Hurricane Maria

Bigbluegal

Reports say could be the worst to hit San Juan since 1920.

Adventure departing Saturday could be very a big problem. If the airport and cruise ports are out of service for many days or even weeks, I'd imaging the ship would have to head for Florida to let passengers off and effectively canceling the 9/23 weeks cruise

I'm on the Adventure right now and due to dock back in San Juan on Saturday 23 Sep. The captain has announced that he's taking on extra fuel while here in Aruba as we may not be able to go back to San Juan. He's also said that we have plenty of provisions aboard should we be stuck at sea for a day or two, and if that happens he will look for another port to disembark us.

What if PR's pier is destroyed? Surely they'll have to cancel those cruises, right? I don't see how they could tell all of us that are flying to PR to board the ship at another port...or could they?

Reading all of this hurricane news is hurting my head. I'm certainly glad I don't have to figure out how to reroute all of the ships and planes that will need to be rerouted after Maria.

What if PR's pier is destroyed? Surely they'll have to cancel those cruises, right? I don't see how they could tell all of us that are flying to PR to board the ship at another port...or could they?

Reading all of this hurricane news is hurting my head. I'm certainly glad I don't have to figure out how to reroute all of the ships and planes that will need to be rerouted after Maria.

FWIW, there are two cruise ship piers in San Juan.

For Royal Caribbean: They use the Pan American pier for embarkation. They use the Old San Juan pier for port calls.

Theoretically, if one is damaged, they could use the other.

Thanks. Expecting landfall as a category 4 hurracaine tomorrow morning (around 8am)... This has been exhausting, back to back hurracaines... :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

We all wish you the best of luck. Not sure why you expect a cat 4? Currently 165 at cat 5 and showing signs of further intensification with no signs of deterioration unless a unexpected erc occurs.

It has now been a solid 15-16 hrs since the last communication from the island of Dominica. It would appear that the island is in dire situation.

I'm on the Adventure right now and due to dock back in San Juan on Saturday 23 Sep. The captain has announced that he's taking on extra fuel while here in Aruba as we may not be able to go back to San Juan. He's also said that we have plenty of provisions aboard should we be stuck at sea for a day or two, and if that happens he will look for another port to disembark us.

Stay safe. CAPTAIN is probably correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our hope of flying in for Saturday are getting pretty low now.

I wondering what other port? If SJU takes the direct hit that is projected, the airport could easily be under water for awhile. No electricity in the city for who knows how long. They can't just dump you off in a city that has been devastated. Most need to fly home.

FWIW, there are two cruise ship piers in San Juan.

For Royal Caribbean: They use the Pan American pier for embarkation. They use the Old San Juan pier for port calls.

Theoretically, if one is damaged, they could use the other.

They are both so close together, the chances are they will both be damaged, or hopefully not at all.

They are both so close together, the chances are they will both be damaged, or hopefully not at all.

Not necessarily true. The Pan Am pier has a large terminal building that could be damaged and render the pier unusable even if the pier itself is not damaged. Some of the downtown piers have no buildings on them so the piers could still be usable if not directly damaged.

Not necessarily true. The Pan Am pier has a large terminal building that could be damaged and render the pier unusable even if the pier itself is not damaged. Some of the downtown piers have no buildings on them so the piers could still be usable if not directly damaged.

I hope you are correct. But there are approximately 1-2 miles apart as the crow flies..

Thank you for the update! I've been thinking about what your ship will do. Sounds like a great plan!

Our hope of flying in for Saturday are getting pretty low now.

I wondering what other port? If SJU takes the direct hit that is projected, the airport could easily be under water for awhile. No electricity in the city for who knows how long. They can't just dump you off in a city that has been devastated. Most need to fly home.

I wouldn't think they could dump you in another port, unless it was a US port (Galveston, New Orleans?) because most other islands are not owned by the US, making it so people who don't have passports (or proper Visas, if needed by residents of other countries), can't board planes. Same goes for the person who asked if they might have to fly to another port to board. However, seeing what RC did to people with the shortened cruises, requiring them to fly into a hurricane area to board the ship...I wouldn't put it past them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6a65f3611d1d81a4084d4a0c177053d4.jpg

Dan.

I have the ultimate respect for Captain Busto. We were aboard during Irma and he did a fantastic job explaining what was happening twice a day. Good luck to everyone cruising. Like us, you're likely to experience most of your problems after your cruise, not during. Poor Puerto Rico. I feel for everyone there.

He also said that we have enough water and food for 1 and1/2 weeks at sea. That would be a nice extended cruise!

I have the ultimate respect for Captain Busto. We were aboard during Irma and he did a fantastic job explaining what was happening twice a day. Good luck to everyone cruising. Like us, you're likely to experience most of your problems after your cruise, not during. Poor Puerto Rico. I feel for everyone there.

Yes, Captain Busto has been great. Very informative. We are in a wait and see approach right now.

The Loyalty Ambassador told us some folks are disembarking and flying home from Aruba due to the uncertainty.

We were not scheduled to fly home until Monday from Puerto Rico anyway, so have a bit of a buffer. I'm thinking that if we can't return to Puerto Rico within a couple days of our original schedule, we'll probably divert to Miami. Just a guess on my part though.

Anyway, we are on vacation and making the best of it! I hope the islands recover quickly. It's been a relentless month for a lot of them.

Dan.

It has now been a solid 15-16 hrs since the last communication from the island of Dominica. It would appear that the island is in dire situation.

Very worrying & very sad.

Such a beautiful island and such lovely people when we visited.

It was my 13 year old daughter's favourite and where she claimed she wanted to live eventually.

Thank you for update are u going to bonaire for your next port? What time are u leaving Aruba tomorrow I have friends onboard I have not been able to talk to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My cruise isn't until Christmas. What about the people already ON their cruise? I haven't seen an announcement on them. Agreed with all the comments about the people directly affected (effected? I can never remember) too! Good thread.

Renee

Please see the Maria thread for several posts from those of us the Adventure now. Or just your questions and I'll be glad to answer.