Sunday morning church service to walk to from ship in port at Bridgetown, Barbados.

Crimson60

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. It looks as if we'll be in port at Bridgetown, Barbados on a Sunday. We'd like to attend a local Sunday morning church service if possible and wonder if anyone has been to one in easy walking distance from where the ship docks at Bridgetown, Barbados.

It would be lovely to worship with local people. There seem to be Anglican churches throughout Barbados although any Christian church would be good - particularly if easy to get to walking from where the ship docks, thank you.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. It looks as if we'll be in port at Bridgetown, Barbados on a Sunday. We'd like to attend a local Sunday morning church service if possible and wonder if anyone has been to one in easy walking distance from where the ship docks at Bridgetown, Barbados.

It would be lovely to worship with local people. There seem to be Anglican churches throughout Barbados although any Christian church would be good - particularly if easy to get to walking from where the ship docks, thank you.

'Maybe also ask this question over on the Ports of Call forum?

There are al;ways plenty of ttaxis outside the terminal... grab a taxi and you'll be all set.

Thanks sail7seas - a taxi would be a good option. If anyone knows of other church services also in easy reach I'll be pleased to have information.

A taxi would let us go a bit further and if anyone has been to a Sunday service it would be good to hear how they got on, thank you.

Check with the purser's desk. They will have a list of churches and service times -- and they'll be able to tell you which ones you can attend with time to get back to the ship.

That's really good to know. Thank you very much pkay.

If you are cruising right now I hope you have a great time.

I am aware of a Catholic church in Bridgetown. It is a 20-30 minute walk from the cruise port. It is located near The Boatyard. Can provide more details if you are interested. Also, if you are planning on spending the day at The Boatyard, let me know.

• Like 1

I am aware of a Catholic church in Bridgetown. It is a 20-30 minute walk from the cruise port. It is located near The Boatyard. Can provide more details if you are interested. Also, if you are planning on spending the day at The Boatyard, let me know.

Thanks very much meadowlander. We have not got as far as thinking where to spend the day although hoped tò start at church service as it is a Sunday. Will let you know if going to The Boatyard 20-30 minute walk would be fine.

Thank you very much for replying.

Thanks very much meadowlander. We have not got as far as thinking where to spend the day although hoped tò start at church service as it is a Sunday. Will let you know if going to The Boatyard 20-30 minute walk would be fine.

Thank you very much for replying.

You are welcome. I did what you plan to do, go to mass and then enjoy the day on the island. After I attended mass, I walked perhaps 5 minutes or less to The Boatyard. It was after noon when I arrived and by that time all the chairs and umbrellas were claimed and not worth paying the entrance fee without those two amenities.

If I were to do it again, I would cab from the pier to The Boatyard. Check with management that if I were to leave and return, the chair and belongings would still be there (reserved) when I returned from mass. It is a very short walk from Boatyard to the Catholic church which has an 11 am service.

I Googled Anglican churches, Bridgetown, and it looks as though the Cathedral is a direct walk from the docks; there's also St Mary's church which looks to be in the centre of town. Now I'm going to find out if we're there on a Sunday, too!

You are welcome. I did what you plan to do, go to mass and then enjoy the day on the island. After I attended mass, I walked perhaps 5 minutes or less to The Boatyard. It was after noon when I arrived and by that time all the chairs and umbrellas were claimed and not worth paying the entrance fee without those two amenities.

If I were to do it again, I would cab from the pier to The Boatyard. Check with management that if I were to leave and return, the chair and belongings would still be there (reserved) when I returned from mass. It is a very short walk from Boatyard to the Catholic church which has an 11 am service.

Thanks - again meadowlander. Your experience is definitely paying off. I did not know what The Boatyard was but, after your helpful post, I looked into it. We probably would not sit anywhere when in port as we tend to keep on the go - so, although it sounds very good and relaxing, it may not be the place for us.

The lovely thing about this forum is being able to benefit from the valuable experiences of others who are more experienced cruisers. I do appreciate your replies.

I Googled Anglican churches, Bridgetown, and it looks as though the Cathedral is a direct walk from the docks; there's also St Mary's church which looks to be in the centre of town. Now I'm going to find out if we're there on a Sunday, too!

Thank you for replying jocap. I'm taking all this helpful information in and really appreciate it. It is good to know that there are so many options for Sundays in port.

On our first, and only previous, cruise we were never in port for a Sunday church service and we'll be pleased to include it this time.

