Douro River

lois1112

I am thinking of doing a cruise on the Douro river for fall of 2018

I have done many ocean cruises (30+ on Princess alone)

I want something that starts in Lisbon and ends in Madrid

so far I'm looking at AMA and Vikking

I will be traveling solo

any suggestions? recomendations

anyone gone solo on a river cruise (I've done many ocean cruises solo)

Most of the Douro cruises start in Lisbon and bus you to Porto. From there you go up the Douro to Vega de Terron where you have a full-day bus trip to Salamance if you want, and then you sail back to Porto. Uniworld and Vantage offer one-way tours with Madrid included. Uniworld and Scenic are high-end lines that are fully inclusive, tips included in fare with an open bar. The other lines generally include most excursions and serve free beer and wine with lunch and dinner.

We will be sailing the Douro in April, 2018, and we chose Vantage. They're not our favorite line, but we liked 1) the fact that their standard cruise includes 2 nights in Madrid and 3 nights in Lisbon, 2) the price, 3) a new ship launched this year, and 4) the optional 3 night extension on the island of Madeira ($799 per person). You should ask all the lines about single supplements. From what I've heard Viking never waives theirs. Vantage does sometimes waive the supplement, and they offer a roommate matching service if you're willing to roll the dice on that.

Good luck!

Scenic

https://www.scenicusa.com/river-cruises/portugal

Uniworld:

https://www.uniworld.com/en/river-cruise/europe/spain-portugal/jewels-of-spain-portugal-and-the-douro-river/2017-lisbon-to-madrid/

Vantage

http://www.vantagetravel.com/ourjourneys/deluxe-river-cruises/european-river-cruise/ptrxx/2018/what-included/journey-highlights

Single Suppement Info

http://www.vantagetravel.com/whyvantage/waystosave/singletraveler

Most of the Douro cruises start in Lisbon and bus you to Porto. From there you go up the Douro to Vega de Terron where you have a full-day bus trip to Salamance if you want, and then you sail back to Porto. Uniworld and Vantage offer one-way tours with Madrid included. Uniworld and Scenic are high-end lines that are fully inclusive, tips included in fare with an open bar. The other lines generally include most excursions and serve free beer and wine with lunch and dinner.

We will be sailing the Douro in April, 2018, and we chose Vantage. They're not our favorite line, but we liked 1) the fact that their standard cruise includes 2 nights in Madrid and 3 nights in Lisbon, 2) the price, 3) a new ship launched this year, and 4) the optional 3 night extension on the island of Madeira ($799 per person). You should ask all the lines about single supplements. From what I've heard Viking never waives theirs. Vantage does sometimes waive the supplement, and they offer a roommate matching service if you're willing to roll the dice on that.

Good luck!

Scenic

https://www.scenicusa.com/river-cruises/portugal

Uniworld:

https://www.uniworld.com/en/river-cruise/europe/spain-portugal/jewels-of-spain-portugal-and-the-douro-river/2017-lisbon-to-madrid/

Vantage

http://www.vantagetravel.com/ourjourneys/deluxe-river-cruises/european-river-cruise/ptrxx/2018/what-included/journey-highlights

Single Suppement Info

http://www.vantagetravel.com/whyvantage/waystosave/singletraveler

thank you so much

I would love to hear how your trip is

I looked at vantage and will look again

since I travel solo often, I'm used to the single suplement fee (but don't like it)

I did it on Uniworld and loved the experience. Madrid to Lisbon. Went in early into Madrid and stayed three days longer in Portugal so to see all the castles and scenery west of Lisbon.

One of the greatest things about the river is the cruise line navigates only 123 miles of the river, and regulations dictate that it must all be done during daylight hours. No night sailing!! Except for perhaps the 30 miles outside of OPorto, the scenery is truly wonderful.

I will be traveling solo

Hi Lois,

We have recently returned from a Douro River cruise with AmaWaterways. It was our third cruise with them. (We are also Princess Cruise fans!)

I wrote a review, here is the link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=588704

We did the pre-cruise extension to Lisbon and took the train to Porto and the post-cruise extension to Madrid.

We had several singles on our cruise. Everyone mixes very well on these small ships, and by the end of the cruise, we knew just about everyone.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to try and answer.

I will be traveling solo

We did our initial cruise on the Douro on Uniworld in the spring of 2014 and loved it so much that we are returning in October of 2018. This time we have chosen Vantage (which has a brand new ship on this river) and we start in Madrid with a couple of days pre-cruise and end in Lisbon after spending 2 days in Porto. We chose October 13 departure because it is a Harvest focused cruise, which should be a lot of fun. We have traveled with Vantage once and have nothing but compliments for that cruise line. In addition to Uniworld we have cruised with Avalon and have loved all three. Look at this itinerary and see what you think.

Cole

Hi Lois,

We have recently returned from a Douro River cruise with AmaWaterways. It was our third cruise with them. (We are also Princess Cruise fans!)

I wrote a review, here is the link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=588704

We did the pre-cruise extension to Lisbon and took the train to Porto and the post-cruise extension to Madrid.

We had several singles on our cruise. Everyone mixes very well on these small ships, and by the end of the cruise, we knew just about everyone.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to try and answer.

Thank you so much..........I am leaning towards AMA so this really helped

do you think if I don't add an extra day I would have time to see the Prado, for sure I would arrive in Lisbon a day early

any advise?

Thank you so much..........I am leaning towards AMA so this really helped

do you think if I don't add an extra day I would have time to see the Prado, for sure I would arrive in Lisbon a day early

any advise?

I think you will be very happy with AMA.

If you are going to take the post extension offered with AmaWaterways, you will definitely have time to see the Prado. They give you plenty of time for seeing sights on your own, after a scheduled tour. The Westin Palace in Madrid (what AmaWaterways uses) is located across the street from the Prado.

We chose to stay an extra day just to have a more leisurely time. We spent about 4 hours in the Prado, but we took our time.

The beautiful Westin Palace in Madrid at night:

36048160244_b4bdc8e559_z.jpgIMG_1281 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Westin Palace located across from the Prado:

36073670183_f81203b0dd_z.jpgIMG_1671 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

The Prado - ticket line. We purchased our tickets the day before:

36048096964_1094be326d_z.jpgIMG_1675 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

SaveSave

I think you will be very happy with AMA.

If you are going to take the post extension offered with AmaWaterways, you will definitely have time to see the Prado. They give you plenty of time for seeing sights on your own, after a scheduled tour. The Westin Palace in Madrid (what AmaWaterways uses) is located across the street from the Prado.

We chose to stay an extra day just to have a more leisurely time. We spent about 4 hours in the Prado, but we took our time.

The beautiful Westin Palace in Madrid at night:

36048160244_b4bdc8e559_z.jpgIMG_1281 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Westin Palace located across from the Prado:

36073670183_f81203b0dd_z.jpgIMG_1671 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

The Prado - ticket line. We purchased our tickets the day before:

36048096964_1094be326d_z.jpgIMG_1675 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

SaveSave

Thank you

does anyone know the best time of year to go? (I know September is harvest season)

Do you know when AMA will post the 2019 dates?

Many attractions in Madrid offer senior discounts [not saying you're a Senior, but we were happy to get them]: just ask for "mayores" [my-oar-ace]. Also if you don't get enough of the Prado on the tour, entry is free starting at 6 pm.

Many attractions in Madrid offer senior discounts [not saying you're a Senior, but we were happy to get them]: just ask for "mayores" [my-oar-ace]. Also if you don't get enough of the Prado on the tour, entry is free starting at 6 pm.

thanks, and I am