Alaska Tips wanted 😊

Just completed Bermuda cruise a week ago and now planning an Alaskan cruise for August 2018! We're looking at cruise from Vancouver to Seward on board Radiance of the Seas. Wish we booked on board but we were still debating a few things. Any excursion, room or transfer tips are welcomed !!

Returned last week and would well recommend. We did north bound and had a starboard side room which was amazing. Ask away

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's exactly what we're looking at doing! Do you have any recommendations about transfer from Seward to Anchorage? RC mentioned how they could book us on the "bubble train" which I think is the same as a train I read on Alaska Trains, but their "Gold express." I'm not sure. I t was recommended to do a train rather than a bus for the view. What did you do? Any excursions you'd recommend? I was going to use a travel agent, but I don't see that she's really getting any better pricing or perks than I'm getting on my own. Did you use travel agent? Ok, I think I've already over stepped my questions for this post lol :) Thanks for offering your expertise! :) I'm just excited. Turning the big 5-0 next year...ugh! ...and this is how Im celebrating!

Go on a sled dog excursion (they train with pull behind carts without the snow)-- pet some little husky puppies! Bring camera, several batteries and a good size memory card.... the scenery is magnificent.

Currently on Explorer of the seas. Wouldn't recommend this ship to Alaska. Too big. Too many people. Not enjoy viewing area. Pool deck way to cold to stay out. Radiance ship is way better with the indoor solarium and vast majority of windows facing outwards. Something's bigger isn't always better.

That's exactly what we're looking at doing! Do you have any recommendations about transfer from Seward to Anchorage? RC mentioned how they could book us on the "bubble train" which I think is the same as a train I read on Alaska Trains, but their "Gold express." I'm not sure. I t was recommended to do a train rather than a bus for the view. What did you do? Any excursions you'd recommend? I was going to use a travel agent, but I don't see that she's really getting any better pricing or perks than I'm getting on my own. Did you use travel agent? Ok, I think I've already over stepped my questions for this post lol :) Thanks for offering your expertise! :) I'm just excited. Turning the big 5-0 next year...ugh! ...and this is how Im celebrating!

We got the 6pm glass dome train ( gold star) which we booked via the train company website- I would highly recommend the journey

All other excursions apart from a wildlife cruise in Seward we booked via RCI

All excursions were fantastic as too the whole trip-

To make your birthday extra special, investigate the Rocky Mountaineer. You can add on an incredible rail journey to a cruise. There are specialty Alaska cruise travel agents that may be of great assistance and information in addition to cruise critic.

https://www.rockymountaineer.com/

(Try and REALLY treat yourself and get GOLD LEAF service!)

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Since we're spending the night before we fly home, in Anchorage, we are going to do a day long bus tour from Seward to Anchorage. We will book directly with the bus tour company...

Just completed Bermuda cruise a week ago and now planning an Alaskan cruise for August 2018! We're looking at cruise from Vancouver to Seward on board Radiance of the Seas. Wish we booked on board but we were still debating a few things. Any excursion, room or transfer tips are welcomed !!

You may want to also post this under the Alaska board - it is a wealth of information on that board about Alaska.

The train ride is great. Ours had to stop for a moose on the tracks. The train crew was really great and recorded the moose for us. If you have a little extra time, Anchorage is fun to visit. The native cultural center is worth the trip. If you have a little more time, a day or overnight trip to Barrow is fun. We got off the plane on July 31 and were greeted with snow. When we were there, the wind was blowing in an unusual direction and the pack ice was blown into the beach on the Arctic Ocean. That was an unforgettable sight.

1. For August, schedule any & all excursions in the afternoon to allow the fog to 'burn' off etc.

2. Juneau...book Harv & Mark for whale watching.

3. Ketchikan... book Island Wings.

^^^^ Both are top rated guide services and will book up fast ^^^^

4. The Inside Passage is really nice. Once you determine the timeframe of when the cruises through, make plans to take in it's beauty. You should be able to spot Orca.

5. Have a Duck Fart at the Red Dog Saloon.

6. If you take the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Anchorage, get the Gold Star Service. Well worth it.

7. We stayed at the Harbor 360 in Seward. Great location. It books fast.

I went Salmon fishing in Icy Straight Point. It was wonderful caught plenty of fish and saw 6 Brown bear walk by us just across the stream (about 20 yards) If you need info on the guide service let me know.

Have a great cruise!

Just as others here have recommended. You want to take the train and go Gold Star. If one, or both of you are veterns, then there may be a discount. Book early as it will fill quickly. There is a free shuttle that will take you around Seward. However, I was told that you can get just about anywhere in town by taxi for $5.

IMO, anyone going by bus instead of the train from Seward to Anchorage or visa versa, is missing maybe the best part of the trip.

I did the highway route in our motor home the year before, and the train ride is much more scenic.

The train doesn't leave until 6pm. What if you don't want to do anything in Seward and you just want to get to Anchorage or Denali? Seems silly to just wait around for 13 hours.

IMO, anyone going by bus instead of the train from Seward to Anchorage or visa versa, is missing maybe the best part of the trip.

I did the highway route in our motor home the year before, and the train ride is much more scenic.

The train doesn't leave till 6pm, but the bus leaves in the morning... is it really worth it to hang out in Seward for 10 hours, to take the train? I'm seriously curious- we will be doing a NB Alaska, next June....

Second taking the train and Gold Star service. It's something that everyone should experience. Hanging out in Seward isn't all that bad. Very nice aquarium, the library has free wi-fi as do some of the coffee shops. There's a nice park along the water if the weather's good. I enjoyed it.

The train doesn't leave till 6pm, but the bus leaves in the morning... is it really worth it to hang out in Seward for 10 hours, to take the train? I'm seriously curious- we will be doing a NB Alaska, next June....

I believe the train runs twice but not certain as we left Anchorage at noon and reached Seward at 6:00.

We're looking at cruise from Vancouver to Seward on board Radiance of the Seas. Any excursion, room or transfer tips are welcomed !!

We just did this cruise at the beginning of June this year. My full review with pictures, transfers, and excursions is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53316094

As for spending time in Seward - we had a good time there. We leisurely woke up and had breakfast before getting off the ship, we then booked a van to take us up to Exit Glacier and walked around (we are moderate hikers in our late 30s / early 40s and two hours was just the right amount of time. If you walk slower, go for three hours). Our van then picked us back up and took us to the 'downtown' area where we grabbed lunch and wandered through some shops. We did walk by the Sea Life Center and would have gone in except by the time we got there, we didn't think the ticket price was worth only the two hours we had left before the train.

Feel free to ask any questions - I still like re-living the trip in my head.

Edited by Rewind

We highly recommend Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau. It was one of our favorite excursions and they stop at a glacier on the bus ride back to the ship. Alaska is our favorite cruise we have been there twice. :)