Thank you for replying jocap. I'm taking all this helpful information in and really appreciate it. It is good to know that there are so many options for Sundays in port.

On our first, and only previous, cruise we were never in port for a Sunday church service and we'll be pleased to include it this time.

I've actually replied on another page...:rolleyes:... We checked when we're next in Barbados, and yes, it's a Sunday in Jan, but my OH, who has walked to the cathedral before, says it's much too hot for me to do, so it will be a taxi.

I've actually replied on another page...:rolleyes:... We checked when we're next in Barbados, and yes, it's a Sunday in Jan, but my OH, who has walked to the cathedral before, says it's much too hot for me to do, so it will be a taxi.

I got your other reply, jocap, thanks. I had posted on the other thread at first and was redirected here. ......Not familiar with all these great forums yet - but getting better!

Our cruise, in February, must be the one after yours.

Edited by Crimson60

We've ending up in Barbados a few times on Sunday and have attended services at both the Anglican (Episcopal) and Catholic churches in Bridgetown. Before we sailed we checked out the website for "Catholic Mass Schedule" and same for Anglican/Episcopal. Just follow the prompts for locations/name/time etc. We're "walkers" and have always walked. It takes about a 1/2 hr. For some folks that's a bit too far, but cabs are readily available. Lots of great music at the services there!

We've ending up in Barbados a few times on Sunday and have attended services at both the Anglican (Episcopal) and Catholic churches in Bridgetown. Before we sailed we checked out the website for "Catholic Mass Schedule" and same for Anglican/Episcopal. Just follow the prompts for locations/name/time etc. We're "walkers" and have always walked. It takes about a 1/2 hr. For some folks that's a bit too far, but cabs are readily available. Lots of great music at the services there!

Thank you very much Marco. It sounds as if we'll be able to walk to church without any problem - looking forward to going.

I got your other reply, jocap, thanks. I had posted on the other thread at first and was redirected here. ......Not familiar with all these great forums yet - but getting better!

Our cruise, in February, must be the one after yours.

Round trip UK and back on Ventura? ;)

And thanks, Marco... yes, I'm unable to manage walking in heat. :)

Round trip UK and back on Ventura? ;)

And thanks, Marco... yes, I'm unable to manage walking in heat. :)

Just out of interest, jocap, I'll look at your cruise route - it sounds really good and you are obviously a seasoned cruiser. We have only been one one cruise so far, Eastern Caribbean, and loved all of it. That's why we decided to visit the Caribbean again.

This will be our second venture and we are so excited about it.

Just out of interest, jocap, I'll look at your cruise route - it sounds really good and you are obviously a seasoned cruiser. We have only been one one cruise so far, Eastern Caribbean, and loved all of it. That's why we decided to visit the Caribbean again.

This will be our second venture and we are so excited about it.

When Ventura offered their first ever month cruise to the Carib and back, we were really excited about it, and absolutely loved every minute, so now it's become an annual event. We meet up with others from the last cruises, who, like us, enjoy a winter break. It's such a relaxed cruise, with lovely long sea days, filled with activities if you want them. Several crew members told us that for them it's a friendly cruise because people spend time talking to them.

We take a shorter cruise later on in the year, and try another line or ship- soon we'll be on Fred Olsen to Norway, but just for 9 days...that will seem so brief now!

When Ventura offered their first ever month cruise to the Carib and back, we were really excited about it, and absolutely loved every minute, so now it's become an annual event. We meet up with others from the last cruises, who, like us, enjoy a winter break. It's such a relaxed cruise, with lovely long sea days, filled with activities if you want them. Several crew members told us that for them it's a friendly cruise because people spend time talking to them.

We take a shorter cruise later on in the year, and try another line or ship- soon we'll be on Fred Olsen to Norway, but just for 9 days...that will seem so brief now!

It sounds lovely and so good to be able to meet up with good friends from former cruises.

We are definitely novices as this will be our second cruise. The good friend I go on holiday with only retired less than a year ago and we are so excited to have such a lovely cruising opportunity again - and so soon.

The whole cruising experience has been so much more enjoyable than we could ever have imagined. To be in the Caribbean and on a cruise ship again (especially away from our February winter) is just beyond what I could have ever hoped for in my retirement.

It really is good to be able to benefit on this forum from the experiences of more seasoned cruisers. Thank you again - and I hope you enjoy your two forthcoming cruises jocap.