. This would also serve to reduce service loads on the ship supply wise. My guess right now, based on the forecasts, is that late Tuesday/Wednesday will likely be the earliest passengers could disembark in Galveston (mainly due to lack of customs). Worst case scenario is unable to get off ship until end of the week. No really good options.

Due to Mother Nature, there are zero solutions. Houston area is under water, airports closed, no transportation. Galveston is the best choice due to proximity, remaining on ship in homeport and safety. The Island drains! We are fine.

No one - ZERO is moving in Houston.