Bringing bottled soda onboard?

joseph123

I understand the policy for bringing wine onboard and incurring a corkage fee for anymore than 2 bottles brought onboard at embarkation, however I am just wondering what the policy is relative to soft drinks. Would I be able to bring a few bottles onboard in my carry on or would they be confiscated at check in?

Bring it by the case, because then you can have a luggage tag put on it. Cans or bottles, but in cases.

NO - it is supposed to be carry on only now. It's been that way for a while. Please do NOT do this or soda will go the way of the wine policy. :(. One of the reasons the wine policy changed was due to people slapping luggage tags on cases. Or at least that's what the HD told our focus group.

Wow, that is surprising! I would think they would want to place some controls on this to protect their potential revenues. Are you allowed to bring it into the dining rooms or is it just for consumption in staterooms?

Stateroom. If you are going to have soda in public areas, please buy HAL's ;)

Bring it by the case, because then you can have a luggage tag put on it. Cans or bottles, but in cases.
They want you to carry it on. Putting luggage tags on cases of wine eventually led them to cancel that privilege. I can see the same thing happening for soda and water.

Wow, that is surprising! I would think they would want to place some controls on this to protect their potential revenues.
I don't think there's a lot of revenue from soda compared to wine.
Are you allowed to bring it into the dining rooms or is it just for consumption in staterooms?
I've never heard of any restrictions on where you can drink it.

You can bring bottles still on HAL, correct? It's not like Carnival where you are limited to cans and bottles of non-alcoholic bevs?

Not sure what you mean? Bottles of wine? yes subject to corkage fee, of course.

Bottles of liquor? no.

Not sure what you mean? Bottles of wine? yes subject to corkage fee, of course.

Bottles of liquor? no.

No, bottles of non-alcoholic beverages as stated in my second sentence; sorry about that! mainly I'm thinking of a six-pack for my sis and I to split. I had kicked the soda habit, but I've seemed to pick it back up since I had my colonoscopy prep and drank lots of ginger ale. Used to be diet Mountain Dew in the old days, but now all I can stomach is regular Coke or Seagram's regular Ginger Ale. I will try to limit myself to a half of a 16 or 20 oz bottle per day at most (preferably less), so I prefer the bottles to cans. At home I only have it 2-3 times per week, but I have good unsweetened tea when I want something more than water, but if HAL tea is anything like Carnival's, I need something else to drink. :D

No, bottles of non-alcoholic beverages as stated in my second sentence; sorry about that! mainly I'm thinking of a six-pack for my sis and I to split. I had kicked the soda habit, but I've seemed to pick it back up since I had my colonoscopy prep and drank lots of ginger ale. Used to be diet Mountain Dew in the old days, but now all I can stomach is regular Coke or Seagram's regular Ginger Ale. I will try to limit myself to a half of a 16 or 20 oz bottle per day at most (preferably less), so I prefer the bottles to cans. At home I only have it 2-3 times per week, but I have good unsweetened tea when I want something more than water, but if HAL tea is anything like Carnival's, I need something else to drink. :D

Sorry, I misunderstood because of bottles in the second sentence. :o

I have brought on 750 ml bottles of water in times gone by. And clamato juice without an issue, so I think you should be fine. Just, remember you need to carry it on. And you don't have to bring it all on embarkation day. You can bring it on in any port as well.

We don't bring much soda on - only what we can't get on board. (As you are doing).

But to be safe,wait and see if someone else replies and "corrects" me. These are only our experiences. Our last one was May, 2017.

Carnival limits soft drinks to cans because people were filling bottles with booze (colored appropriately for the bottle's label). It's more difficult to sneak liquor into a can than a bottle

Yes, I've read all about that. I haven't been on Carnival since the soda monkey hit me again. :D It will be awhile before I'm back on there (saving for Alaska now, and then I have to start saving again for anything else), so hopefully I will have kicked the habit again by then, so no need to worry about bringing drinks then. Heck, I'm really hoping it'll be gone my my Alaska cruise, but I'm just trying to prepare. :D

Wow, that is surprising! I would think they would want to place some controls on this to protect their potential revenues. Are you allowed to bring it into the dining rooms or is it just for consumption in staterooms?

In the stateroom. That's why glassware in staterooms is different than any of the bars or dining venues. Carry one one of those or a can around and you are busted haha. Do they do or even say anything? I wouldn't know having never done it myself.

You can always get free ice tea, I think lemonade, etc for free at the lido drinks stations and carry that around.

