Turquoise Caribbean Seas Feb/18 Safety Question

Genoabay

We are taking this Miami return cruise in Feb/18. There are port stops in Belize City, Cozumel, and Merida. Can anyone speak to the safety in these areas? Is it safe to walk around in port and nearby attractions by ourselves? Any experience, suggestions or advice you have would be appreciated.

We are taking this Miami return cruise in Feb/18. There are port stops in Belize City, Cozumel, and Merida. Can anyone speak to the safety in these areas? Is it safe to walk around in port and nearby attractions by ourselves? Any experience, suggestions or advice you have would be appreciated.

Can't speak for Merida, but I would not walk around Belize city as a couple or alone, and certainly not after dark. Its a very poor country and even the newspaper stands have everything bolted down.

I agree with the previous poster on Belize City. Of course, there really isn't much there in the town that would interest cruisers. There are a couple stores and what not in a building near where the tenders drop you (assuming you do tender, but with Oceania on about the same sized ship, we did). The building is not really what I would call a port terminal, but mostly just a place where coaches pull up for excursions out into the country to see the Mayan ruins, etc. I don't remember if there were any excursions offered right there in the terminal or not, but I would definitely take an excursion in Belize, as there really isn't anything much to do there in the city. And, as previously mentioned, it's a very poor country......

I've been to Cozumel, and it seemed reasonably safe for tourists, although we rented a VW bug and and drove around the island, so I don't really know what there is to do right near the port and how safe it is.

I've never been to Merida.

Cozumel has a wonderful museum on the same street right beyond the ferry pier. Great history and geology of the island. On the upper floors is a art gallery, various art exhibits of Mexican artists, with a nice little book store . The whole buildng is air conditoned and has nice rest rooms and an inner outdoor court yard. It was about$ 5 USD admission.

We took taxi from the cruise ship pier into the main square, walked two blocks to the street along the water and the ferry dock. Lots of nice shops for good cotton clothing, my favorite jewelry store in Mexico, Alberto's, has a branch there. We had lunch and drinks off the main square and then took a taxi back to the ship.

Other took tours to mainland to see Tulum ruins. It was a long day. Other went to the various beach clubs around the island for sand,drinks and chilling out. Totally safe. There will probably other big cruise ships in port too.