Seabourn Encore - The Retreat

cruising kirby

This is a quote from Sea Trade News titled Sexy curves accentuate Adam Tihany's Seabourn Encore design: "Tihany's fondest of a new space, The Retreat, nestled high on Deck 12, in what's a seldom-used AstroTurf sports area on the earlier ships. It's ringed by 15 cabanas (that go for $349 on sea days and $249 in port) and partially shaded by canvas sails."

The reality is that the Seabourn of today and the future is far from the Seabourn of the past when the triplets were owned. Seabourn, in a relatively short timeframe, has gone from 636 beds per night (triplets) to 1350 beds (Ody ships) to 2550 beds with the addition of Encore and Ovation. As a result, Seabourn is now targeting to more of a mass market audience to fill those beds. This new demographic is not the old school "putting greens and shuffleboard crowd" as we unfortunately experienced on our recent Odyssey cruise (with of course a few exceptions so that I do not offend anyone [emoji846]). This new demographic are easily impressed by the concept of a "private retreat" whether they use/pay for it or not. It's part of the new marketing for Seabourn and I assume they now need to do this to fill those 2550 beds per night. This new demographic are not of the mind that many of us are...being that all are equal once on board Seabourn.

Ps, it took Seabourn years to get rid of the old retreat concept (currently known as the penthouse spa suites), so I would not expect change any time soon. Actually I would guess that if the retreat is ever shut down on Encore/Ovation it will be replaced by high end suites just as they did with the Penthouse Spa suites on the other ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please forgive me but I don't understand the reference to the Spa Suites.

They are special, extremely spacious and desirable with their large balconies and remain, as such, part of the ships' inventories. So how are they being phased out?

Happy and healthy sailing!

How crowded is the Encore pool area on a sea day?

I have been on all the Odyssey class ships, and now the Encore. The pool area gets very busy on all ships most warm/hot seas days in my experience. The Encore was no different. However on the one sea day on this itinerary, there was generally a number of deck chairs free on the main deck during the busiest period of the day, and after 3.00pm, there was a good selection. Deck 5 aft (spas and pool) and deck 7 forward (spa) also had space during the day. People are moving in and out of the chairs all day and there is good turnover. I also noticed the deck attendants taking towels off chairs if they were unattended for any length of time. There is no need to pay for the Retreat just to get a deck chair.

Please forgive me but I don't understand the reference to the Spa Suites.

They are special, extremely spacious and desirable with their large balconies and remain, as such, part of the ships' inventories. So how are they being phased out?

Markham, I was referring to the former Spa Villa Cabanas on the Ody ships. This is what previously occupied the space on deck 9 where the Penthouse Spa suites currently are. I was not criticizing these suites nor did I say they were phasing out those suites. My point was that the former Spa Cabanas on deck 9 were replaced with revenue generating suites and if the Retreat on the Encore was closed, Seabourn may chose to replace that space with something that generates revenue (like new suites) just as they did with the former deck 9 Ody Spa Cabanas.

Thanks for your review Cruising Kirby. Has confirmed our thoughts (we haven't done Encore yet) and has also confirmed our feedback to Seabourn when originally surveyed about the "possibility of introducing" a separate area (when the survey was merely for marketing purposes rather than a "should we provide this feature"). We thought the survey disingenuous and hope the leviathon organisation that is Seabourn's parent will stop trying to homogenise the product with its other lines and offerings. The reason we like Seabourn is its point of difference, which seems to be slowly fading away. If the company's "visionaries" fail to note these issues (don't mention the laundry!) hopefully the bean counters will release the space for all passengers to use.

I couldn't think of anything worse than being trapped in a space like that on a really hot day!

Posted 12 hours ago by Seabourn on Facebook,

Seabourn Encore Features Wealth of New Luxuries

Seabourn President Richard Meadows on the distinguishing features of the luxury line's new ship.

VACATION AGENT CRUISE LINE & CRUISE SHIP THERESA NORTON

"One of the new features is The Retreat, a for-fee sanctuary with private cabanas. Do your guests resist the extra fee on an otherwise all-inclusive luxury ship?

While there are some guests who have asked questions about what is included and asked about features of the new Seabourn’s first sushi restaurant space, there have been many who have experienced The Retreat.

The response has been very positive, and The Retreat is being embraced by more and more of our guests to the point that we believe it will be one of the most coveted outdoor venues on board.

