Questions about picking a TA (NO NAMES)

SRF

I have previously booked directly through the cruise line (RCCL if it matters). And actually have 2 more cruises booked. But reading here, have heard some great deals, perks, and service from using a TA, so thinking of transferring the bookings to a TA.

So how to you choose one?

Big office or small?

Just based on price/perks?

Any thing specific to look at?

Since I have the cruises booked, their price offers are not significant, unless they were much less, which they are not. But the perks range from $400 OBC to $975 OBC. Or around $400 + free gratuities.

Thanks.

I chose my new TA by asking people on a cruise who they would suggest and why.

One important thing for me to know is if the TA charges for changes and/or cancellations.

Another thing is how much the TA knows about the cruise lines. Some specialize more in cruising than any other types of travel.

I also want a TA who is part of a company rather than working for themselves. There needs to be someone who can help you if your TA is sick, on vacation, etc.

Since I have the cruises booked, their price offers are not significant, unless they were much less, which they are not. But the perks range from $400 OBC to $975 OBC. Or around $400 + free gratuities.

Thanks.

I look at $975 as significant. I would pick the travel agent with the best price, assuming I can live with their terms and conditions, BBB rating, and online reputation. I would then make sure all credit card charges are made by the cruise line, not the agency.

As I have cruised more and gotten more experience my needs have changed.

I chose a TA by asking people who I respect for recommendations.

Treat it like you would selecting a dentist, physician, lawyer, real estate agent. Get recommendations and speak with them.

Several things were important to me:

Experience

Treating me as a person not a number

Being knowledgeable of the cruise lines we sail both in terms of having sailed them and knowing how to get things done for us with the cruise line. In short, being able to cut through red tape.

Being responsive and following up on items.

Knowing how to optimize our bookings so we realize the most savings possible.

I also wanted an agent who has a support team so if they are not in the office that someone would followup on any and all items.

Keith

You still keep all the perks you received when booking on boad, but usually receive additional on board credit from your TA when you transfer the bookng to them. As that OBC is refundable, that's as good as a further discount. Personal recommendation is the best referral. Remember you have a time limit to transfer a booking though.

I have booked our last few cruises through some big internet travel agencies. I know what I want, so I get quotes through a site that lets agencies compete. I liked the last travel agent--the one we booked last month's cruise through--so I'm likely to go directly to him for our next one.

Price and benefits are only part of the equation. I would ask the following questions:

• Can I reach someone nights or weekends in case of a price drop or emergency?
  • Does this agent do a lot of cruise business on this cruise line? This makes a difference when cutting through "red tape" and offering additional benefits.
  • If my agent is unavailable, is there someone else to take my call?
  • Does my agent offer additional amenities such as travel insurance, shore excursions, etc.?
  • How knowledgeable is my agent about this cruise line?
  • Does the agent charge a fee for price drops or changes?
  • Has my agent "been there" before?
  • Does my agent care about me and my experience?
  • Is the agent realistic about promises and managing expectations?
  • Did the agent ask questions to help determine what would be the best fit for me?