POA bringing food on and taking off

alwalaska

As a US flag ship, sailing a strictly US itinerary, the POA does not even fall under the USPH as other cruise ships do, they follow FDA regulations for sanitation (very similar to USPH though), so the bringing of non-packaged food onto the ship is allowed.

And since all purchased food will be from Hawaii, it is also allowed that non-packaged food is allowed off the ship.

The POA is a unique situation in the cruising industry (except for smaller US flag cruise ships like Blount and American Cruise).

Yes you can. Just be sure to drink all of your ridiculously expensive bottled water that you bought on the ship. Because even if it is bought on board and still sealed, you can't bring that back on:mad:

That's the nickel and diming that drives me crazy, especially when they are pushing you to buy more saying you might not be able to buy more later:rolleyes:

kerri

Thank you Kerri and chengkp75. Do they make you dump the water out of your bottles if you are refilling your own bottles?

The new management's nickel and diming along with some of their other policies were why our last 2 cruises were not with NCL, but I think we are back, even with the things that we are less than happy with. :rolleyes: I figure that even with how expensive things are in Hawaii, it will be cheaper to buy water when we get on shore. I'll just have enough empty bottles to fill and a tray to carry all of the cups of water that I will need to fill them for our Road to Hana trip since we will be leaving too early to buy water that morning. :eek:

Yes you can. Just be sure to drink all of your ridiculously expensive bottled water that you bought on the ship. Because even if it is bought on board and still sealed, you can't bring that back on:mad: That's the nickel and diming that drives me crazy, especially when they are pushing you to buy more saying you might not be able to buy more later:rolleyes: kerri

If you bought a case of water on the ship, the cost per bottle comes out about the same as buying that exact same bottle in the 7-11 once you get ashore. Yes, not as cheap as going to a warehouse store, but comparable to buying the same bottle in a convince store.

Yes you can. Just be sure to drink all of your ridiculously expensive bottled water that you bought on the ship. Because even if it is bought on board and still sealed, you can't bring that back on:mad:

That's the nickel and diming that drives me crazy, especially when they are pushing you to buy more saying you might not be able to buy more later:rolleyes:

kerri

How about just supporting their economy.

We are on the Jewel, Vancouver to Honolulu with stops in Hilo, Kauai and Maui enroute. Although the Jewel is not a US flagged ship, will the same policies apply regarding bringing food on/off? Perhaps not since we originate in Canada.

No, the general rule for cruise ships of only factory sealed food coming or going will apply. Hawaii even regulates food coming from other US states, much as California does for fresh produce in particular.

Thank you Kerri and chengkp75. Do they make you dump the water out of your bottles if you are refilling your own bottles?

The new management's nickel and diming along with some of their other policies were why our last 2 cruises were not with NCL, but I think we are back, even with the things that we are less than happy with. :rolleyes: I figure that even with how expensive things are in Hawaii, it will be cheaper to buy water when we get on shore. I'll just have enough empty bottles to fill and a tray to carry all of the cups of water that I will need to fill them for our Road to Hana trip since we will be leaving too early to buy water that morning. :eek:

Long's Drug Store in Kahului, Maui (directly across from the POA pedestrian exit from the dock) is open 24 hours if you want to pick up water the morning of your Road to Hana trip, and their prices are usually fair.

Correct, you can not. But at GSC the food served comes off the ship
Hmm....that's strange because I've read many posts of people mentioning taking food OFF the ship. I can't imagine that they inspect all your bags going off. This must be a new policy because I never remember them looking in my bags, beach bag or purse for any food.