Booking inside and wait for upgrade

weloverunning

I would like your opinion. Looking to book Getaway for November. Inside is $330 less than balcony. If I understand correctly, if you accept an upgrade you do NOT receive the second free perk. We are not interested in any of the second free perks (we will not be getting off the ship to use the excursion perk, definitely no internet usage, we are platinum so we get two free LeBistro dinners. and there will not be any third person). So I don’t want to pay for any of these. (Unless they suddenly add the prepaid service charge as a perk down the line.)

The only other difference I see is $50 OBC for inside versus $100 OBC for balcony. We really don’t have a preference on cabin since we have been on 36 cruises.

Would we be better off paying the $1617 for inside versus $1997 and bid up to $100 per person for the balcony (if the offer should arise)?

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 13.0px}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Thanks for any opinions.

That's similar to our thought process. All I wanted was the UBP, and balconies were running $600 pp more than insides when we booked. So, I picked out an inside in a good location and then placed a fair-good bid on a balcony. If we get it, we end up saving almost $900. If we don't, it's not the end of the world to cruise in an inside.

If you mean it's $330/person cheaper I'd be all over booking an inside room. I'd much rather spend the $660 on excursions etc. I've never done the bidding thing but an extra $200 total seems worth it to upgrade. But 'worth' is to each his own. As I'm sure you'll hear completely different from others.

I have a inside cabin booked on the escape for janurary. When you I receive an email about an upgrade.? How many days out

Badgeaz

There are few other active threads all about the upgrade program.. usually on the first page. Check those out.

to answer you question.... seems like just under 60 days out.

I would like your opinion. Looking to book Getaway for November. Inside is $330 less than balcony. If I understand correctly, if you accept an upgrade you do NOT receive the second free perk. We are not interested in any of the second free perks (we will not be getting off the ship to use the excursion perk, definitely no internet usage, we are platinum so we get two free LeBistro dinners. and there will not be any third person). So I don’t want to pay for any of these. (Unless they suddenly add the prepaid service charge as a perk down the line.)

The only other difference I see is $50 OBC for inside versus $100 OBC for balcony. We really don’t have a preference on cabin since we have been on 36 cruises.

Would we be better off paying the $1617 for inside versus $1997 and bid up to $100 per person for the balcony (if the offer should arise)?

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 13.0px}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Thanks for any opinions.

1 - From what I am reading, the perk part is not part of the question. You get whatever perks come with your ORIGINALLY booked cabin. No changes if you move up.

2 - You are happy with inside, but might consider trying to an upgrade. Keep in mind only a few actually win the upgrade. It all depends on how many cabins are even open to upgrade into. And the price depends on what other people bid - which you do not know.

3 - NOTICE: There is some sort of editing font stuff happening at the bottom of your post. I thought it was your signature, but not.

If you are happy with your current choice of Inside on the GA, and don't mind/care for being assigned to ANY balcony if the (low) bid for an upgrade is accepted - my thinking, you aren't gaining anything to pay upfront for the higher priced balcony (take out the extra OBC in the calculus). Who knows, maybe you can get that GTY balcony assignment for less than $100 p/p ?

We have an Oceanview, location & deck selection of our choice and at 80 days out, got the bidding offer (and it was re-send to those/anyone again less than 3 weeks later, just in case ... to those that didn't submit any bidding, from those on the Roll Call) With lots of unsold inventory at under 10 weeks out, we put in a low bid - a poor bid - just for fun to see as it's just the 2 of us, don't need all the extra bells & whistles.

We don't go for extra specialty meals or beverages and unlikely to do any shorex - 2 evenings of comp'd meals are just fine and 310 minutes of "free" internet will cover us while at sea.

On selected sailing, it seemed like some are getting accepted very early by NCL - probably high bidders, before they changed their mind & lower the bids - at 3 to 4 weeks out. Our last bid on the Gem was accepted almost 2 weeks out and a poor/fair bid ... don't mind spending a little more but not going to be over-generous playing this "let's get you to name your highest price" game.

The only question to ask is whether or not you are happy booking an inside room. I've never received an upsell call under the old program or email under the new program. I don't know that you can count on being able to upgrade to a balcony later. Many people would consider a balcony worth an extra $330 pp, so you aren't just paying for the second perk. If you are totally fine with an inside room and are only mildly interested in a balcony, go for it. If you are secretly really hoping to get the upgrade, you may want to just book the room you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums