Southampton hotel.

_kerry_

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn too. Rooms are basic and a bit dated, but really just fine and the restaurant was good.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

We ate in the restaurant and it was more than acceptable. Breakfast was good as well. I liked having a drink in the hotel lobby area - but for some odd reason I have a thing about hotel lobbies !

I've only stayed in Southampton itself once, we stayed at The White Star Tavern. Lovely place but no parking and I could have done without the fire alarm going off at stupid o'clock.

The White Star Now part of the Fullers Pub group.

Mercure Southampton Dolphin Hotel or the Grand Harbour Hotel are also good and have Parking.

Edited by Pennbank

Where do you usually stay when in Southampton. We would like to come down to Southampton the day before we leave on our holiday trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good ship views from the Holiday Inn if you take a high floor. Good parking. We usually stay in an Exec room and they are quite good.

Stayed at the Grand Harbour too but prefer the views at the Holiday Inn.

I find the Ibis is comfortable and has a good sized car park. It's also very hand for the railway station for anyone coming by train. The new Travelodge on Castle Street was nice but no air con and limited parking. The Premier Inn is also nice and do a very good breakfast.

When I go down in April it's a Saturday night so the hotels in the centre were quite pricey, but I got a good deal at the Premier Inn next to the airport. Not too far to travel into Southampton in the morning and next to the airport train station if for any reason I need a plan B.

We always stay at the Ellington Lodge at The Concorde Club. An overnight stay package, dinner, breakfast with parking for up to a month costs less than parking at the docks for the holiday. Transfer to docks and back by taxi is free. Plus usually there is a Jazz group playing there at the famous Concorde Club.

We have stayed in many of the hotels in the area pre cruise. For our last cruise we stayed in the pilgrim inn on the other side of the water. Lovely room and journey to the port only about 20 mins. Good price too! We also sometimes stop in Winchester for the pre cruise night.

In Southampton it's self the best places we have been to have been the Grand Harbour when they have a good deal on and the Novatel. We have had particularly bad experiences at the Hilton and, especially the Holiday Inn.

We've stayed at the Hollyday Inn in July the night before QM2 crossing to New York.

- Location: Good. We had a long quiet and beautiful walk in Southampton's oldtown in the afternoon.

- Room fine (I asked a room on the Ocean Terminal... and got it! I let you imagine, looking through the window at 6am..."YES! SHE'S HERE!!!")

- Restaurant (diner and breakfast) good

- 0.8 miles to Ocean Terminal (gone by foot!)

For a relaxing start I can recommend the Ellington Lodge at the Concorde club just off the M27. They offer a pre-cruise package which includes bed,breakfast,evening meal the evening before the cruise.It also includes parking at the hotel for duration of the cruise and a taxi to and from the terminal,about 15 minutes away.They were very efficient and we had a very enjoyable stay.The cost was about £200.

If you opt for the Holiday Inn, the one you should select is in Herbert Walker Avenue, Southampton. It is a proper Holiday Inn with a basic gym and a swimming pool unlike the Holiday Inn Express on the Motorway network. It is a nice, pleasant budget end hotel with close proximity to the quayside and they will book you taxis from reception if you ask.

Opposite this is the Grand Harbour Hotel, which is a more modern design hotel, obviously as close to the quayside as the Holiday Inn. They also have a swimming pool which in this hotel is within the main building unlike the Holiday Inn where it is in a separate building. Grand Harbour also run a "Cruise Lounge" 7am to 7pm for residents and non-residents who can have snacks and drinks, luggage storage and transfer to ships by their concierge staff.

The Hilton at Ageas Bowl, Hampshire County cricket ground is good with excellent balcony club rooms overlooking the cricket pitch. Excellent more upmarket hotel if your budget will run to it and the taxi will be cost more due to its more distant location.

Regards John

We always stay at the Holiday inn,Herbert Walker Avenue.We find it excellent and easy to get taxis,just ask at reception and job done......Also close to some nice new reataurants just opened in the lower section of the West Quay shopping centre...

Hi

Stayed at Hilton Southampton for last cruise and it was awful! Never again

Favourite is the Pig in the wall lovely boutique hotel opposite the holiday inn - no lift so those cases need to be carried up the stairs

Premier inn again the usual premier inn good room good bed good awful

Also stayed at the Devere just outside southampton which was good

Novotel was good last November

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have stayed at many hotels in the area over the years, but our hotel of choice is the Holiday Inn just outside Winchester. A modern hotel, reviews vary as usual, but we like it for pre cruise and a stop off when we are going to the south west.

Be warned its Boat Show month in Southampton, and some road works in progress as well, although the gate closure does not apply to the Cunard terminals, there could be a knock on effect!

from the ABP parking site

Travel Information

Please check your travel arrangements before leaving for the Port of Southampton.

M3 Junctions 2 - 4a Overnight closures in place - motorway is currently restricted to 50mph across all 4 lanes during the day - Please allow yourself enough travelling time.

M4 advanced warning of Overnight closure junctions 12 and 13 scheduled to start mid August and will continue for 8 months. - Please allow yourslef enought travelling time.

Any disruptions can be found by visiting info@highwaysengland.co.uk

Please note this is a very busy month for the Port of Southampton and the following information needs to be followed.

DOCK GATE 8 IS NOW CLOSED FOR THE SOUTHAMPTON BOAT SHOW AND ACCESS TO THE CITY CRUISE TERMINAL IS VIA DOCK GATE 10 UNTIL 1ST OCTOBER 2017.

Please also note you can enter the port via Dock Gate 20 as you come of the M271 - Post Code SO15 1DA -

Information on travel arrangements for Southampton can also be found at https://myjourneysouthampton.com/