Located on Deck 12, The Retreat has 15 private cabanas designed as individual luxury living rooms, with a whirlpool in the center of the space. Each cabana features a large HD flat-screen television and a refrigerator stocked with a personalized selection of beverages. Amenities include fresh fruit baskets, premium sun lotions, Evian mist spray, plush towels and bathrobes.

A dedicated Retreat Concierge is available to respond to guest requests. There’s a spa treatment cabana and 30 comfortable sun loungers. We also offer a selection of bites from a specially designed menu.

The cabanas are available for rent for $249 per couple, per port day, and $349 per couple, per day at sea."

Rest of article here:-

http://www.travelpulse.com/articles/cruise/seabourn-encore-features-wealth-of-new-luxuries.html?utm_content=59975331&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Over to you Steve M ;)

That would be funny if it were at all true. But it's not. Not busy and certainly/plainly/obviously not "coveted", a word that should raise eyebrows anyway.

You have to wonder to what lengths senior management will go in their efforts to sell this flawed and failing concept- assuming, that is,

that they have real facts as opposed to those famous "alternative facts".

Let those who read this stuff and then chose to believe it see the Retreat for themselves. On any day, on any Encore cruise. That should do it.

How funny,

Seems like others are getting on the "Fake News" bandwagon.

I bet the dedicated Retreat Concierge is the loneliest and most underused resource in History.

Ok what about building a water slide up there like a few other ships [emoji14]

Well they are certainly slow learners. 'Plush Bathrobes', 'large flat screen HD TV. ' refrigerator stocked with a personalised selection of beverages' - thats funny, it sounds just like my veranda suite the last time I sailed Seabourn. If it wasn't amusing, I could be mildly offended by the patronising tone - does Mr. Meadows imagine that the average Seabourn guest is going to find this exciting - or has never experienced these things before?

Sunprince is so right - sadly, Seabourn is not what it was and Carnival seem keen to continue spoiling what was once a truly winning formula.

I agree that the tone is patronising and that's what allows Seabourn management to deploy words such as "coveted" when they suggest that there is lots of demand for this "sanctuary", derided by many as a waste of deck space and money.

If you wanted to "level" with the public why not state that this is a trial effort for something different (gentle sell) or admit that since the main pool and deck area is too small for the numbers of Encore passengers versus the standard set by the Ody class ships you may want to retreat to the Retreat for $350 a shot (not much of a sell at all). Worst case message: you're spending a minimum of $900 per day per couple for the cruise so what's the big deal about another $350 to retreat from everyone else on board?

Now I may be wrong that this Retreat makes a mockery of the old Seabourn brand- the image of space, luxury and an all-inclusive class-free cruise vacation package. But I doubt it and I have spoken with lots of Seabourn veterans, some of whom, like me, are Diamond Elite club members. Who cares? Well, I do, and if we wanted to be taken for Holland America or Carnival passengers we would head over there where we can sign up for all kinds of "premium" this and "exclusive" that and coexist with a couple of thousand other punters in a passenger:space ratio that's a fraction of what you find on Seabourn and its direct competitors. And pretend we are on a 5 star cruise line but with a fraction of Seabourn's daily cost.

Lesson: Do treasure and enhance your brand. Do tell the truth. Don't use a patronising tone or content. Always add value. Promise one thing, deliver it and more. Admit when you have made a mistake and deliver adjustments as a means of remedying the situation. Simple as that.

After our Encore cruise I made reference to "the Carnival influence" and how it increasingly impacts the demographics, the Seabourn brand in general and the Retreat in particular and was howled down. I based my comments on actual experience/observation rather than believing marketing puffery or wearing cheerleader goggles. Six months on, more people have had a chance to see for themselves and I feel somewhat vindicated.

I'm all for new ideas and innovation if they represent added value or an enhanced product, but the Retreat adds nothing and Seabourn ignores constructive criticism/feedback from loyal customers at its peril. It will be interesting to see if this insidious dilution of a brand they have taken so much effort to develop is creeping over to the rest of the fleet. We are on the Odyssey transatlantic next month so let's see.

I

Lesson: Do treasure and enhance your brand. Do tell the truth. Don't use a patronising tone or content. Always add value. Promise one thing, deliver it and more. Admit when you have made a mistake and deliver adjustments as a means of remedying the situation. Simple as that.

Very well said!

I just came across this announcement from Silversea regarding their planned new ship Silver Moon. The ship, due in 2020, follows the design of the newish Silver Muse which apparently had some issues that passengers asked be addressed. The article below covers what specific changes are being made for Silver Moon and adds information about environmental protection matters. Both topics are interesting. Smart move!

