Here is the latest news on Galveston from John Heald

Cruiseman38

Here is the latest news on Galveston.

HURRICANE HARVEY

Weather Update #3 – 08/25/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

... Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom are currently keeping a safe distance from the storm as they make their way back to Galveston.

Carnival Breeze is currently docked in Cozumel and will now overnight there. The ship will depart for Galveston tomorrow afternoon to be in position to debark guests when the port reopens.

The Port of Galveston is closed to all marine traffic. It is expected to remain closed until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us.

Our intention is to dock in Galveston as soon as port officials have reopened the port. The duration of your cruise will have to be shortened and the itinerary modified. Cruise details will be finalized once we have confirmed our arrival into Galveston. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare for missed days and refund of any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for canceled ports. Additionally, guests who pre-purchased any of our beverage packages will receive a pro-rated refund. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact Hurricane Harvey is having on your cruise plans. Should you wish to cancel and receive a future cruise credit, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, contact your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent,

We continue to actively monitor the storm and will update you tomorrow at 3:00PM CDT. To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

If you have any questions or concerns please post below and I will make sure the right people see them. Let's hope everyone is safe and we can get the ships into port and on the way to another fun cruise soon. Stay safe everybody

So......let's not cancel the cruises, let's significantly shorten them? And don't head to the port until you're told? Little late for that as I'm sure some folks have already began to head that way or are there. That information should've came out yesterday at the latest.

So......let's not cancel the cruises, let's significantly shorten them? And don't head to the port until you're told? Little late for that as I'm sure some folks have already began to head that way or are there. That information should've came out yesterday at the latest.

Lets see...Cat 2 hurricane, port getting hammered, cruise ship days away, electronic highway signs say to stay away from the coast..but but but Carnival did not tell me to stay away...heck yeah.....lets go to Galveston. Idiots.

The options provided by CCL are reasonable and realistic considering the events occurring are of natural causes.

The situation is dynamic and fluid. Buy insurance if one cannot assume all-risk. Or assume all-risk and deal with life as it happens real-time. The storm isn't CCL's fault.

Some folks would prefer a shortened cruise over a cancelled one.

I sure hope so. We've been waiting for this day since Christmas. I bought the entire cruise plus excursions for my parents, and it's their first one. They will be crushed if it's cancelled. I wouldn't even mind waiting one extra day to sail out on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

The options provided by CCL are reasonable and realistic considering the events occurring are of natural causes.

The situation is dynamic and fluid. Buy insurance if one cannot assume all-risk. Or assume all-risk and deal with life as it happens real-time. The storm isn't CCL's fault.

I didn't say the storm was their fault, their response to it IS their fault. Assumptions are fun though. I also agree with one of the other posters that people should be using common sense and NOT heading to Galveston with a hurricane bearing down on it. But in today's world you don't want to criticize too many folks..............their feelings might get hurt. I'm not in Galveston, I'm not even going on a cruise until May 2018, but I still have insurance. I personally would've never headed to Galveston once I heard this storm was headed there, but I'm an experienced cruiser.

Your first time cruisers are probably so excited about their first cruise they're going to show up to port as long as Carnival doesn't tell them not to. Most folks head down the day before if they're coming from a long ways away and not close to the port. It would be super cool to find out this information from Carnival while in the sky on an airplane headed towards Galveston today when plans could've been changed yesterday by folks had they had the information from Carnival. That's all I'm saying......

Lets see...Cat 2 hurricane, port getting hammered, cruise ship days away, electronic highway signs say to stay away from the coast..but but but Carnival did not tell me to stay away...heck yeah.....lets go to Galveston. Idiots.

Why don't you read my response below instead of assuming I'm an idiot there turbo? Or were you directing that comment towards someone else. Pull your head out of the sand and think about those that are first time cruisers and remember what your perspective was towards the cruise then. You were probably going to get to port no matter what because you were so excited.

I didn't say the storm was their fault, their response to it IS their fault. Assumptions are fun though. I also agree with one of the other posters that people should be using common sense and NOT heading to Galveston with a hurricane bearing down on it. But in today's world you don't want to criticize too many folks..............their feelings might get hurt. I'm not in Galveston, I'm not even going on a cruise until May 2018, but I still have insurance. I personally would've never headed to Galveston once I heard this storm was headed there, but I'm an experienced cruiser.

