Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

This may have no significance and I'm not one to start rumors, but when the Liberty was still outside Galveston not moving yet to Miami, I witnessed on the news that a CG helicopter was flying overhead. The cameras zoomed in and said it looked like it was "on a mission" going north. Soon after, I read here that the Liberty was now moving. Connect the dots??

It was still fairly crappy weather to get someone off the ship by helo when the pilot boat and others could have made the trip. I have to think someone from the ship would have reported a helo evac.

Do the passengers come back Friday with liberty

Or do they disembark in Miami?

As, we ALL know they can not fly into Houston

As, I read another thread, without a passport book you can't disembark from the ship except where you embarked?

As, we only have the card

See the info from border patrol:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yes but, as you well know if the ATC in your handle stands for air traffic controller, the final authority rests with the captain and if he feels it's necessary to ensure the safety of his aircraft he can always use the magic words and declare an emergency to ensure he keeps his flight safe.

In theory the authority of a captain of a ship at sea is similar. But, the captain may not have the same labor protections as a domestic airline captain and thus may be less willing to exercise his authority.

ETA: this is also probably quite a bit off topic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In 33 years of ATC I've never heard of a pilot declaring an emergency unless they really have one. It's not something that is taken very lightly. When it comes to aircraft diverting, flight operations makes the decision on where they're going to divert to. This is based on a lot of different factors, some of which the flight crew may not even be aware of. That being said, if the flight crew has reasons to contradict what flight ops wants them to do, they can. It's very, very rare that a pilot would have to declare an emergency in the case of a simple diversion. And just to be clear, when I say flight ops, I mean an airlines flight operations center, which has nothing to do with ATC. Although the two do communicate with each other.

In 33 years of ATC I've never heard of a pilot declaring an emergency unless they really have one. It's not something that is taken very lightly. When it comes to aircraft diverting, flight operations makes the decision on where they're going to divert to. This is based on a lot of different factors, some of which the flight crew may not even be aware of. That being said, if the flight crew has reasons to contradict what flight ops wants them to do, they can. It's very, very rare that a pilot would have to declare an emergency in the case of a simple diversion. And just to be clear, when I say flight ops, I mean an airlines flight operations center, which has nothing to do with ATC. Although the two do communicate with each other.

I phrased my response poorly. The point I wanted to make is that the airline captain has final authority and responsibility for his flight. That includes overruling the folks at his company in an emergency.

This is getting far afield, but my point was that ship captains and airline captains both have final responsibility and final authority over the safety of their vessels and those onboard. Obviously they consult with their company and others in the normal course of things, but the final responsibility is the captain's.

The only question when it comes to a cruise ship is whether the captain is protected enough to feel safe to make a necessary decision.

I phrased my response poorly. The point I wanted to make is that the airline captain has final authority and responsibility for his flight. That includes overruling the folks at his company in an emergency.

And as an airline pilot (and someone who served over 5 years as an airline Captain), I can assure that action is only taken in the extremest of situations and that you had damn-well better be prepared to answer for each and every action you do from that point forward.

This is getting far afield, but my point was that ship captains and airline captains both have final responsibility and final authority over the safety of their vessels and those onboard. Obviously they consult with their company and others in the normal course of things, but the final responsibility is the captain's.

I can't speak for the maritime industry, but I can tell you in the aviation industry, we use all available resources. Unless there's concrete evidence I should go against the wishes all of the other parties involved, I'll follow their direction.

The only question when it comes to a cruise ship is whether the captain is protected enough to feel safe to make a necessary decision.

And as I said above, if you go against standard operating procedures or deviate from the plan everyone has developed, you best be sure of your decision because you're going to answering to a lot of people afterward.

Customs, immigration, shoreside staff to tie up the ship, cabs, buses, Uber/Lyft drivers, parking staff.....porters,

Need I continue?? You don't just pull up a ship, set the gangway and let 4000+ pax walk

Very good post.! Thank you.

What happened with these 3 medical emergencies??

Did they divert helos from picking folks off their roof of a flooded house ... to a cruise ship, with a Dr, and a 'clinic'

Personally I saw this as a cheap call by the ship .....

1) does ANY Galveston/Houston hospital NEED more business now?

2) Isn't a cruise ship with a Dr and a clinic better off than much of Houston Galveston right now????

RCCL should be offering to HOST folks needing care!

Just MAYBE they had conditions the ship was unable to handle ?

No need to be so nasty:rolleyes:

What happened with these 3 medical emergencies??

Did they divert helos from picking folks off their roof of a flooded house ... to a cruise ship, with a Dr, and a 'clinic'

Personally I saw this as a cheap call by the ship .....