I wish Seabourn would do the same thing regarding Ovation, due out in May, 2018, given past passenger feedback regarding Encore. That would attract attention, too.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8064

Edited by markham

I just came across this announcement from Silversea regarding their planned new ship Silver Moon. The ship, due in 2020, follows the design of the newish Silver Muse which apparently had some issues that passengers asked be addressed. The article below covers what specific changes are being made for Silver Moon and adds information about environmental protection matters. Both topics are interesting. Smart move!

I wish Seabourn would do the same thing regarding Ovation, due out in May, 2018, given past passenger feedback regarding Encore. That would attract attention, too.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8064

Completely agree. See my post #12 on tis thread.

Yes, Wripro, your post 12 is where I first learned about Silversea's intention to deploy their passengers comments into their Silver Muse updates and adjustments and what it means for the new Silver Moon.

And I have to agree that a transfer is in order for whoever came up with the Retreat concept. What a waste of space! And if that person is responsible for the recent piece promoting it with words such as "coveted" And "embraced" and was also responsible for the maiden voyage launch party in Singapore of the Encore, well, I may have a different suggestion for his or her transfer.

Too much!

I don't see Seabourn getting rid of The Retreat in the short term.

More likely they will reduce the price to make it more attractive, and/or offer it as a benefit to Diamond Elite cruisers, and/or make it a benefit for those paying full price for a Penthouse/Owners/Wintergarden suite.

There are lots of alternatives to making it a little used shuffleboard or putting area.

Mr Luxury, you have tickled my funny bone. And that is not easy to do. :)

Markham, you have, from the start, been entirely damning of the Retreat and its financial concept. I'm just back from my first (and possibly my last) Encore cruise. I've now experienced for myself the cramped feel of the almost all of the open deck areas and the lack of a walking track or top deck "sports" area. I can only agree with every word you have said about it. More power to your elbow in trying to make Seabourn accept the obvious. And let's hope Seabourn spare you the horrors of such a Diamond Elite benefits quandary :)

auldlassie and Mr Luxury,

Yes, this "Retreat" has delivered a lot of material to mock since the maiden voyage and it all started when regular passengers were barred from taking the stairs up from the pool deck 12 where the thing is installed, thereby reducing further space for recreational walking. "What a cheek?" was my initial thought after I got over the nasty surprise that this move was deliberate and not simply for a day's maintenance purposes.

Anyway, we have our next 4 Seabourn cruises on Quest, Sojourn, Odyssey and Sojourn through June, 2019. No encore for Encore and no maiden on Ovation either/thereafter on the cards. So no tempting invites for me as a Diamond Elite, disgruntled-premium suite-"c'mon try it out", or other possibilities for me. And no creative excuses as to why I would have to decline with rather insincere regrets.

In my opinion, and as I have offered before in various threads, the Encore, silly Retreat and all, is better suited for:

1- Short and port intensive cruises. The original lack of a passenger laundry option and ongoing limited availability of usable outdoor deck space made worse by the Retreat is one reason. Add to that the Grand Salon and MDR which are similar in size to what is found on the Odyssey class ships. They cannot accommodate the additional 150 passengers which means that passengers and crew must make compromises e.g. no captain's welcome party, having to choose showtimes to attend, and having to bypass the MDR if it's already too busy. Then there is the Club, a small, boring and sad venue;

2- Related to the above, people who simply don't know about the standards set by the Ody class ships and/or find other offsets in some other aspects of Encore. Some of these may be the larger and beautiful Thomas Keller restaurant and lovely Observation Bar and the new Sushi restaurant which we enjoyed tremendously; and

3- People who may just prefer the buzz of a larger ship than an Ody class ship. We did understand that Encore was larger by a few meters in length and width but we did not know how the ship, with only one additional deck, would "flow" for us and the additional 150 passengers on board. And when we learned that the ship is roughly the same overall height we understood why certain decks' ceilings were lower. Never mind- at the start. We liked the larger suite TV and suite lighting options, the closet not so much (less hanging space), and the suite's veranda deck composite flooring (not teak as on Ody) not at all.

Then there was the then-new restriction on deck 12 access for "regular" passengers. Which started this ball rolliing...

I hope that Seabourn management will do their best through refits to make better use of Encore's deck plan and that of the Ovation. There have several opportunities to do so. Doing something sensible with the space now lost on the Retreat is obviously one of them.