Your first time cruisers are probably so excited about their first cruise they're going to show up to port as long as Carnival doesn't tell them not to. Most folks head down the day before if they're coming from a long ways away and not close to the port. It would be super cool to find out this information from Carnival while in the sky on an airplane headed towards Galveston today when plans could've been changed yesterday by folks had they had the information from Carnival. That's all I'm saying......

I don't totally understand some of your points (hurting people's feelings? I can't tell if you think people should or shouldn't be relying on an outside agency to keep them safe?), but this is how hurricanes work. No one really knows what they're going to do until they're right there. Either way the cruise lines receive criticism.

I understand the disappointment in missing your cruise and I could be facing the same thing in September. The latest update is saying this will be catastrophic for the people in South Texas who are about to loose everything they have. My prayers are with them.

I understand the disappointment in missing your cruise and I could be facing the same thing in September. The latest update is saying this will be catastrophic for the people in South Texas who are about to loose everything they have. My prayers are with them.

Exactly. Missing a vacation is nothing compared to what they are facing.

I don't totally understand some of your points (hurting people's feelings? I can't tell if you think people should or shouldn't be relying on an outside agency to keep them safe?), but this is how hurricanes work. No one really knows what they're going to do until they're right there. Either way the cruise lines receive criticism.

I'll simplify it:

1. Carnival could've gotten this information out sooner. Yesterday would've been perfect as most folks could've adjusted course. They knew at a minimum yesterday it was going to be a Cat 2 hurricane, today it's a Cat 3. Folks have every right to look at that and say, "what the heck guys?!" Not blaming Carnival for the weather, that would be insane, their response, meh, could've been quicker.

2. If people headed towards Galveston, they aren't very good and seeing the big picture and need a scan to see if they've even got a brain. Personally Tuesday or Wednesday this week I would've been on the phone to Carnival seeing what my options are. Zero way I'm headed to Galveston after that forecast. 1st time cruisers have their judgement clouded and some people are just plain stupid. Those are the ones you say, "Hey, we're sorry, but you can't come until we say so."

3. Carnival's options at this point for those cruisers affected are reasonable options, but should've been options sooner in the grand scheme of things.

Royal Caribbean has not announced to passengers scheduled to embark on Liberty of Seas on Sunday what they plan to do (though the captain has told passengers aboard the ship), so it isn't Carnival; it is the industry and specifically is this very economical price-point that we all benefit from. That's the reality of this business: You don't cancel until you're absolutely sure the conditions are going to require it. The airlines are the same: When I was traveling for business, the airlines would very regularly wait until the absolute last minute to make irrevocable decisions that are going to cost them loads of money. How many times did I sleep on the floor of a terminal because, by the time the airline decided that they weren't going to be able to get out that night, the airport hotel was already full?

"1. Carnival could've gotten this information out sooner. Yesterday would've been perfect as most folks could've adjusted course."

I don't know how. If you look at weather MODELS, as they are called, they are a number of variables that make the path 500-1000 miles wide at points. If I could predict the weather, I would be worth a bazillion dollars.

You anger the people who want to go, and the weather clears, and is ok. OR, you anger the travels for not cancelling sooner.

Carnival, nor any other cruise lines, controls the weather.

Why don't you read my response below instead of assuming I'm an idiot there turbo? Or were you directing that comment towards someone else. Pull your head out of the sand and think about those that are first time cruisers and remember what your perspective was towards the cruise then. You were probably going to get to port no matter what because you were so excited.

Not directed at you but at anyone would recognize the facts and still make the trip.

Why do many here assume first time cruisers lack common sense? Oh gosh golly...I am a first time cruiser so half my brain is not working and the other half is only thinking of getting a hamburger on the ship....please please please....what? Hurricane? Nothing but some rain and few waves...and John H would have sent me a personal text if there was any safety concerns. Yeah he must know more than the weather channel, local authorities and even what my eyes see out the window.....pedal to the metal...Guy's here we come!

And there is a great chance that those that arrive on Monday or Tuesday will find parking lots full of cars that were flooded and will need to be towed away. It could be ugly in Galveston for weeks.