1) does ANY Galveston/Houston hospital NEED more business now?

2) Isn't a cruise ship with a Dr and a clinic better off than much of Houston Galveston right now????

RCCL should be offering to HOST folks needing care!

This is the most asinine, ill-informed post I've seen yet. You have no clue as to the situation or what the result of that situation was/is.

Just because you want to unleash your fury on RCI doesnt mean you play the blame game and render assumptions on a subject that you obliviously know nothing about.

Just stop.

I am very late to this thread but am just trying to pick my jaw up off the floor reading about how RCI mismanaged this whole situation.

I was on the Anthem hurricane cruise last year (in fact, you can hear me scream and see me fall in many videos that made the news!), and I was SURE that they would have learned their lesson after that. It's shocking that they once again messed up so badly! Kudos to them for not sailing right into the hurricane this time, but the complete disorganization with planning and lack of notification of those both on the current cruise and those who were scheduled on the next one of a plan - YIKES!

To all those onboard and in the affected areas - stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ill start my ATSAP now.

As for the medical emergencies I am not sure if the Coastguard came. I never saw a boat or helicopter but could only see off the balcony on the starboard side. We waited for close to 2 hours then the captain came on and announced that the medical emergencies had been stabilized and that we would be underway. We left shortly after that.

About 10:30 this evening the cruise director made an announcement that drinks, drink packages, internet and specialty restaurant packages were 50% off. Our internet had stopped working but about the same time as the announcement, a card came under our door stating that our internet package would be extended for the duration of our stay with a new code given.

The cruise director also said we could disembark in Miami and that RCCL would be providing complimentary shuttles to both MIA and FLL. But he strongly urged all to stay on board and go back with them to Galveston as flights in the Florida area are limited. I booked flights home right after the captain announced that we were going to Miami so as long as we get there in time on Tuesday I hope to catch a plane home.

The ship is really rocking right now and the wind is howling at the balcony door. Hoping for a smoother ride tomorrow. But the upside of getting woken up by the wind is everyone else is off the wifi and it works again.

Not true with airlines. Captain and FO are in charge of who does and doesn't fly and they have final say for their aircraft.

True, this is how it is with the pilots and planes. It's up to the pilots to decide if it is safe to fly or not. It isn't up to corporate. Also, there are FAA rules that trumps everything else. Besides there is a big difference between an airplane going 500 - 600 mph than a ship cruising at 20 - 30 knots. Ok, I really have no clue how fast the ships cruise so take that info with a grain of salt, but I am correct about the flying rules.

Even if you can all agree that the Captain had ultimate responsibility for passenger safety, I do not see how it is relevant. Do we have any indication that the current passengers were ever in any serious harm. Some rougher seas and major inconvenience, yes. Danger, no. He was able to declare some sort of medical demergency/delay when necessary. It does not seem like the Captain ever needed to over-ride anyone. From what I have read, it seems RCCL got this one wrong. The communication and reaction times were slow and they encouraged future passengers to travel into a dangerous storm. This lake of safety is 100% on Corporate. The Captain is not responsible for passenger safety before they step on his ship.

Even if you can all agree that the Captain had ultimate responsibility for passenger safety, I do not see how it is relevant. Do we have any indication that the current passengers were ever in any serious harm. Some rougher seas and major inconvenience, yes. Danger, no.

Really?

So if Liberty was anywhere near approaching Galveston, and Harvey went back out to the Gulf (as a number of weather experts had actually forecasted Friday & Saturday), there was no potential for danger? WOW....just wow. :rolleyes:

Really?

So if Liberty was anywhere near approaching Galveston, and Harvey went back out to the Gulf (as a number of weather experts had actually forecasted Friday & Saturday), there was no potential for danger? WOW....just wow. :rolleyes:

Cruise ships move much faster than hurricanes. Truly.

Really?

I would have MUCH rather been a passenger on LOS Saturday and Sunday than been a passenger on the next cruise who was being directed to the disaster area right up until cancellation on Sunday. I have no doubt that the cruise ship itself was being well directed and never in real danger, I think you would agree with that.

You still haven't answered why it was with "passenger safety in mind" that those folks were expected to travel to the disaster area.

I would have MUCH rather been a passenger on LOS Saturday and Sunday than been a passenger on the next cruise who was being directed to the disaster area right up until cancellation on Sunday. I have no doubt that the cruise ship itself was being well directed and never in real danger, I think you would agree with that.

You still haven't answered why it was with "passenger safety in mind" that those folks were expected to travel to the disaster area.

I would rather be on LOS than be living in the Rockport area. So sad for those people.

If people did travel, they must be stranded in the Houston area