Hurricane Irma Watch

long story short, my brother is in Puerto Rico...he leaves on a carnival cruise tomorrow. They were really considering cancelling because his inlaws have the flu. The inlaws have family in Puerto Rico and told my brother and their son to go ahead and go on the cruise. The cruise was really a way to say thanks to the inlaws. Well they found out that almost all flights out of San Juan are booked and sold out for the next few days due to folks being terrified of Irma coming. People are already getting out. There were maybe two flights left for Monday and it would have cost them over $1000 each. So now they are going.

As for the inlaws, they are staying in Puerto Rico and will leave when they were expecting too....in two weeks. If it weren't for this possible hurricane, my brother would be heading home, but since it costs too much to fly back, they are going on the cruise.

(they do have cruise insurance but it covers up to the original cost of the flight ($278 one way).

I'm glad we got insurance months ago. Most policies will only include hurricane aid if you sign up before the storm is named, and Irma was named several days ago.

At his point I'm wondering if my cruise will even happen. Supposed to be 9/10 (Allure) and we're flying in from the Bay Area on 9/9. It seems if they wait until the last minute to cancel the cruise we'll be in the area, and potentially in harm's way of the storm. We're booked at the Embassy Suites, which like many of the hotels there, is right on or near the water's edge. This could be a very sticky situation and I hope a decision is made before we leave. I don't want to be there then be stuck there.

We are on the Allure 9/10 as well, flying in on 9/9..this week rccl made a decision only 1 day before in changing itinerary for the 9/3 sailing...I would be fine if it were only that. What happens if we fly in and now Allure can't return to port and we are stuck in a hurricane..what a mess..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are on the Allure 9/10 as well, flying in on 9/9..this week rccl made a decision only 1 day before in changing itinerary for the 9/3 sailing...I would be fine if it were only that. What happens if we fly in and now Allure can't return to port and we are stuck in a hurricane..what a mess..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Allure is out of FL? I think by Wednesday they will know more about whether it turns or goes to GOM. We fly out on 9/8 and leave from NOLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is a GOM solution?

Sorry, a weather forecast model (there are many many models) that shows the storm tracking into the Gulf of Mexico. None of the major models do right now, but that could change with the next set of model runs.

(I spend too much time lurking on meteorology forums, the jargon leaks in.)

Sorry, a weather forecast model (there are many many models) that shows the storm tracking into the Gulf of Mexico. None of the major models do right now, but that could change with the next set of model runs.

(I spend too much time lurking on meteorology forums, the jargon leaks in.)

Thanks! And for spelling out GOM - I was not getting that one. :)

We are booked on the Majesty of the Seas set to sail out of Orlando on Friday, September 8th. We leave for Orlando tomorrow morning, so we will be watching the weather closely as we get closer to the date. It's only a three night cruise. If the cruise ends up being cancelled, we will just stay in Orlando for a few extra day at Disney or Universal (we have annual passes to both parks). We haven't booked a hotel yet (we almost did today, but then changed our minds).

Hurricane Irma is gaining a lot of strength in the middle of the Atlantic and we are now getting some better models as to where she may be headed, and it may not look good. Of course it is not certain the direct path of the storm, but many models are putting it in line of potential danger. Hopefully the storm heads north and not make any landfall, and hopefully this is all for not. But because this storm now has a realistic possibly of disrupting the lives within the Caribbean and east coast of the US, it is something I believe needs to be watched. It may be early, but that could also mean we can be better prepared with less of a surprise.

Now many of us have cruises booked on RCCL ships. Irma could alter some of those cruises in some way. This is why I am creating this thread. Hopefully, it is all for not. I have a Sept 10th sailing on Allure, so I am watching Irma closely.

Here are some current conditions and productive models of Irma...

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-atlantic-ocean

Now as I always say... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thankfully, Irma is far out in the ocean and we have an early warning of it. Plenty of time to prepare.

Again, I am making this thread for all of us to watch and prepare for Hurricane Irma, and mostly to inform and to keep us cruisers up-to-date on developing situations with our booked cruises and in general.

Thank you🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An informative update from Weather.com/The Weather Channel.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/irma-major-hurricane-atlantic-ocean-intensification

From the article:

This is the first time the name Irma has been used for an Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane. Irma replaced the name Irene after it was retired for the damage it caused in the Bahamas and the U.S. during the 2011 hurricane season.

Let's hope this isn't a trend.

Edited by HallOfPromise

Sailing out of Miami on Sept 8 on the Norwegian Sky to the a Bahamas. Hoping it's not canceled but rerouted. 👍🏼👍🏼

Sharon

Your ports will be changed but you will get out to sea. We are SUPPOSED to go out on 9/11 and I am worried that we won't be able to get out of Miami.

Here is a question for everyone, how bad does it have to get for POM to close?

Your ports will be changed but you will get out to sea. We are SUPPOSED to go out on 9/11 and I am worried that we won't be able to get out of Miami.

Here is a question for everyone, how bad does it have to get for POM to close?

It seems like, after Harvey/Liberty, RC will try to keep going whether the port is closed or not.