Star Princess - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers Trip Report

merlot1024

Final Thoughts:

I see people on this board frequently telling people not to go to Alaska in September because the weather will be iffy. I have friends that went last September and had great weather, I had friends that went in June and July this year, they had the same weather we had only a bit warmer. You take your chances in Alaska. We had rain and beautiful warm sunny days. But the upside is we saw the Northern Lights and we saw the fall colors. We also got to go to John Hopkins Glacier which you can't do prior to September. I would not have traded that for anything - it was a highlight of the trip.

Do the inside passage as much as you can. Pick an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay, not all do. It's worth it!

If you can, add the land tour on. It really added to the experience. We loved going to Denali National Park, seeing the tundra, the dream of seeing the mountain, and the train ride. It was magnificent!

If you are in Canada - have a Wonderbar, it's delicious.

Captain Tuvo really added to our experience. He was fantastic. He announced the Northern Lights, he announced when he saw wildlife such as whales breaching, he made funny announcements that showed he loves his job, he took us where some Captains won't go, he played music over the PA system just for the fun of it. He was fabulous! We often saw him up on deck walking around and visiting with passengers. I have never seen a Captain out and about so much. :)

We saw - squirrels, caribou, eagles, 1 bear, humpback whales, a porcupine, and an orca. What a treat!

If you are thinking about an Alaskan cruise- stop thinking and go! This is one of the best trips we have ever taken.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Everyone on here was so helpful and I am happy if I can return the favor in helping you plan a trip.

Excellent review. Good words. We are doing the same trip next June so enjoy your experience. Been there before but enjoy hearing what other people have seen. I look to see if you have posted something new every day.

It looks like you got on the Star the day we got OFF. I"m writing a review of our trip too...and enjoyed reading through yours to see how your trip compared and differed from ours.

Isn't Capt Tuvo just a HOOT!!!!??? :D

I guess the rock slide happened after we left because we didn't have any troubles with Skagway...Haines is on my "To Do" list though...

Glad you had a great cruise and looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews...I've only made it to the Skagway stop so far...and have to leave the computor now...just wanted to say 'Hi" first...

I am glad you wrote a review. I am off to go read it. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

We did enjoy Captain Tuvo, every cruise should be so lucky!

Excellent review. Good words. We are doing the same trip next June so enjoy your experience. Been there before but enjoy hearing what other people have seen. I look to see if you have posted something new every day.

Thank you. I will look forward to your review next June. You're really going to love this trip.

Thanks for coming back and finishing the review. Sorry for being impatient ��

I will be doing this cruise in September 2018. I hope we get Captain Tuvo!!!

I hope Captain Tuvo will be on your sailing. He was going home after our sailing and I don't know where he will be next.

Thanks for your wonderful review ! We LOVED our cruise to Alaska. There's so much to see, and it's all FABULOUS.

We went the first week of Sept., when everyone warned us that it would be raining. But, we had 4 days of lovely sunny weather in the 70's, then 3 days of overcast weather in the high 50's. We didn't mind, however, as we were so tired of the 100 degree heat in California. :D - EBC