LIVE from the Grandeur of the Seas - Canada/NE Sept 21-30

CLE2CRUISE

Still looking for recommendations for the best poutine in the Canadian ports. Did you happen to try any of it yourself, or hear of anyone who did? We sail this itinerary 3 weeks from today and it's on my bucket list of things to do in places I've not been to yet.

Hope things don't get too rocky out there for you guys this evening. Maria is still packing a punch in the North Atlantic, with swells affecting much of the east coast of the United States, Atlantic Canada, and Bermuda. Try to relax and enjoy your final days at sea!

Thanks so much for posting impressions of your voyage. It's been fun to follow along!

We only went to the Halifax port and didn't find any poutine. In fact the one person we asked didn't even seem to know what we were talking about so we gave up and ate pizza :)

I did hear if an amazing lobster special in Portland. A place called 'the porthole' where they had a 2/$25 steamed lobster special that were delicious, according to table mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We only went to the Halifax port and didn't find any poutine. In fact the one person we asked didn't even seem to know what we were talking about so we gave up and ate pizza :)

I did hear if an amazing lobster special in Portland. A place called 'the porthole' where they had a 2/$25 steamed lobster special that were delicious, according to table mates.

Bummer about the poutine, but I will not let that deter me. My personal quest is even stronger now! Thanks for the intel on The Porthole. That sounds like a deal that is too good to pass up. Let's hope the special is still available in October. But even if it isn't, the first item listed on their lunch/dinner menu under sandwiches is the Porthole Lobster Roll. I can see leaving that establishment being very happy under any circumstance.

And this is why Cruise Critic is so amazing! Resources run deep here and they are greatly appreciated!

I don't know if you plan to do a live review, but at the very least I'll need a picture of whatever poutine you find added to this one, please! [emoji38]

I believe we got off the Grandeur the day that your cruise began. We went to Bermuda, our very first cruise. Really liked the ship, and RC in general. The weather, however, was against us but we knew it was risky to schedule in hurricane season. I have never had motion sickness before this trip, but it was like a carnival ride that you couldn’t exit ;) I do feel your pain! (The ocean in your photo is looking pretty darn good, to be honest.)

I’m enjoying your review so much! We are considering the NE Canada cruise for a future trip, so I truly appreciate the bird’s eye view you’re providing. I think the size of this ship is our speed.

Enjoy Chefs Table. Please can you take a pic of the menu? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

Chefs table was AMAZING!!! Not only did we get an incredible meal with each dish described in detailed and paired with perfect wine, we met many lovely ppl and had the opportunity to get to know them in depth. We also had a great chance to talk to the sommelier and our waiter for the night, Luis. He told very interesting stories about working on several ships and how he was disappointed to be assigned to the Grandeur but now loves the family atmosphere. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it before. A very unique experience. Here are some photos and the menu. They told us the menu was changed last month but had previously been the same for five years!

02b36435ee4ebc14235b55b92e53a419.jpgf1150af8e501aeceaf68c438713a0913.jpg52723296661e638b999db3ed0f1c152a.jpg

2b5a883ac52202c46c9c8527ff1f9282.jpg

d585bf8190bbdaa8caef6c1bbc695f8f.jpgfacff530f3fe8823577531574e913451.jpg

Hi there: couple more questions if you have time?

Did you see the Kummelweck (sp?) roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe?

And when you ordered room service was there a fee? Something tells me that Royal is now charging for room service?

Your detail and updates have been amazing, we are so anxious for our trip. We are booked for a large ocean view at the back of deck 3.

Hopefully that is a nice place to spend 12 nights.

Jeff

Hi there: couple more questions if you have time?

Did you see the Kummelweck (sp?) roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe?

And when you ordered room service was there a fee? Something tells me that Royal is now charging for room service?

Your detail and updates have been amazing, we are so anxious for our trip. We are booked for a large ocean view at the back of deck 3.

Hopefully that is a nice place to spend 12 nights.

Jeff

Hello. Yes the kummelweck was there on the first today. There is a pic of it on the first page of the review.

Royal is now charging a $7.95 fee for room service. We didn't order any. I understand there is a small selection of cold breakfast items and coffee you can still order free. Also as we had some rough days, they brought saltines, ginger ale, green apples etc for free if you asked for them.

I'm sure you will Enjoy your trip. And have better luck with weather than we did. Today is gorgeous though. Time to go appreciate it!!

Have fun :)

I believe we got off the Grandeur the day that your cruise began. We went to Bermuda, our very first cruise. Really liked the ship, and RC in general. The weather, however, was against us but we knew it was risky to schedule in hurricane season. I have never had motion sickness before this trip, but it was like a carnival ride that you couldn’t exit ;) I do feel your pain! (The ocean in your photo is looking pretty darn good, to be honest.)

I’m enjoying your review so much! We are considering the NE Canada cruise for a future trip, so I truly appreciate the bird’s eye view you’re providing. I think the size of this ship is our speed.

I'm sure that photo I captured doesn't do it justice. I still have to figure out how to post video. They did wind up canceling the headliner show last night as members of the band, Abbacadabra, were ill.

I'm sure that photo I captured doesn't do it justice. I still have to figure out how to post video. They did wind up canceling the headliner show last night as members of the band, Abbacadabra, were ill.

Aww, that’s too bad. I’m not sure that any of our shows got cancelled, but we are early to bed types and might not have realized it. A dancer fell during a performance, no surprise considering the conditions they were working under.

Aww, that’s too bad. I’m not sure that any of our shows got cancelled, but we are early to bed types and might not have realized it. A dancer fell during a performance, no surprise considering the conditions they were working under.

Oh how awful!!! I didn't really think the dance performances were that good but I was VERY impressed by their efforts and especially to hit marks and keep dancing with the boat moving so much. That was the second show that was cancelled but I really did still have a terrific time. There is always something to do somewhere on the ship. And it's sunny today!!! :)