I live in south florida

renza

There is a 3 day Bahama cruise from MIAMI on the Sky on 9/8 and a 7 day CARRIBBEAN on the Escape on the 9th. Just a quick look, but strangely they appear to be priced very similarly even the one is twice as long. We're actually taking the Escape on the 16th.

Looking to book last minute or day before for escape this sat. Want to get out before the storm. Unfortunately looks like no ships will be coming into any port in south Florida sat. I can't get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

~Post deleted~

See post below!

Edited by coolcruiser777

Don't they (USCG in consultation with maritime authorities running port operations) - as a matter of precautions & safety - close the ports to ship traffic ahead of threatening storms, and, send ships out to sea to do donuts or figure 8's to ride things out ??

Pack at least 7 - 10 days of extra medications, all weather gears and clothing and load up the Kindle eBook folders ... Carnival did something out of its Houston runs, just pay port taxes & fees (plus gratitudes) Just make sure that if you drive to & park at/near the cruise terminal, find & use a high story on a multi-story structure to avoid or minimize flood damages. Enjoy the "ride"

Meanwhile, twitter feeds are going bananas. Preparedness and all-hazards planning are key, a reminder to pack one's personal medical/first aid kit & have a good LED flashlight (extended "on-time" with a fully recharged set of batteries) as part of one's Go-Kit with a communications plan.

If you are simply looking to escape, I suggest you book one of the Carnival cruises that departs on Friday. If you want to take a chance, though, the Escape (no pun intended) has extremely low prices for Saturday.

Scrap what I said... the Carnival Sensation departs this Thursday from Miami for a four day cruise to the western Caribbean... but if you want to book you have to do it NOW. I believe it is a law that you cannot book a cruise less than two days in advance... (aka six hours from now)

https://www.carnival.com/itinerary/4-day-western-caribbean-cruise/miami/sensation/4-days/zw0?Military=N&PastGuest=N&Senior=N&evsel=z&numGuests=2&rateCode=&roomType=IS&sailDate=09072017

The Carnival Sensation departs this Thursday from Miami for a four day cruise to the western Caribbean... but if you want to book you have to do it NOW. I believe it is a law that you cannot book a cruise less than two days in advance... (aka six hours from now)

There is no such law. Passenger manifests are submitted to CBP 60 minutes before departure time.

Based on space availability, you can book a Carnival cruise up to 11AM the day of the cruise. You have to call. You can not book it online.

There is no such law. Passenger manifests are submitted to CBP 60 minutes before departure time.

Based on space availability, you can book a Carnival cruise up to 11AM the day of the cruise. You have to call. You can not book it online.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. We tried adding a passenger to a Disney cruise within two days of our sail date and they said it was illegal...

Just another reason why I'm never sailing Disney again.

Is anyone else looking at the low pressure system following Irma?

It could be just a few days behind and right now looks to be following Irma's track. If you can get safely on a cruise I trust NCL to take good care of you. Just wondering what cruises will be able to sail as planned. Latest advisory from NOAA copied below:

1. A broad area of low pressure located several hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for gradual development, and a tropical depression is likely to form within the next few days while the system moves west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph over the tropical Atlantic Ocean. * Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent. * Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

As a Houstonian, I don't blame you. We are on the Escape Saturday and I certainly don't want to fly into Miami and get caught in the storm.

IMO given the timing on the storm, Miami is going to be out of the question on Saturday. There are 8 ships with sailings on the 9th. I'd guess none of them will actually dock on that morning. By that time Miami will be on the outer edges of Irma and by sailing time on the 9th it may be hurricane conditions.

Edited by untailored bostonian

Is anyone else looking at the low pressure system following Irma?

It could be just a few days behind and right now looks to be following Irma's track. If you can get safely on a cruise I trust NCL to take good care of you. Just wondering what cruises will be able to sail as planned. Latest advisory from NOAA copied below:

1. A broad area of low pressure located several hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for gradual development, and a tropical depression is likely to form within the next few days while the system moves west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph over the tropical Atlantic Ocean. * Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent. * Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

Yeah, that is another story. The image I will post at the end is on a dynamic page, so I hope this is a static image. The storm will be either Jose or Katia. [There is a storm that may develope in the Gulf before this one is named. The Gulf storm is expected to stay in the southern/mexico Gulf.]

