Hurricane Irma Watch

You are a "wishcaster" and I don't blame you. I would also wish my cruise would go off as planned.

Life is an adventure - just adapt when things don't go as planned. If we can make it to the ship on time it will be a fantastic cruise.

I've been on nearly 20 cruises in the past, but this one might be the craziest one. Imagine a newer ship like Harmony, with only half the passengers. No lines, no crowds, no chair hogs. Pretty sweet.

Plus it's basically free with 50% refundable credit and 50% future cruise credit.

Give us call when you get on the ship we can compare notes 10260.

5 PM Update.

The governor and emergency management has been giving updates about possible power outages for Central Florida, with the current track. Expect, prepare, and hope for the best!

21432697_1463994960352852_8258841395634152231_n.jpg?oh=31cdd5d127db13ed22772e44503acce2&oe=5A51F5AD

The only way to prepare for power outages is to have a generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well...we are out. RCCL just emailed us with the confirmation of our cancelled cruise (9/15), they will be using the ship for humanitarian work in the Caribbean bringing supplies to the islands affected by the hurricane. Full refund of our cruise, shore excursions and drink packages. Plus, 25% off our next cruise booked within the next 30 days. We are looking to the first week of either December or January. We had never booked a fall cruise before and this for sure taught us a lesson. Classy act on RCCL side, full refunds, 25 % off next cruise and humanitarian outreach, nothing we can complain about. Good Luck to y'all!!

I'm not leaving now. Geez. The storm will be in Georgia when I pull out of my driveway.

If you are not in an evacuation zone, generally speaking, it's better to stay put. Us Floridians generally know that. You hide from wind, evacuate from water. There is no reason to get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic to evacuate potential wind and losing electricity.

We are sticking it out, we are in great spirits, everything is just fine.

I don't know what reports you were listening to. But I keep hearing repeatedly that the entire state was at risk. So that would include where it's now predicted to hit. Honestly I don't know why more people didn't just leave the entire state. People have had days of being told this storm will impact all of Florida.

Honestly, leaving the state became pretty much impossible a day or two ago. The average speed on the 2 main highways north was 7-10 MPH. Gas was not readily available. Hotels were not available. There are a lot that just can't afford to leave. People that don't live here really don't have the right to say "Just evacuate!" It really isn't that simple.

The entire state IS at risk. Just because the eye is now projected to go up the west coast, doesn't mean it is not going to affect the east coast. We live on the east coast, the eye is probably 300 + miles from us at the moment, and we are already getting rain bands and wind. It's not bad yet, but it is going to get a lot worse. This is a monster storm.

As far as the projected path changing, it happens every time. Forecasters do their best, and other weather systems do steer a hurricane, but hurricanes kind of have a mind of their own.

If you are not in an evacuation zone, generally speaking, it's better to stay put. Us Floridians generally know that. You hide from wind, evacuate from water. There is no reason to get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic to evacuate potential wind and losing electricity.

We're in Melbourne, and we are sticking it out also. Good luck to you, and all other Floridians here!!

Some people are of sound mind and not chasing little things to drive their followers up.

What East Coast of Florida is going to be "devestate" (devastate) ? Look up the definition.

The worse comes after the storm has passed. It's called storm surge. There is a possibility of 15' storm surge in some areas. That will bring the water to the roof tops of homes. Most deaths caused by hurricanes aren't by the winds or by flying debris. Most deaths are caused by drowning. Yes, that is devastation.

We're in Melbourne, and we are sticking it out also. Good luck to you, and all other Floridians here!!

Right on. This is just another weekend in Florida ;p

But seriously, we are prepared for hurricanes. It's part of the culture here. Building codes are strict. People support each other. We'll be fine. A little uncomfortable when the power takes a dive, but we'll be fine.

The worse comes after the storm has passed. It's called storm surge. There is a possibility of 15' storm surge in some areas. That will bring the water to the roof tops of homes. Most deaths caused by hurricanes aren't by the winds or by flying debris. Most deaths are caused by drowning. Yes, that is devastation.

The east coast is not going to get that type of storm surge this time around. And anyone in an area prone to surge has mandatory evacuations and they have virtually all evacuated. I think the point another poster was making is that the east coast is pretty much spared "devastation" and that appears to be true. Some damage is expected, devastation is different.

To my friend just down the road, I suspect Flagler Beach and Ormond by the Seas will have issues again. The structures put up after Matthew washed out a stretch of A1A is only Temporary. I think they are waiting on funding to attempt a more permanent fix. You can not out fox Mother Nature. I've seen fires in Florida, Tornados, and Hurricanes readjust the landscape. That is what they do.

I haven't seen any forecast of 15' surge on the East Coast since the eye seems to be headed for Tampa area. Not saying it will not happen. We saw a weaker storm hit the Pensacola area and completely rearranged the outer islands. Houses were buried in sand. Building codes are much better today.

Well...we are out. RCCL just emailed us with the confirmation of our cancelled cruise (9/15), they will be using the ship for humanitarian work in the Caribbean bringing supplies to the islands affected by the hurricane. Full refund of our cruise, shore excursions and drink packages. Plus, 25% off our next cruise booked within the next 30 days. We are looking to the first week of either December or January. We had never booked a fall cruise before and this for sure taught us a lesson. Classy act on RCCL side, full refunds, 25 % off next cruise and humanitarian outreach, nothing we can complain about. Good Luck to y'all!!

We are out too. Was going on the Oasis 9/10 cruise, but cancelled and rescheduled for April. All we got was the credit towards next cruise, which costs a little more, but oh well. When I go on my first cruise I want to have a good experience and not have to deal with all the stress of this storm and driving 1,000 miles for a 4 day cruise just didn't make sense. I do however feel like RCCL should have just refunded everyone with a 25% credit.