RCI dress code

Hi

We've just booked a trip to Singapore on Voyager next year. Just looking at the formal nights etc and came across this on the RCI website:

Casual: Polo shirts and trousers for men, sundresses or trousers for women

Smart casual: Jacket and ties for men, dresses or trouser suits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men cocktail dresses for women

Wow! Our 14 night cruise has 3 smart casual and 3 formal nights. Now I'm a bit worried about packing. Will a shirt and tie do for my husband? I don't think he even owns a suit anymore, never mind a tuxedo. And what about for the kids? Assuming they can wear pants and nice polo shirt or button-down? We've cruised P&O and Carnival before and the formal nights were not that formal. Some people were dressed up but the rest of us just wore nice smart casual clothes. I think I just had black pants and a pretty top and sandals most nights.

(Please don't suggest the buffet. My kids love eating in the MDR every night.)

We have found on the Voyager that generally cruisers do make an effort in the MDR to dress smartly.

But on formal nights, some will wear tux's - not many (getting to be less and less on RCI), a fair number will wear suits or jacket and tie and some, especially in the humid climates will wear a nice shirt and trousers with or without a tie. You will be fine whatever you chose and don't worry about it just have fun.

I take the black pants and a few fancy tops and the occasional nice dress, never felt over or under dressed.

Our grandkids really look forward to dressing for dinner, especially the girls. For the boys on formal nights for fun they add a tie or bow tie to their shirts.

Enjoy your cruise.

So it would appear RCI is not enforcing their dress codes, like most other cruise lines these days.

More's the pity. As I have said before, if you don't enforce it, throw it out !!! Then pax can wear what they want.:')

Or you travel Cunard or P&O UK if you want to formally dress every second day. Nothing wrong with that done it many times.

But we're talking about a family cruise on Voyager. Have been on other RCI cruises with a much OLDER demographic where indeed there were tux's galore. But as the cruisers are becoming younger and with a lot of extended families cruising, I think a lot would never own or want to own a tuxedo - a tad bit old fashioned, belonging to an other era as one of the grandkids have told me!

DH only gets his out for Cunard nowadays.

Personally, don't care what anyone else wears just on a cruise to enjoy it.

Wow! Our 14 night cruise has 3 smart casual and 3 formal nights. Now I'm a bit worried about packing. Will a shirt and tie do for my husband? I don't think he even owns a suit anymore, never mind a tuxedo. And what about for the kids? Assuming they can wear pants and nice polo shirt or button-down?

On all cruise lines other than Cunard and P&O (UK), formal night is actually "smart casual or formal" night.

As for the old tuxedo, that is going the way of top hat, white tie and tails.

I've never yet seen a child turned away from a formal night because of dress code restrictions, but suppose it is possible.

Thanks all. I guess we will just do our best with what we have and out limited luggage space since we are flying home. Will have to sort out some sort of smart casual footwear for the boys. They only own trainers (many, many pairs), school shoes and thongs!

Or you travel Cunard or P&O UK if you want to formally dress every second day. Nothing wrong with that done it many times.

But we're talking about a family cruise on Voyager. Have been on other RCI cruises with a much OLDER demographic where indeed there were tux's galore. But as the cruisers are becoming younger and with a lot of extended families cruising, I think a lot would never own or want to own a tuxedo - a tad bit old fashioned, belonging to an other era as one of the grandkids have told me!

DH only gets his out for Cunard nowadays.

Personally, don't care what anyone else wears just on a cruise to enjoy it.

I was on QM2 in March and some thought a tracksuit top was formal for the MDR - they got in !! P&O UK have got rid of their 'jacket nights' just casual and formal. About 4 formals in a 2 weeks cruise and a suit is fine, Tux not required. Of course a lot of the die hard Brits don't like the changes. On QM2 I saw a couple of old blokes in jackets and ties at breakfast in the MDR - true.:eek:

Those pesky colonials were they.

A few but mainly 'Far East' types doing Syd-HK sector. Not being racist here.:mad:

Suffice to say the Brit World Cruisers aka 'The Cunarders' were not overly impressed, I can lip read.:p

A few but mainly 'Far East' types doing Syd-HK sector. Not being racist here.:mad:

Suffice to say the Brit World Cruisers aka 'The Cunarders' were not overly impressed, I can lip read.:p

ah I hadn't thought that, I think it will continue to happen unless they enforce the rules and stipulate them when people are booking (or at least prior to them booking).

ah I hadn't thought that, I think it will continue to happen unless they enforce the rules and stipulate them when people are booking (or at least prior to them booking).

Most know the rules Mic, but flaunt them, knowing they will get away with it.

My suggestion: Ships Security @ 'The Dress Police' to conduct a search of passengers luggage at the security point. No bag of fruit, no board ship.:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Most know the rules Mic, but flaunt them, knowing they will get away with it.

My suggestion: Ships Security @ 'The Dress Police' to conduct a search of passengers luggage at the security point. No bag of fruit, no board ship.:evilsmile::evilsmile:

But what if you are wearing it as you board?

The rules are always clearly defined which means nothing if people choose to flaunt them. Those that flaunt the rules know full well they will never be refused admission or have any further action taken. Cruising has become so competitive that nobody wants to upset a customer in case they take their business elsewhere.

The rules are always clearly defined which means nothing if people choose to flaunt them. Those that flaunt the rules know full well they will never be refused admission or have any further action taken. Cruising has become so competitive that nobody wants to upset a customer in case they take their business elsewhere.
Correct, but if the rules are not enforced, they are merely suggestions and we all know how people feel about them.