NCL Haven vs Oceania vs Regent

VideoTech

Has anyone here sailed all three? How would you compare them from the luxury standpoint, i.e. NCL Haven vs regular Oceania and regular Regent?

I get it that Oceania and Regent are considered "up market" from NCL, and even from NCL Haven. We have been loyal NCL Haven cruisers for a long time, but with the cost of the Haven product getting very near the cost of the other two, we are considering switching. We are an older couple, prefer relaxing and doing our own thing on cruises. The Shows and the hairy leg and belly flop contests don't interest us at all. Prefer a quiet luxury cabin, good service, a variety of good dining options.

Which line would you move to if you were in our shoes?

Ships will be totally different - Regent/Oceania/Azamara/etc have much smaller ships. Entertainment will be completely different. I might suggest hopping on some of the other boards to view daily activity planners to get a feel for what will be involved. But there will be fewer nightly shows, less entertainment venues, no comedy, etc.

Average age will be quite a bit higher on the luxury lines. Very few, if any, children. Most passengers will be 50-75.

Smaller ships can visit more interesting ports that the big boys can't fit into, so definitely more interesting itineraries.

Based on your description, I would try one of the luxury lines and give it a shot. I don't think you'll hate it, it will just be different from NCL. Different can be good.

My DH and I debate this all the time. We sail Haven suites on NCL all the time. In looking at the Oceania suites there are large differences in the cabin sizes and amenities offered within the different categories.

We can either sail in a high end suite on NCL or the low end cabin (think small) on Oceania.

For right now, we're staying with NCL, but will probably consider trying out Oceania at some point in the future. Especially with how ridiculous the Haven prices are getting.

Guess we wouldn't know which we prefer until we try both.

We're regular NCL cruisers who took our first Oceania cruise, a 22 night itinerary, earlier this year and are taking a 7 night NCL cruise in September followed by a 36 night Oceania cruise in late December.

The two experiences are totally different. Large ship versus small ship, better entertainment on NCL, few children on Oceania with an advanced average passenger age on Oceania, better food on Oceania, soft drinks included on Oceania, fantastic afternoon tea daily on Oceania, much more subdued decor on Oceania, many cabins with very small bathrooms on Oceania...i could go on and on.

The main reason we booked Oceania is for the far longer and more interesting itineraries, but we still like those "quickie" NCL cruises from NY to places like Bermuda.

Hi

We have sailed Epic in a balcony as our first cruise and it was great. We then sailed Oceania in a penthouse suite and it was fabulous. We are trying the Haven aft penthouse in October so we will see how it compares. Very different ships and experience. We never made it to the entertainment, food was out of the world. We were about the youngest. We are 50. Only saw one very small child who was accompanied by what looked like a nanny. It was a Baltic cruise so now one else was hardy enough to use the pool. We are from Scotland and while we sun bathed others from Florida were wrapped in fleece blankets! It was a lovely experience so more relaxed. I would go again in a flash if the budget allowed. HAven is not so expensive so it will be good to see how it compares to our original cruise on Epic and that on Oceania. Being Scottish we are known for not parting with our well earned cash easily!

Hi

We have sailed Epic in a balcony as our first cruise and it was great. We then sailed Oceania in a penthouse suite and it was fabulous. We are trying the Haven aft penthouse in October so we will see how it compares. Very different ships and experience. We never made it to the entertainment, food was out of the world. We were about the youngest. We are 50. Only saw one very small child who was accompanied by what looked like a nanny. It was a Baltic cruise so now one else was hardy enough to use the pool. We are from Scotland and while we sun bathed others from Florida were wrapped in fleece blankets! It was a lovely experience so more relaxed. I would go again in a flash if the budget allowed. HAven is not so expensive so it will be good to see how it compares to our original cruise on Epic and that on Oceania. Being Scottish we are known for not parting with our well earned cash easily!��

Will be very interested in hearing your thoughts!

We have sailed NCL, Regent, Silversea and Sea Dream. There is really no comparison. best way tot think of it has the entire ship is the Haven, but the food is head and shoulders above what you get on NCL. Surprisingly the demographic can vary, but most of the cruisers are well traveled professionals between 45 and 75. Occasionally on the luxury lines you will run onto families with children. If it happens on Sea Dream it is a disaster because the ships are tiny.

Because of this comment

" We are an older couple, prefer relaxing and doing our own thing on cruises. The Shows and the hairy leg and belly flop contests don't interest us at all. Prefer a quiet luxury cabin, good service, a variety of good dining options"

You will do well on the luxury lines. your cabin will be luxurious even if it is not as large as you find on NCL. The linens and amenities are superb. Service will be impeccable. By the second day they will know what you drink and it will magically appear. You may only have a couple of choices for dining but the food is always incredible. One of our favorites is the 10 course tasting menu on Sea Dream that is a staple of every voyage.

BTW on the luxury lines they usually don't know how to say no. When we were in the Greek isles I wanted a beer that they did nto have on board. The next day when we docked they went shopping and got a case for me. You don't get that in the Haven.

My DH and I debate this all the time. We sail Haven suites on NCL all the time. In looking at the Oceania suites there are large differences in the cabin sizes and amenities offered within the different categories.

We can either sail in a high end suite on NCL or the low end cabin (think small) on Oceania.

For right now, we're staying with NCL, but will probably consider trying out Oceania at some point in the future. Especially with how ridiculous the Haven prices are getting.

Guess we wouldn't know which we prefer until we try both.

What's a DH?? And what's the appropriate high & low you would tip your butler & concierge each, when sailing 14 nights? If I may ask?

Any extra perks which are not listed on the site you could enlighten us on? Does all the crew know (waiters included) know when guests are staying in the Haven?

