gratuities for staff on those "extra" days at sea due to Harvey?

Out of Iowa

For those people who had the opportunity to stay on board for several extra days at no cost in order to stay out of Harvey's way before returning to Houston, are they billed the daily gratuities? The staff were counting on that, I'm sure!

I wouldn't likely have cash with me to pay the extra days - but would certainly want our room steward/dining room team/entertainment to have the money so I would hope to have it added to my Sign n Sail (credit card at departure).

Anyone know how it happens?

I was on the Freedom. Carnival covered the additional required gratuities. Guests could supplement as they saw fit, just like normal.

Carnival also opened up the internet and phone lines for free and provided free laundry services. They took very good care of the guests who elected to stay on board through Galveston.

We were on another cruiseline where we were out out running a hurricane for 10 days, never made a port. Asked Captain at dinner last night and he smiled and told us not to worry, that they would be sure they were compensated for the time.

Here on Cruise Critic, posted by chengkp75 I believe. It was within the last month. If that thread is still active I'll go look for that post next time I'm brought back to that thread.

Thanks. I would be interested to read it. Legally, they are required to submit all gratuities collected to the employees on whose behalf they were collected. It is much more likely that the corporation has a reserve on its balance sheet for these situations, which it will draw from for the additional employee compensation (and is likely insured for such a likelihood, as well).

Thanks. I would be interested to read it. Legally, they are required to submit all gratuities collected to the employees on whose behalf they were collected.
That's what I thought at that time, but actually the scheme doesn't violate the rules you're referring to. As long as that fund is held separate from revenues, as long as the fund operates in accordance with the crew contract, and as long as all the money eventually goes to crew and none to the enterprise, then the requirements are apparently satisfied.

And this resonates with what we've often heard rumbling under the table, i.e., the complaints that not all the money collected as gratuities gets to the crew. Given that scheme, it sure can look that way, if you're not factoring in the money is set aside for when the gratuities for a specific cruise is short.

Anyway, I found the post I was remembering:

HAL is one of the few cruise lines that plays a few games with the money received as "service charges, tips, etc. Every cruise, on every HAL ship, around 10% of the tip pool is skimmed off by the cruise line. Part of this money is used to pay credit charges for the banks. The remainder goes into an additional pool to cover any cruise on any HAL ship where a large number of pax remove tips. This happens when: there is a Norwalk outbreak, or when there is a large number of Aussies or Brits onboard.
I'm not sure how reliable this is, and not sure whether it applies to Carnival as well (it probably would, given that they're both CCL brands), but it makes sense. If there is a legal way for a cruise line to protect themselves from having to kick in some money for staff gratuities, then you can bet that they'll use it.

So if it was a 7 day cruise and turned into an 8 or 10 day do the passengers get credit for those "extra" days? Like going from Gold to Platinum?
Are they paying cruise fare for those days?

So if it was a 7 day cruise and turned into an 8 or 10 day do the passengers get credit for those "extra" days? Like going from Gold to Platinum?

According to passengers that were circling the gulf last week, yes, they received credit for all days sailed (not paid).