This is the loctionon the GFS model for Sept 19th. After this location it is forcast to move along the mid-Atlantic coast then into LI and Conn. But this is so far into the future it is only as good as a guess.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_49.png

There is a 3 day Bahama cruise from MIAMI on the Sky on 9/8 and a 7 day CARRIBBEAN on the Escape on the 9th. Just a quick look, but strangely they appear to be priced very similarly even the one is twice as long. We're actually taking the Escape on the 16th.

That 3-day cruise may be a 4-day cruise with all sea days. I doubt the Escape will dock on the 9th.

Is anyone else looking at the low pressure system following Irma?...
Yes - just look at NWS's 23:00 update, and, also the other system down in the Gulf @ 60% over 5 days as a tropical storm, which, should ...

Cat-4 with 140 mph wind and no weakening in the forecast - this is looking bad for the U.S. mainland, based on the GFS or American model. Going to have a look at the Euro forecast model.

Warnings & watches in effect, already starting to see airline "waivers" & alerts being pushed ... can barely keep up with subscribed feeds on Twitter.

Edited by mking8288

You can book up to the day of on some cruises. Not royal, they need 24 hour notice. I may actually fly out Thursday night with my kids. My husband is stuck working, the joys of being a police officer.

I didn't think they allowed you to book more than 3 days out? I hope Irma misses Florida and the rest of us. Stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

You can book as late as noon on the day of departure. You just have to call

IMO given the timing on the storm, Miami is going to be out of the question on Saturday. There are 8 ships with sailings on the 9th. I'd guess none of them will actually dock on that morning. By that time Miami will be on the outer edges of Irma and by sailing time on the 9th it may be hurricane conditions.

I need to revise this as the storm may be moving a bit slower. There may be gale force winds in bands on Saturday with the hurricane winds later on Saturday. The cruise lines might try to get in and out a bit early. The key might be when the airport closes.

If the cruise lines are selling bargain prices and locals can but then, being out to sea might be a good choice. The ship may be only half full. Personally, I'd love to see Irma do its thing.

I feel for many of us, as we often booked & sailed during Hurricane season to take advantage of off-season and lower pricing - hope that everyone has all hazards, emergency preparedness plans in place.

It's now official, Hurricane Jose has been declared ... following Irma by a few days in the Atlantic as a Cat-2 storm, which could turn north into the north Atlantic, missing Bermuda ...

All eyes on Irma, now Cat-5 and 180 mph wind reported - flood damages will not be as bad with 10" of rain forecasted but watch out for tornados. This storm is difficult to forecast even for the experts, even for the Euro model (vs. the AFS or US model used by many) - can't image anyone living in the Gulf Coast states not watching it closely, like others along the East Coast.

Cruise ships are among the safest fully self-contained shelter to ride out the storms, with choppy seas & wind to be expected - NCL ships can really go fast, if they need to - to go around & get out of harm's way.

I feel for many of us, as we often booked & sailed during Hurricane season to take advantage of off-season and lower pricing - hope that everyone has all hazards, emergency preparedness plans in place.

It's now official, Hurricane Jose has been declared ... following Irma by a few days in the Atlantic as a Cat-2 storm, which could turn north into the north Atlantic, missing Bermuda ...

All eyes on Irma, now Cat-5 and 180 mph wind reported - flood damages will not be as bad with 10" of rain forecasted but watch out for tornados. This storm is difficult to forecast even for the experts, even for the Euro model (vs. the AFS or US model used by many) - can't image anyone living in the Gulf Coast states not watching it closely, like others along the East Coast.

I wonder when they will close the airport and the cruise ports. There is a slight chance the cruiselineswill be able to get into port. But those disembarked passengers will be stuck in Miami/FLL for the storm. Not good.

Cruise ships are among the safest fully self-contained shelter to ride out the storms, with choppy seas & wind to be expected - NCL ships can really go fast, if they need to - to go around & get out of harm's way.

Jose is a long way off, but it may be an issue for the Northeast. Most likely a fish storm or Bremuda.

Irma is going to hit FLA. It is on a path like Donna in 1960, and she deepened in the gulf stream around the Keys. A few models take Irma over Key West as the all-time strongest storm in the Atlantic, Gulf, or Carribean. After that it heads up to the Punta Gorda area. The GFS still brings Irma over the Miami area, then along the coast to Charleston SC.

You can book up to the day of on some cruises. Not royal, they need 24 hour notice. I may actually fly out Thursday night with my kids. My husband is stuck working, the joys of being a police officer.

Again, the Carnival Sensation has not cancelled its cruise for Thursday unlike the Saturday cruises.