Forgot a few but here's the majority:

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

RCL Voyager of the Seas December 1999

RCL Explorer of the Seas November 2001

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2002 & November 2002

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2003

RCL Explorer of the Seas April 2004

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2005

RCL Freedom of the Seas April 2006

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2006

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Pride of America (formerly Pride of Hawaii) June 2007

Celebrity Solstice December 2008

RCL Oasis of the Seas May 2010

NCL Epic June 2010

RCL Jewel of the Seas April/May 2011

RCL Oasis of the Seas June 2012

Carnival Pride November 2012

RCL Jewel of the Seas May 2013

RCL Independence of the Seas June 2013

RCL Freedom of the Seas May 2014

RCL Explorer January 2015

NCL Getaway May 2016

RCL Adventure of the Seas December 2016

What's a DH?? And what's the appropriate high & low you would tip your butler & concierge each, when sailing 14 nights? If I may ask?

Any extra perks which are not listed on the site you could enlighten us on? Does all the crew know (waiters included) know when guests are staying in the Haven?

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Epic June 2010

NCL Getaway May 2016

DH is "darling husband" or dearest an abbreviation for your spouse.

Tipping is so personal. We really ask for very little. I make my own reservations and we don't eat in the cabin. Some people say $10 per day per person for the butler. I usually start at $10 per day and will round up depending on how much we use them and whether they do a good job. On a 14 day cruise we'd probably end up tipping them at least $200 and figure $100 plus to the Concierge depending how much you use them. Those would probably be the minimum amounts, but reading posts on here it seems some people tip much more. Again it depends how much you use their services and how outstanding they are.

When you make a reservation, they will know that you're in the Haven and in the main dining rooms, they swipe your card so they also know. I don't really think it gives you any benefit, we've had lovely window tables and tables looking into the kitchen. We never felt that they reserved better seating for Haven guests. Although that could probably vary from ship to ship. And if you have an excellent Concierge, he would make sure you got a great table, but we haven't experienced that for our last several cruises.

As far as other perks, I can't really think of any that aren't listed. Make use of the priority debarkation and enjoy the private suite/haven dining.

Enjoy!

If 50 was the youngest, we have more than a decade to wait to try Oceania.:p

Shorter European cruises will have an average age in the fifties, with some 30's and 40's offsetting those older. If it's been sold as a GONext Alumni cruise it will definitely have a feel of 50's being the average age.

As with most cruise lines, the longer the cruise the average age of the cruiser goes up. This is not to say that the age demographics of Oceania are the same as NCL, it is definitely older on Oceania. As others have said, there are very few children.

With regard to O's food, I find the biggest difference is in the quality of ingredients, with higher priced seafood items available throughout the ship. The buffet is very good, with a grill that serves lamb chops, grilled fish and steaks.

O does not go out of its way to provide a "cruise" experience and entertain you. It's more of a floating 5* hotel experience, that takes you from port to port.

I haven't sailed Regent, but, it is my understanding any tipping over the daily charge goes into a general crew tip fund and is not given to individuals.

There is no assigned concierge on O (except someone that sits at a desk in a concierge lounge on their 2 larger ships). The butler handles special reservations for suite guests.

I took a BTB cruise on OceNia Marina to Tahiti and French Polynesia .Most people on this cruise were very pleasant ...however a fewwere downright hotty snotty nouveau riche who had to lay out for all to see their net worth with planes, cars , mansions etc ?One such person was alawyer/ ambulance chaser who boasted all nights about his stuff while his wife chose to put down others at the table .it was dreadful and embarassing these very wealthy people had no manners or social grace.

I was happy we went to very nice places ..but be advised Oceania is much more expensive than NCL. Cabins are nice but. COmparable to big balconies on NCL .the free upscale restaurants are very nice and food was deelicious .....i personally found evenings rather boring..not much going on but since we were port intensive it worked out fine ..

Would I go back ..only if the itinerary were spectacular

DH is "darling husband" or dearest an abbreviation for your spouse.

Tipping is so personal. We really ask for very little. I make my own reservations and we don't eat in the cabin. Some people say $10 per day per person for the butler. I usually start at $10 per day and will round up depending on how much we use them and whether they do a good job. On a 14 day cruise we'd probably end up tipping them at least $200 and figure $100 plus to the Concierge depending how much you use them. Those would probably be the minimum amounts, but reading posts on here it seems some people tip much more. Again it depends how much you use their services and how outstanding they are.

When you make a reservation, they will know that you're in the Haven and in the main dining rooms, they swipe your card so they also know. I don't really think it gives you any benefit, we've had lovely window tables and tables looking into the kitchen. We never felt that they reserved better seating for Haven guests. Although that could probably vary from ship to ship. And if you have an excellent Concierge, he would make sure you got a great table, but we haven't experienced that for our last several cruises.

As far as other perks, I can't really think of any that aren't listed. Make use of the priority debarkation and enjoy the private suite/haven dining.

Enjoy!

Thank you, I REALLY appreciate it!

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Epic June 2010

NCL Getaway May 2016

Also, consider Seaborn. Are cruises on their ships have been among the most delightful experiences of our travel lives (a few Southeast Asian luxury hotels are the only exceptions). If one uses website that allows you to look at discounts, there are times when the Seabourn Cruise line cabins are priced well below those of Norwegian Haven. You want lobster every night? No problem. Caviar and blini served in your cabin with kettle one? No problem. No additional charges, no tipping, and a very informed, friendly, and congenial set a fellow passengers. The quality of service by the staff is simply extraordinary. A year pass between two cruises we took, yet when we hit the bar, they remember that we liked caviar with our vodka and it was there without us even having to requested.

We're sailing Norwegian in a few weeks (it's not like we don't appreciate what it offers-and we've got an angle balcony cabin) but Seaborn is a whole other sort of experience.