Formal/Theme Nights

NeedPeace

Please could someone advise me regarding the 'themed' formal night dress code?

One of the themed nights on the upcoming Q.E. 50th Anniversary cruise is "Roaring Twenties", no problem for women to be in evening AND 20's dress in one outfit but for men it's not so straightforward is it? If he's in a tuxedo/DJ he's not in 20's style and vice versa. I am probably panicking over nothing but this is our first cruise and we are anxious not to upset or offend anyone who is used to the system (or for that matter to look like a pair of idiots!)

There was a "roaring twenties" theme night on our recent Queen Elizabeth cruise. Some ladies wore 20s style dresses, but I don't recall seeing any men wearing anything other than standard black tie. If you decide not to dress in the themed costume, worry not - you will certainly not be in the minority.

During the roaring twenties, most men wore tuxedos during the evening hours to dinner and then to the night clubs. It would have only been the back street clubs where one might find a more rowdy crowd. In fact until WW II tuxedos were worn even at home with just the family at the table in the "proper" homes for dinner

Is one really required to dress up on formal/theme nights. We go on a cruise to relax. Long dresses and black tie, even suits and ties for men, are out for us. Or should we avoid Cunard and sail on lines like Regent and Seabourn that have relaxed dress codes, i.e. Smart casual.

I thought from your previous posts you had already booked ?

Dress codes are on the Cunard website.

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. *A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

Informal (Jacket Required):

Evenings would consist*of a required jacket and optional*tie for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent. No jeans or shorts.

Thanks for remembering Hattie. We have booked a cruise on The QE and are already considering another one, but are concerned about the formality of Cunard. We will probably wait until our forthcoming QE cruise to see how we enjoy it before booking with Cunard again. Maybe even getting an onboard booking discount.

Is one really required to dress up on formal/theme nights. We go on a cruise to relax. Long dresses and black tie, even suits and ties for men, are out for us. Or should we avoid Cunard and sail on lines like Regent and Seabourn that have relaxed dress codes, i.e. Smart casual.

We agree with you 100%. Our cruise lines of choice are Crystal, Oceania and Viking all of whom are in the 21 century as to dress.

We have booked on QM2 in a suite large enough to eat comfortably in. We plan eat in most nights and just enjoy each other and our butler serviced dinners.

For us dictators for formal wear went out years ago.

Taking a chance and on Cunard one time may prove to be enough.

Edited by orchestrapal

You could dine informally in the buffet but that really would be a shame, the food and service in Princess Grill is so much better.

There is always room service as orchestrapal plans but you are still missing the best of the ship.

I have no idea, I would hope that he would be discretely reminded of the dress code and denied entry.

I have never seen a man in any of the formal restaurants without a jacket although others have reported otherwise.

Hattie,

I agree...

I have seen denial to the restaurant and the people returning in the proper dress not knowing how serious Cunard is to set the tone.

The people were informed in a very respectful and proper fashion.

Actually with the AC, a jacket on informal is a welcome addition. QM2 passengers are very respectful to the theme of the Line.

Maybe we should start a revolution, but I believe Karl Marx wore a dinner jacket.

Why bother starting a revolution over the Cunard dress code? There are plenty of lines to choose if this does not fit your vacation style. I for one, travel on the Queens, because I find the formality different to the casual life at home, and believe many others feel the same way.

Whatever, I hope you enjoy your QE trip, and find that the evenings are memorable, even if you wear a dress and your husband a suit and tie.

What happens on informal nights in the Princess Grill if a man arrives without a jacket.

In my experience the dress code on Cunard is pretty rigorously enforced. You are expected to wear a jacket even on informal nights. The only exception is the buffet, and it really would be a shame to miss the excellent food in the restaurants for the sake of a jacket!

Yes, avoid Cunard like the plague, it's not for you. You will be a lot happier in the long run with the other lines.

Regards John