Hurricane Maria

Bigbluegal

I too am anxiously waiting to hear about my upcoming cruise. I read somewhere that Royal may not be letting passengers know until about four weeks prior to the sailing.

I agree that it would make it easier for many to know earlier in order to be able to change flights, ships, etc. but the logistics of doing this with all the ships that Royal has out of Florida (not even counting Bayonne or Baltimore) as well as all the other cruise lines (Disney, Carnival, MSC, etc.) and their ships, I would not want to be on that team to attempt to redirect all of these ships.

They still do not know if any of the hit ports will be up in the near future. They say weeks, maybe months on some, but they also need to stay in touch with the governments of those islands to know if they are going to be open sooner and then check to make sure the ports will be safe to let passengers off. The other major concern is that all the cruise lines need to coordinate in a way as to not overload the available ports on any given day. One comment I read recently is that they do not want to have 13 ships in a port on one day.

This is very difficult task at best. I am willing to let them take the time needed to work it all out.

It is easy to say you are willing to give them time to work it out but for those of us who have cruises in the next few weeks, that is not too simple.

I hope that they will change to port temporarily until Sj is up and running. I cannot see how they will be able to port out of there in quite some time. Not just weeks, months. The entire island is blacked out and has the potential to be dafrk for months. Even if they open the ports, will there be hotels? I do not want to go there in those conditions. However, if there is a change of port, we need to know so that we can chan ge flights at the last minute and book hotels. So willing to wait doesn;t work for me three weeks out

Hopefully if they disembark at another port, those on the 23rd sailing will have the opportunity to embark there. We are not set to sail until the 30th but I would be willing to fly into another port to cruise. It would be nice to know what options are on the table.

So would I. I do not want to go to SJ when they have no power and they are saying that could be for months. I don't think they can sail a ship out of a port without power anyway. B UT we need to know to change reservations

I understand completely the frustration level and anxiety that is being felt, especially if you are only three weeks out. We are about 10 weeks out.

The only problem is that again, then need to know what ports are available, and the capacity on any given day. It would be a great idea to change the port for departure but that may only work for some but not all of the passengers. What happens if the new port of departure has all the dock slots full and cannot accept any more ships on that day? They would have to try to make another ship come in after a slot opens and then leave later in the day, if that is even possible.

No matter what decision they make, including no decision, there will be some passengers that will be inconvenienced. The cruise companies right now are in a no win situation. They need to make sure that they have safe ports to embark from, sail to and then disembark from. All the cruise lines are in the same logistical nightmare. I am sure they are doing the best they can with the resources available.

Believe me, if I were you, I would feel the same way you do, but in reality, I am sure they are working around the clock to work out all these details.

I was skimming through the previous post and thinking the phrase "logistical nightmare", then that poster used the same phrase. :)

So yes, this is a logistical nightmare -- for companies, consumers, governments, residents, et cetera. I wasn't sure Port Canaveral would be open for the cruise I'm currently on (it opened with a couple of days to spare), and now I just have to hope Maria doesn't swing more West than predicted and close PC again. We all have to acquire patience and flexibility.

I agree mlmbar - anxiety level through the roof!

We are supposed to fly into SJ in 9 days. When will I find out about my hotel accommodations for the night? Will my trip insurance pay for me to change my flight to Saturday so that I don't have to camp in a tent if my hotel is inoperable?

I read somewhere that they will give at least 2 days notice. 2 days? 2 days before the cruise we are driving 2 hours away to spend the night near the airport since we were flying in a day early. Please don't let it be 2 days!

Prayers to all and here is hoping they change the departure port and fast!

I agree mlmbar - anxiety level through the roof!

We are supposed to fly into SJ in 9 days. When will I find out about my hotel accommodations for the night? Will my trip insurance pay for me to change my flight to Saturday so that I don't have to camp in a tent if my hotel is inoperable?

I read somewhere that they will give at least 2 days notice. 2 days? 2 days before the cruise we are driving 2 hours away to spend the night near the airport since we were flying in a day early. Please don't let it be 2 days!

Prayers to all and here is hoping they change the departure port and fast!

I agree! Similar situation. We are staying at the airport in Philly because we leave early Oct 13 for SJ . Cruise is Oct 14. Not about to camp out in a tent because there is no power and /or our hotel is closed. Therefore, we would have to change our flight to Sat, Oct 14. BUT we need to know because flights fill up. I am posting such on the RCI FB page along with many others. RCI is responding with "canned" comments but at least they are reading and feeling the frustration

Guys, the entire island is without power right now and they don't even have the casualty count, won't know that for days. I'm not playing the "how can you think of your vacation at a time like this" card, I'm saying it's physically impossible for anyone to give you the answers you want now.

People with cruises during Harvey and Irma sometimes didn't find out until one or two days beforehand. In one notorious case, RC didn't admit a cruise out of Galveston was canceled until the day it was supposed to sail. There is literally nothing you can do but hold on. Jamming up company phone lines won't help.

Now that I am stressed as hell, I need to rant slightly because I am sick of people saying "well that is what happens if you sail during hurricane season" as if it is my fault and no need to sympathize. I asked for it!!! Well, hurricane season runs for half of the year. Those of us in the north run the risk of snowstorms in winter. SO when are we supposed to go? Spring break?????? Give me a break. Rant over

Now that I am stressed as hell, I need to rant slightly because I am sick of people saying "well that is what happens if you sail during hurricane season" as if it is my fault and no need to sympathize. I asked for it!!! Well, hurricane season runs for half of the year. Those of us in the north run the risk of snowstorms in winter. SO when are we supposed to go? Spring break?????? Give me a break. Rant over

I hope you don't think that's what I was implying in my previous post, because I'm literally sitting on a cruise ship right now and I've been arguing with the "blah blah blah hurricane season" crowd for a month. :)

I was 100% trying to give you the straight truth--based on what's happened with Harvey and Irma, it might be a while before you get answers.

