LIVE from the Grandeur of the Seas - Canada/NE Sept 21-30

CLE2CRUISE

I don't know how I missed them. I guess I'll have to go back.

I am envious. My husband and I wanted to dance on our cruise and could only find the "dance parties" which were line dancing or special dances.

Re: Windjammer. One day there was some chicken dish with a name I didn't know. I asked the staff if it was spicy. There were 2 guys there that had me laughing. Explained what it was and said it wasn't spicy for them but it might be for me. They were just funny how they talked with me. (And I did find it spicy,)

Regarding dancing (I think Oslo asked as well)...... I think there may have been some sort of group or club that all came together on this cruise. I realized later that it was the same group of 12 people or so that kept getting up to dance in the Centrum. I would later see them all eating together and traveling together so I'm assuming it was a dance group, as they were very good and knew how to do any/every kind of dance to music that Locomotion would place.

Lisa N.

Chefs table was AMAZING!!! Not only did we get an incredible meal with each dish described in detailed and paired with perfect wine, we met many lovely ppl and had the opportunity to get to know them in depth. We also had a great chance to talk to the sommelier and our waiter for the night, Luis. He told very interesting stories about working on several ships and how he was disappointed to be assigned to the Grandeur but now loves the family atmosphere. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it before. A very unique experience. Here are some photos and the menu. They told us the menu was changed last month but had previously been the same for five years!

02b36435ee4ebc14235b55b92e53a419.jpgf1150af8e501aeceaf68c438713a0913.jpg52723296661e638b999db3ed0f1c152a.jpg

2b5a883ac52202c46c9c8527ff1f9282.jpg

d585bf8190bbdaa8caef6c1bbc695f8f.jpgfacff530f3fe8823577531574e913451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been struggling to think of my favorite food on the ship, but I think it may have been this lobster tail. Definiately the best lobster tail I've ever had. We did the Chef's table on formal night and although it was not part of the chef's table menu, the waiter added one for each of us so we wouldn't miss it. I was thinking that the mass produced tails would be overcooked and tough, but this one was perfectly tender and succulent. I talked to some folks the next day who said the same of the ones they had in the MDR. Nice work, RCI!

Follow this link...http://www.halifaxsociable.ca/top-5-poutines-in-halifax/

As a Canadian, please remember, it is (/puːˈtiːn/; Quebec French: [put͡sɪn], but not pu-teen)

Can't state that enough lol

Jeff

That’s funny, I was born and have lived my whole life in Ottawa, Canada right at the Quebec border - we pronounce them “pou-teen” here, LOL!

An authentic poutine is made with French fries, rich beef gravy and cheese curds, without all the fancy extras they put on them in some places! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am curious and perhaps a bit clueless as I have never taken a northern cruise and we are on this cruise in 2 weeks, but why is there a time change on day 7? and thank you for posting the compasses. Helps me get an idea of our cruise. :)

I am curious and perhaps a bit clueless as I have never taken a northern cruise and we are on this cruise in 2 weeks, but why is there a time change on day 7? and thank you for posting the compasses. Helps me get an idea of our cruise. :)

I don't know! We had a hard time figuring that out too. We thought maybe it had to do with being out into international water? I can only tell you that it was a pain. Be sure to bring a watch because our phones were always wrong from the ship time.

Does this help?

In Canada, the provinces of New Brunswick,[1] Nova Scotia,[2] and Prince Edward Island reckon time specifically as an offset of 4 hours from Greenwich Mean time (GMT-4). Small portions of Quebec (eastern Côte-Nord and the Magdalen Islands) are also part of the Atlantic Standard Time Zone. Officially, the entirety of Newfoundland and Labrador observes Newfoundland Standard Time,[3] but in practice most of Labrador uses the Atlantic Standard Time Zone.

Jeff

Regarding dancing (I think Oslo asked as well)...... I think there may have been some sort of group or club that all came together on this cruise. I realized later that it was the same group of 12 people or so that kept getting up to dance in the Centrum. I would later see them all eating together and traveling together so I'm assuming it was a dance group, as they were very good and knew how to do any/every kind of dance to music that Locomotion would place.

Lisa N.

Interesting. That would be fun. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm sure I'll still be around, even if I'm not actively planning a cruise, because you all are such fun and I very much enjoy experiencing outings through you! I'll be looking for more live reviews! :)Lisa N.

I had almost 3 years between cruises. I would love to be able to afford to cruise more often. I hang out here to live vicariously through others.

Interesting. That would be fun. Thanks for clarifying.

I had almost 3 years between cruises. I would love to be able to afford to cruise more often. I hang out here to live vicariously through others.

Thanks Carol!! Good to know it's not just me :). Maybe we can find a dance group to join on a cruise sometime :)

Fantastic review from a "first time cruiser."

Wondering how long it took you to get off the ship, get bags, go through customs, and get to transportation to airport ? We will be boarding in 2 days and have a late am flight out of BWI when we get back...

Help veteran cruisers! Is this the infamous coconut ranger cookie? If that's even the correct name- I can't quite remember. John LOVES them. 083a4efda0f0b68e52be6dfa11b43f89.jpg

I think these cookies were by themselves responsible for five lbs of weight gain on our recent Adventure cruise.

Thanks for the great review...loved Grandeur back in 99!

Thanks Carol!! Good to know it's not just me :). Maybe we can find a dance group to join on a cruise sometime :)

On a cruise to the Southern Caribbean on Grandeur maybe 2-ish years ago, there was a group of dancers from a senior center in Baltimore who were sailing with us. A day or two into the cruise after we'd all been on the dance floor a few times, someone asked us if we were a part of the dance group...mind you, DH and I are in our mid 40's...we could only reply "Not yet," although I guess we could also have said that we're not from Baltimore. They were having a blast out there, though!

Would be delighted to join anyone on a dance cruise in the future, just let us know when you plan to go!

• 4 weeks later...
That’s funny' date=' I was born and have lived my whole life in Ottawa, Canada right at the Quebec border - we pronounce them “pou-teen” here, LOL!

An authentic poutine is made with French fries, rich beef gravy and cheese curds, without all the fancy extras they put on them in some places! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Back from our NE/Canadian run this morning, and happy to report that we had our first poutine ever from Willy's in Halifax: http://www.willysfreshcut.ca/ The place is literally a hole in the wall, you walk up and order from the sidewalk through an open window. The guys who work there were amazed that we'd never had poutine before and they assured us that theirs was at least above average. Our verdict: it was delicious. The next time, though, I may splurge for the additional cheese curds. Approximately 50% more curds on our medium sized serving to share would have made it even more delicious. Will be going back there any time we find ourselves in Halifax again for sure.