Sorry, I misunderstood because of bottles in the second sentence. :o

I have brought on 750 ml bottles of water in times gone by. And clamato juice without an issue, so I think you should be fine. Just, remember you need to carry it on. And you don't have to bring it all on embarkation day. You can bring it on in any port as well.

We don't bring much soda on - only what we can't get on board. (As you are doing).

But to be safe,wait and see if someone else replies and "corrects" me. These are only our experiences. Our last one was May, 2017.

Did you find clamato juice in fort lauderdale? I'd bring that if I found it in a store on way to the port!

Yes, I've read all about that. I haven't been on Carnival since the soda monkey hit me again. :D It will be awhile before I'm back on there (saving for Alaska now, and then I have to start saving again for anything else), so hopefully I will have kicked the habit again by then, so no need to worry about bringing drinks then. Heck, I'm really hoping it'll be gone my my Alaska cruise, but I'm just trying to prepare. :D

HAL does have that beverage package with unlimited sodas. I'm referring to the soda fountain one, where you pay X and get X+Y value. There's that newer quench package too. I am not a huge fan of sodas myself, so I've never gotten them. I just bring some soda cans for in-room mixers and maybe smaller sized bottled water for excursions as the ships only seems to have big bottles.

So you are allowed to bring bottles on HAL but not Carnival? Are they not owned by the same company? I would think they would have similar policies.

Both are owned by the same parent corporation, but they are separate and distinct companies. They each have their own policies, some of which are similar, while others are different.

So you are allowed to bring bottles on HAL but not Carnival? Are they not owned by the same company? I would think they would have similar policies.

I was talking about bottled water, not wine. On my last cruise earlier this year I had no problem checking in a case of 12 cans of tonic water, and a case of 12 bottles of bottled spring waters. Nobody indicated that there was any problem with this at all. I noticed some people above have written not to do this anymore, but it's news to me. It seems odd to hear "don't do it, or they won't let you do it anymore". I tip the guys on the dock extra too.

If I wanted to bring my own wine I could but have to pay the corkage fee per bottle during boarding. Maybe that's why they don't like cases of wine still, as they need to be inspected by the corkage fee collector inside the ship. Anyway, we never go to our stateroom straight away (we have lunch first) so having to carry anything heavy is not going to work for me.

Did you find clamato juice in fort lauderdale? I'd bring that if I found it in a store on way to the port!

I did. right at a Publix IIRC, but it's not the same as the clamato here :( so I also bought some Worsteschire sauce , real clam juice, and used lemons and salt on board. It mostly did the trick ;)

The ship does carry clamato juice most of the time - so in a pinch as long as I have the condiments I can get by but I prefer this ;)

I was talking about bottled water, not wine. On my last cruise earlier this year I had no problem checking in a case of 12 cans of tonic water, and a case of 12 bottles of bottled spring waters. Nobody indicated that there was any problem with this at all. I noticed some people above have written not to do this anymore, but it's news to me. It seems odd to hear "don't do it, or they won't let you do it anymore". I tip the guys on the dock extra too.

If I wanted to bring my own wine I could but have to pay the corkage fee per bottle during boarding. Maybe that's why they don't like cases of wine still, as they need to be inspected by the corkage fee collector inside the ship. Anyway, we never go to our stateroom straight away (we have lunch first) so having to carry anything heavy is not going to work for me.

they will never say NO to you. HAL's staff are too kind.

But, they have posted on their FB page it is carry on only - just as the wine is. The idea is to save work for the stewards. You can pretty much buy water/tonic water at any port so no need to load a case in most cases and cause additional work.

I say this because again, part of the reason the wine policy was changed was the "slap a luggage tag on it" that a lot were doing. FLL was pointed out to be the main culprit.

I carry what I want on. Put it in a caryy on that rolls along with my wine and pay the corkage - no biggie.

I only bring what is not available on the ship as generally speaking their prices for soda are not horrendous and if I have to choose, I will choose clamato, certain type of water and wine. ;)

It seems odd to hear "don't do it, or they won't let you do it anymore".
I meant they could decide to restrict the amount you are allowed to carry on, like with the wine.

I tip the guys on the dock extra too.
Dock guys use carts. They aren't the ones that have to lug the stuff to the cabin by hand.

Which would be better?

buying the Gin & tonic package on ship or just the Gin and pickup tonic at port.

Frankly (and I will probably get flamed for this) the tonic on the ship is not expensive. Pick up a couple of cans if you want but I have no problem buying the mix on board. It's pretty reasonable.

The Gin & tonic package might work out cheaper - I've never done the math on that one.

We get the vodka - guess what we mix it with ;p:hearteyes: