Passport info for private Viet Nam Tours

refo

Trying to book private tours in Viet Nam. Some want passport info to pick up inside port....am uncomfortable giving passport info. Is it doable to walk to port gate from cruise ship in Chan May? What about Phu My?Does anyone know the distances....tour guide is saying it is quite a long walk. Noon arrival in April.

Thanks for any info!

Refo

Cannot speak about Chan May but in Phu My the walk is about 10 minutes to the main gate and safe to do so to.

We had a lady in our group who has some mobility problems and walks with a stick and she was able to do it comfortably.

On our return there was a golf cart sort of arrangement at the gate and they were more than happy to let us board for the short trip back to ship side.

All in all very doable for Phu My in my opinion

We also did a private tour from Phu My....No problem picking up at the main gate which is a quick walk (you can see it from the ship)...We didn't have to give any passport info to the tour guide company a member of our roll call organized.

This is a requirement for the tour operators to go into the port.

It is really no big deal. I would not worry at all providing the information and we have done this numerous times in Vietnam.

I would not wait outside the gate.

You don't know what the weather will be like and what the construction situation will be like.

Keith

has anyone done a private tour of the area and not gone into Saigon? We were there last fall and would rather not go into the city but explore the region.

Consider going to Vung Tau - old French beach city but now not much remaining of the French times and the city is getting quite large and a bit to see there as well - have a look on Trip Advisor or search here for Vung Tau.

About 3/4 hr drive each way from Phu My.

This is a requirement for the tour operators to go into the port.

It is really no big deal. I would not worry at all providing the information and we have done this numerous times in Vietnam.

I would not wait outside the gate.

You don't know what the weather will be like and what the construction situation will be like.

Keith

You are charged considerably more if they pick you up inside the gate (that was our groups experience) as they have to apply for an terminal entry permit and in that case you do have to provide all your passport info....otherwise no info is needed except for the group organizer's name and the number of participants.

When we were in Phu My the vast majority of cruiser's were walking to the terminal gate...the only ones who weren't had booked a cruiseline excursion and were lining up to board those bus's.

Many tour companies are waiting just outside the gate holding the name of your group organizer...so you're not standing out there waiting for them... There are many taxi's waiting there also for walkup transportation. When we returned there were golf carts waiting to take back to the ship if you didn't want to make the 5 min walk. There is absolutely no reason to feel uncomfortable...this is the same scenario at many port stops we've visited.

You are charged considerably more if they pick you up inside the gate (that was our groups experience) as they have to apply for an terminal entry permit and in that case you do have to provide all your passport info....otherwise no info is needed except for the group organizer's name and the number of participants.

When we were in Phu My the vast majority of cruiser's were walking to the terminal gate...the only ones who weren't had booked a cruiseline excursion and were lining up to board those bus's.

Many tour companies are waiting just outside the gate holding the name of your group organizer...so you're not standing out there waiting for them... There are many taxi's waiting there also for walkup transportation. When we returned there were golf carts waiting to take back to the ship if you didn't want to make the 5 min walk. There is absolutely no reason to feel uncomfortable...this is the same scenario at many port stops we've visited.

Actually the fee was very small for us. And we've done private tours over the course of three trips to Vietnam.

We either do private tours by ourselves or with one other couple.

No big deal. I just had to provide my passport info and one for the couple (not both but one).

I prefer for them to pick us up inside the gate so that if they are running late we can just wait either out of the sun or out of the rain. :)

I have no issues/concerns proving the information they ask for.

Often the cruise lines are providing manifests with this information as you sail along the world.

Keith