cruising the med in late fall

matamanoa

My husband and I are trying to decide between two Princess cruises which would take us to the Eastern Med (from Venice to the greek isles and croatia) in either Oct. or late Nov. We would like to hear from any cruisers who have done this type of itinterary in regards to the weather conditions that we might encounter. We are looking to avoid the summer crowds and heat and from what I have researched so far, I understand that the late fall is heading into rainy season in these areas. Could you give us any advice or insight into cruising the Med in late fall.

Thanks in advance,

Barb

The Eastern Med has warm/hot, dry temperatures in October. I've cruised the Eastern Med several times at about that time and it was warm. Don't know about November as few cruise lines have ships in the Med then and most tourist towns are like ghost towns. Santorini, for instance.

My husband and I are trying to decide between two Princess cruises which would take us to the Eastern Med (from Venice to the greek isles and croatia) in either Oct. or late Nov. We would like to hear from any cruisers who have done this type of itinterary in regards to the weather conditions that we might encounter. We are looking to avoid the summer crowds and heat and from what I have researched so far, I understand that the late fall is heading into rainy season in these areas. Could you give us any advice or insight into cruising the Med in late fall.

We have sailed in that area at the end of October, start of November and it was wonderful. We experienced an "aqua alta" in Venice during the first week of November - an amazing thing to see and it didn't slow us down at all. We had some rainy, windy weather in Corfu, but for the most part, days were very comfortable and sunny. We flew home from Milan mid November and it was snowing lightly. I know that isn't one of your destinations, but just to say that northern Italy can get a little chilly for sure.

We did several eastern Med cruises last fall in the Pacific Princess. Our weather was largely rainy and cold from the first week in October on, but surprisingly improved a bit in late November. Rome was muggy and warm-ish in late October.

I made several comments about the weather (and the layers of clothes we wore) in my blog, starting with this post:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2016/10/day-1-venice_40.html

I've made two different b2b cruises to the med in Nov into Dec,

One year the weather was warm and nice, Second time cooler and

some rain.

You never know what the weather will be. Just go when you want. Take

a coat, umbrella in case needed.

(your right about summer went on b2b 2016 to med in June into July.. HOT)

We did a Med cruise on October 30, many years ago. It was hot, but not uncomfortably so. Summer clothes with sweaters for evening work well. Remember, shorts are not cool for visiting historic churches, or in Muslim countries like Turkey. Loved Dubrovnik!

It was raining most days when we were in Barcelona last October. But we are going to Italy this October and back to Barcelona for a TA anyway! We had a great time and didn't melt in the rain. As stated, take a travel umbrella and a rain poncho that folds small for your backpack or purse. I get the disposable kind at the dollar store and then throw them away before our flight home if opened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks to all who replied with informative weather reports. Pam, you mentioned that Santorini was very quiet during the late fall. Do shops and restaurants close down due to few visitors or can you visit the tourist sites, eat and shop as readily as you can during the height of tourist season?

Barb

Thanks to all who replied with informative weather reports. Pam, you mentioned that Santorini was very quiet during the late fall. Do shops and restaurants close down due to few visitors or can you visit the tourist sites, eat and shop as readily as you can during the height of tourist season?

Barb

Oh no! Tell me you aren't cancelling your cruise in August 2018!!! I was looking forward to planning private tours together ! Yes agreed August is quite hot, however for us summer is hubbys low period for work so we don't have much choice if we want to be away for more than a week or so. I have wondered what the Med would be like in October but that isn't on the cards for us until retirement. Whatever you decide, happy cruising :)

Barb

We were there around November 1st and almost all the shops/restaurants were closed up tight for the season. Many owners leave the island for the off season.

October/November in the Med is not for the faint of heart. Been both months. High water in Venice is so common (acqua alta they call it), we take Wellington boots. Oddly enough St Marks Plazza seemed as crowded as summer but the days were much shorter. The walled cities of the Adriatic and Italy don't drain well and soaked sneakers don't cut it. Wellington boots to the rescue again. On one trip, the Port of Naples was actually closed till about noon. It was so rough the captain actually told women not to wear heals! Having said all that, I'd go again in late fall.