Hurricane Irma Watch

I should have bought some of those off Slickdeals a few weeks ago; they cost almost nothing now. I am curious what is happening outside but I am not opening shutters to look.

It took me three reads to realize you were talking about buying a *security cam* on slickdeals and that you weren't bagging on the real estate value of older PBG houses. :)

Edit: I grew up in Lake Park and have the crappy public school education to prove it, and lived everywhere from Jupiter to Boca before I noped out of FL. I worked at the Palm Beach Post back when newspapers were still a thing. (Speaking of which, I hear the Post evacuated their offices ... that building is a bunker, and when I worked there we were expected to be *at work* during a hurricane.)

It took me three reads to realize you were talking about buying a *security cam* on slickdeals and that you weren't bagging on the real estate value of older PBG houses. :)

Edit: I grew up in Lake Park and have the crappy public school education to prove it, and lived everywhere from Jupiter to Boca before I noped out of FL. I worked at the Palm Beach Post back when newspapers were still a thing. (Speaking of which, I hear the Post evacuated their offices ... that building is a bunker, and when I worked there we were expected to be *at work* during a hurricane.)

A few months ago we had a half a week of meetings and rented the conference space at the PB Post building. Small world

WPBF saying they don't expect these hurricanes to be hugely damaging, more dangerous because they form suddenly (but don't last long).

(Don't bother being snippy, just repeating what a WPB forecaster just said.)

I think you meant tornadoes. Yes, traditionally, tornadoes from hurricanes tend ro be thin short lived twisters. However, Harvey spun off I know for sure one wedge tornado. I would have to look up if there was more than one...

A few months ago we had a half a week of meetings and rented the conference space at the PB Post building. Small world

Well, if you consider all the good Cuban food right around there (which I cannot get for love or money in my home state), you have the reason I was one of the people whining loudly about the loss of Flamingo Grill on the Getaway. :) One of the things I really miss about FL. That and roads that are grids instead of spiderwebs.

Anyway, stay safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAh78NvJZk

Wow! There was a homeless guy on Duval Street for the longest time. Then a guy came walking up to him and after a few minutes of talking (convincing?), the homeless guy got up and followed his rescuer(?) Amazing that someone came along to help. Sad that the guy was out on the street in the first place.

The link is the live stream of Duval Street. If you can click back to about 8:28 on the clock, you'll see what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAh78NvJZk

Wow! There was a homeless guy on Duval Street for the longest time. Then a guy came walking up to him and after a few minutes of talking (convincing?), the homeless guy got up and followed his rescuer(?) Amazing that someone came along to help. Sad that the guy was out on the street in the first place.

The link is the live stream of Duval Street. If you can click back to about 8:28 on the clock, you'll see what happened.

Keys culture in a nutshell.

Looks like she is starting to make that sharp N turn they have been talking about. She stalled out for a while, which needed to happen for a storm this big to turn...

Those who stayed, please keep reporting (well, those not on ignore lol) and may you have modern conveniences as long as possible!!!

They currently have a Category 4-5 hurricane landing on Tampa. My family, they have decided to stay. But not sure their wood framed house can hold up against that.

I am very sad, I feel helpless. I guess when you get upset it is a natural reaction to blame someone.

It's the hurricane's fault. May God be with them. May God be with all of us.

Like I posted yesterday, I'm on the west coast of Florida, north of Tampa near Crystal River. Yesterday, the projected track of Irma was right over my house before it was moved further west! :eek: Thankfully, I'm not on the water (boarded up and hunkered down) but a lot of family and friends are. The storm surge from Hermaine really hit that area of Crystal River hard. And the forecasted storm surge from Irma looks a lot worse.

Depending upon whether Irma intensifies over the gulf, it may be a Cat 3 when it reaches here. I'm praying it loses a lot of steam before that.

I was wondering which scenario is worse - having the eye pass right over you inland or just east of you but offshore? Is one worse for wind and the other worse for storm surge? Or does it even matter with a hurricane this big?

Praying for all who may be impacted.

~ Judy

We had a lot of tornadoes during Harvey, and they are worse at night. Many of my friends set up mini bedrooms in their laundry rooms and master closets and had their families sleeping in there night after night. It was awful. Since we have tornado experience from our midwestern years, they didn't scare us so much since they are a lot smaller here, but a lot of damage was done to homes within just a couple of miles from us. I still get a little anxious if I hear a weather alert going off on a phone.