Edited by Badfinger

Not directed at you but at anyone would recognize the facts and still make the trip.

Why do many here assume first time cruisers lack common sense?

My apologies then. I assumed you were directing that at me.

They don't lack common sense, the excitement of trying something new can cloud some of their judgement. "Well Carnival didn't cancel so I might as well start heading down there!" They've never been on a cruise so they probably don't really know what cruises will operate in and what they won't. If they start heading down the day before that becomes a problem. I personally would've never left home.

The old saying is you need to train the 1's and well as the 2's. You always have to remember the 2's as if you don't you can bet they'd be standing at the port with a bag waiting to get on their ship that hasn't arrived yet with an angry ocean in the background. Those are the folks that Carnival is responding to with their timeliness and response.

I'll simplify it:

1. Carnival could've gotten this information out sooner. Yesterday would've been perfect as most folks could've adjusted course. They knew at a minimum yesterday it was going to be a Cat 2 hurricane, today it's a Cat 3. Folks have every right to look at that and say, "what the heck guys?!" Not blaming Carnival for the weather, that would be insane, their response, meh, could've been quicker.

2. If people headed towards Galveston, they aren't very good and seeing the big picture and need a scan to see if they've even got a brain. Personally Tuesday or Wednesday this week I would've been on the phone to Carnival seeing what my options are. Zero way I'm headed to Galveston after that forecast. 1st time cruisers have their judgement clouded and some people are just plain stupid. Those are the ones you say, "Hey, we're sorry, but you can't come until we say so."

3. Carnival's options at this point for those cruisers affected are reasonable options, but should've been options sooner in the grand scheme of things.

are you assuming first time cruises do not own televisions?

"1. Carnival could've gotten this information out sooner. Yesterday would've been perfect as most folks could've adjusted course."

I don't know how. If you look at weather MODELS, as they are called, they are a number of variables that make the path 500-1000 miles wide at points. If I could predict the weather, I would be worth a bazillion dollars.

You anger the people who want to go, and the weather clears, and is ok. OR, you anger the travels for not.

You're ALWAYS going to have the Monday morning quarterbacks here. Carnival could've called these shots 2 days ago and they would've still been wrong in their eyes. I'm watching closely since we'll get probably get a taste of this storm next week in Louisiana. Yesterday I saw 1/2 of the reports stalling her out and the other 1/2 jogging her a little south then re entering the Gulf. I think Carnival's decisions were right on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BigRed gets it. Enough.

The actively developing situation is becoming more clear.

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/20-000-stuck-at-sea-in-cruise-ships-as-Galveston-11959300.php

Bottom line, CCL is in emergency mode and IMO looks to be doing a great job. There's going to be very long days and nights ahead for employees and cruisers.

Let's just hope there's no loss of life.

Safety first and remember, we're all in this together when we choose to cruise.

Here's the latest - going to New Orleans for supplies tomorrow, can't return to Galveston until Tuesday.

http://abc13.com/travel/20000-cruise-ship-passengers-stranded-in-gulf/2341493/

Good, factual article. I'm just wondering how the 4 ships have 20,000 passengers onboard, since that is an average of 5000 per ship. The largest of the 4 is Breeze at 3700, so the others must have a lot of stowaways. Now, if they said that 20,000 were having their cruises affected (10k onboard, and 10k waiting to board), then I wouldn't find fault.

Good, factual article. I'm just wondering how the 4 ships have 20,000 passengers onboard, since that is an average of 5000 per ship. The largest of the 4 is Breeze at 3700, so the others must have a lot of stowaways. Now, if they said that 20,000 were having their cruises affected (10k onboard, and 10k waiting to board), then I wouldn't find fault.

Maybe they're counting crew as well. After reading the article, I would be worried about my car if it was parked at the port. Plus, doesn't sound as if they will even be able to port until Tuesday at the earliest. That is going to mean that those who were supposed to leave on Sunday may just wind up with a 4 day cruise to Cozumel at best.

FWIR, Royal Caribbean is still expecting to turn over Liberty of the Seas in Galveston on Sunday, within what they expect to be a narrow window. Perhaps Carnival is aiming to capitalize on that same window.

Maybe plus crew? News orgs don't always get the facts right. We can reasonably assume it's 12k+ passengers and then some.