Ha. We were supposed to fly Friday. Cancelled our hotel and rental car. Can't change flight until RCCL makes a decision because we have B2B. Annoying but we have insurance and a full wine rack and a pool so life is awesome.

Uhg - we were also on 9/23. Guess I need to follow your lead and cancel our Friday hotel and stock up the wine fridge. 🤣 Wish they would give us some info so we can proceed with plan B already.

I hope you don't think that's what I was implying in my previous post, because I'm literally sitting on a cruise ship right now and I've been arguing with the "blah blah blah hurricane season" crowd for a month. :)

I was 100% trying to give you the straight truth--based on what's happened with Harvey and Irma, it might be a while before you get answers.

OH NO!!!!! Not at all! I was thinking of lots of other people but not on this board

While I can understand that it might be frustrating that you don't have answers if you're sailing this weekend, but quite honestly, it's a little unreasonable to expect that they're going to have answers yet. Heck, San Juan isn't even out of the heavy rain bands from Maria, there hasn't been enough time for them to assess what the situation really is there. Wishing otherwise can't really make it happen faster. Personally? I'd say the odds of them sailing from PR this weekend are probably somewhere between slim and none. Which means they need to figure out what they can make work as an alternative, but that's something that they have to figure out how they can get enough assets in place to make it work. I woudn't be real surprised if they bring the ship into another port to disembark the passengers that the next cruise simply will get cancelled. Expecting the next group of people to be able to make changes in that short of a period of time probably isn't realistic. Because it's likely going to be sometime tomorrow before they have anything figured out on what to do. Yeah, it sucks. Probably not as much as actually living on one of these islands sucks now.

Just wanted to post a couple of thoughts. For those of you wanting Royal to hurry up a make a decision don't you think they should wait until the Hurricane is past PR and can see how bad the damage is Thursday ?

If they have to relocate the PR ported ships to FL I would point out it is possible to do a Southern Cruise. About 6 years ago we took a 7 day Princess cruise that made a stop at Princess Cay and then went to Aruba, and Curaçao. A couple of sea days each way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wanted to post a couple of thoughts. For those of you wanting Royal to hurry up a make a decision don't you think they should wait until the Hurricane is past PR and can see how bad the damage is Thursday ?

If they have to relocate the PR ported ships to FL I would point out it is possible to do a Southern Cruise. About 6 years ago we took a 7 day Princess cruise that made a stop at Princess Cay and then went to Aruba, and Curaçao. A couple of sea days each way.

That would be an excellent solution, seeing as how those ports would not be crowded at all because no other cruise ships are headed towards Aruba and curaçao, and only RCL ships would go to their private Bahamas island stirrup cay. I would be very happy with that solution.

That would be an excellent solution, seeing as how those ports would not be crowded at all because no other cruise ships are headed towards Aruba and curaçao, and only RCL ships would go to their private Bahamas island stirrup cay. I would be very happy with that solution.

I think that is great! Now RCI, listen to us!!!

I think that is great! Now RCI, listen to us!!![/quote

I think no matter what they have to go back to mainland USA. They will need to load up on their supplies for passengers and SJ is in no condition to provide supplies for AOS guests. I'm assuming AOS usually loads up all their stuff in SJ, they can't do that this time around.

It was nice to do a different cruise out of FL and with the eastern Caribbean a mess they can't all go west. Really the cruise line have real challenge starting in early November when the Ships in Alaska and Europe return. I think a creative cruise line would offer a 8 day Southern hitting the abc islands followed by a 6 day western.

We have some friends who booked an Eastern on the Allure to Nassau, St Thomas and St Martin. It was changed to San Juan, Labadee and Nassau. If San Juan is out I wonder what they will do. Sure wish Royal would figure a way to tender at Grand Cayman. You would think if they can do it with the Freedom class a few more tenders running off both sides could do it in the Oasis class.

It was nice to do a different cruise out of FL and with the eastern Caribbean a mess they can't all go west. Really the cruise line have real challenge starting in early November when the Ships in Alaska and Europe return. I think a creative cruise line would offer a 8 day Southern hitting the abc islands followed by a 6 day western.

We have some friends who booked an Eastern on the Allure to Nassau, St Thomas and St Martin. It was changed to San Juan, Labadee and Nassau. If San Juan is out I wonder what they will do. Sure wish Royal would figure a way to tender at Grand Cayman. You would think if they can do it with the Freedom class a few more tenders running off both sides could do it in the Oasis class.

I am on the allure leaving 10/1---we originally were ...

Nassau, st kitts, st Thomas...then due to the engine issues, changed to

Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan...then due to hurricane Irma changed to

Nassau, Labadee and San Juan...

At this point... I have no idea where we will be going, but will enjoy myself knowing that I am very lucky to be on a cruise at this point.

I have received word that the Puerto Rican Parrot facility is safe as are the parrots being captive bred. As soon as they can, they will assess the fate of the wild population.

Thank you for posting this. I was concerned about the parrots since they were nearly wiped out in previous hurricanes.

Cinda