They currently have a Category 4-5 hurricane landing on Tampa. My family, they have decided to stay. But not sure their wood framed house can hold up against that.

I am very sad, I feel helpless. I guess when you get upset it is a natural reaction to blame someone.

Latest forecast looks like could stay a Cat 3, not strengthen. Hope that it will drop strength again or edge out west even further...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I flew out of Orlando today at noon after a week at Disney. The airport was by far the most empty I've ever seen it. I was in the Southwest area, they were actively shutting down gates, putting trash bags and shrink wrap over all the computers, monitors and TVs. All the ramp equipment was moved (I assume they put what they could indoors and moved the rest away from the terminal). The inboard flight on my gate had 23 people on it. Taxing out it was insane how many empty gates there were with their jet bridges lowered all the way down, wheel in chocks, and no ramp equipment.

Surprisingly my flight left with about 20 seats on it, it had been 100% soldout and 8 standbys got on the flight. I am assuming many of the no shows were from cruises that didn't make it in.

The parking garages were all full. The rental car lots that I saw had cars parked as close together as possible and every possible place to park a car had a car on it. I'm guessing they've never actually had all of their cars in the garage at the same time. Hertz actually had cars parked on the road outside of their area. I Noticed the Alamo by Magic Kingdom had a handful of cars on Sunday, about ~70 cars on Wednesday and probably 200+ on Friday, some of them were parked very close to a pond.

The weather experts appear to have blown this. Now the west coast is very unprepared. As we see.
I guess I've been listening to different weather experts. The ones I've been listening too have been saying all along that the path of the storm is uncertain - that's why they call the cone of its projected path the "cone of uncertainty". They've also said that the entirety of Florida is going to be very significantly affected very consistently. Whatever lack of preparation there is can be attributed to ignoring the need to take some prudent preventive action even when they current projections didn't directly call for it.

USE YOUR own best judgment. I am not so confident in media, experts, people with PHD's and so on..
If it weren't for them, people in Tampa would still be unaware that a hurricane is coming. :rolleyes:

Lives are at stake. If I can't make accurate predictions, I am not picking a horsey.
Ok. No further comment.
Given that you would have hurricane experts not warn people about hurricanes until they're absolutely sure where the eye will go (i.e., minutes before the eyewall arrives), that might be prudent.

This being said, I will add that Miami (being Miami) did get the majority of the "what if" coverage! At times it was as if there wasn't any other cities in Southern FL potentially impacted!
The media will do features on whatever will get the most eyeballs on their advertising, no question. That doesn't nullify what the weather experts actually said when presenting the forecast itself.

We are listening to local news and following the State site and no word of severe power outages.
The chart is only showing the relative possibilities. No chart is saying, "You in XXX, you will be without power for three days." It is safe to say that there will be power outages, and that some places are more likely that others to be affected, but where those outages will be and how long each individual house will regain power will vary.

No matter what happens, people are going to whine and point fingers, which solves exactly nothing.
This. Stress brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

You are a "wishcaster" and I don't blame you. I would also wish my cruise would go off as planned.
Keep in mind that while there may be wishcasters there are also doomcasters (and I won't speculate why). Some of the doomcasters a couple of weeks ago said that we wouldn't be seeing cruises from Galveston for a while. Well that didn't turn out to be correct.

Look up the definition.
It is clearly hyperbole. Both coasts will "incur damage" is perhaps what the poster meant to say.

Honestly, leaving the state became pretty much impossible a day or two ago. The average speed on the 2 main highways north was 7-10 MPH.
I'm sorry but that is simply not the case. A friend of mine lives in the same area as Tony, and left Thursday at 4pm and by yesterday noontime had made it to North Carolina where he's waiting out the storm.

The east coast is not going to get that type of storm surge this time around.
Actually a specific portion of the east coast will, but your core point is right on target: The previous poster's prediction of devastation for the east coast in general is troublingly doom-begging.

Some damage is expected, devastation is different.
Precisely.

Yes, very true. Thanks for acknowledging that.

I hope all goes well for all who are in Florida. Edited by bUU