Wearing surgical masks when others start coughing on tours

compozer

Why should someone be embarrassed just because they're coughing?

I wouldn't think someone should be embarrassed to cough, but again, we all have germs, so covering your mouth, turning your head when you cough is a courtesy. Germs are germs. I have two adult children who have had stem cell transplants, because of cancer, and germs are their enemies. So while you may not have a cold, etc, when a person coughs they are spewing gems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why should someone be embarrassed just because they're coughing?

They should feel embarrassed if they refuse to wear a mask when they're hacking in a closed place like a bus and are asked by someone to put on a mask that is handed to them, but they refuse. Maybe the word should be ashamed?

Seems hard for many to grasp. I have a cough that sounds like I'm going to die, but totally non infectious and non contagious. Sure I still cover my mouth, still turn my head but the reaction from some people you'd think you were going to kill them.

Sounds like me --no fun at all.

Seems hard for many to grasp. I have a cough that sounds like I'm going to die, but totally non infectious and non contagious. Sure I still cover my mouth, still turn my head but the reaction from some people you'd think you were going to kill them.

Exactly! Thank you.

I suggest you hand one of your masks to a coughing person and say, loudly enough for others around you to hear, "please put this on while you're in the bus so that the rest of do not get sick too." Then hand it to them. Hopefully they'll feel too embarrassed to not put it on.

When I'm on a ship, I try not to touch ANYTHING in public areas. Especially stair rails, rails and buttons in elevators (push the button with your knuckle), countertops, etc. And carry sanitizer around to use periodically. I'm a nurse in a hospital so I'm keenly aware of avoiding germs or I'd be sick all the time.

Really? The person coughing should be embarrassed to NOT put it on? I think the person handing out the masks should be the embarrassed one.

Do you not believe there are people who can have a cough that is not infectious/contagious? Believe me, there are.

No, we're not. I've been in the operating room for nearly 30 years. If we had to change masks every 20 minutes, we'd never get anything done. And floor/unit/ER nurses don't change theirs in the middle of a procedure either. Can you imagine? "sorry we're in the middle of this crashing trauma patient, but it's been 20 minutes and I am required to change my mask."

I have a chronic noncontagious/noninfectious lung condition. I cough all the time. So does my FIL with severe COPD. Just because you cough doesn't mean you're contagious.

Doesnt mean they do... but the mask "should" be changed when it gets wet because it loses it protective properties. Look it up. And I understand all to well (having a child who has had 54 surgeries) not stopping in the middle of a surgery to change your gear, but if your mask or hands are contaminated, you betcha I don't want you contaminating him with your coughing germs! Even if you aren contagious, you still have germs coming out of your mouth when you cough. The last thing his crappy lungs need is something else to have to battle. Maybe we are a little over the top, but my son is still alive thanks to our care, and I wouldnt have it any other way. He already uses AVAPS/Bipap and O2 at night and days when he is under the weather, and has for most of his life, trying to avoid a tracheostomy and ventilator.

I am honestly not trying to pick on you, or anyone else. I am simply trying to help those out there to try to understand why there are "some" of us out here who do freak a bit when we hear the coughing and hacking of people who are not contagious. For us, it is a huge big deal for our loved family members, and could potentially put them in the hospital or ICU or worse if they get sick. And our families should be able to take vacations too... we are all about quality of life for our family, he was never supposed to live this long (21 in January), and we want him to have as many experiences as he can WHILE he can. We have no way of knowing that your coughing and hacking aren't going to make our family member sick... not when there are so many out there who DO come on cruises or go on vacation who are thoughtless about others and show up sick because their needs come first. I would never take my son (or myself) out if he were going to make someone else sick... wouldnt happen. Because that is the kind of people we are. I know we can't expect the same from others, so we have to be vigilant for his safety and well being.

Blessings to you all on your cruising adventures, I am bowing out from this discussion.

Although I understand your concern, I would just like to say not everyone with a hacking cough is contagious. Some have lung problems. Or others have allergies. My mom used to have a cough for years that turned out to be a combination of allergies and a side effect from medicine. We'd go out to eat, and she'd start coughing (often sounded like she was choking she'd cough so hard), and people would stare at me like why wasn't I helping her. But I was so used to it, that I ignored it most of the time.

I know there are times when people are coughing because they are sick, but there are also times when they are not.

That said, I definitely think being proactive in our own health is a good idea. Masks might be one way, avoiding crowds, antibacterial lotions, washing hands, anything that helps a person stay well. It is an individual decision though.

I agree. Not everyone that coughs is sick. I have a lingering cough that lasts for months after I am sick. I am not contagious, I feel just fine, but I cough. Often in the mornings when I first drink water or when I first eat I start coughing. Cause: a blockage. I am not sick, you can't catch it.

Bottom line: you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Hubby was recovering from cancer. I MADE HIM WEAR THE MASK. He was so Pllllll.....D at me. Docs said he needed to do this. Did we need to have this fight? Part of life. People need to do what they have to do. Yes, people looked at us like we has some disease. That's OK for me...keep far away!!): He was healthy....just saying.

They should feel embarrassed if they refuse to wear a mask when they're hacking in a closed place like a bus and are asked by someone to put on a mask that is handed to them, but they refuse. Maybe the word should be ashamed?

I would think one must get used to being told to go pound sand, at least that would be my reply if one handed me a mask after I coughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surgical masks are only good for droplets. You will need an N95 mask to be effective against airborne particles. Proper fitting of an N95 mask is a must in order to be effective.
This.

I am a Respiratory Therapist and I can tell you that a surgical mask only serves to protect others from you. Not the other way around. Airborne microbes will not be stopped by a surgical mask. Your best defense against colds, flu and norovirus is excellent hand washing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But if you're sick or have a cough, then the alternative to a hot mask is to stay in your room. Unfortunately, Stewart might get sick.

You can have a cough without being in any way sick.

But that seems too hard for many to grasp.

I suggest you hand one of your masks to a coughing person and say, loudly enough for others around you to hear, "please put this on while you're in the bus so that the rest of do not get sick too." Then hand it to them. Hopefully they'll feel too embarrassed to not put it on.

When I'm on a ship, I try not to touch ANYTHING in public areas. Especially stair rails, rails and buttons in elevators (push the button with your knuckle), countertops, etc. And carry sanitizer around to use periodically. I'm a nurse in a hospital so I'm keenly aware of avoiding germs or I'd be sick all the time.

I agree 100% and probably wouldn't have the courage to do it myself but maybe if I was in the right mood I would. I am a germ freak and also try not to touch much and am always washing my hands everywhere. I wait all year for one cruise and I would hate to be sick on my cruise. I can't stand to hear coughing for a long time in a public place and the person doesn't have enough respect to others to leave. I like this post and agree it is a problem.

Last week on the Crown Princess we got the dreaded letter from medical services that something was going around. When it came time for captain's club party, I was amazed that the captain insisted on shaking the hands of every single of the 800 people attending. I kept my hands behind my back and tried a polite little bow, but he insisted. Weird. Celebrity officers don't shake hands anymore, either keeping them behind their backs, or doing knuckle bumps. Booth are fine with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk