single passenger

Floflegs

I've only done it once, so my methods may evolve :) but for my last trip I simply waited until I started to receive some interesting prices (for 2) - about 4 months before sailing date; then contacted a number of online travel agencies with my requirements (i.e solo traveller, cheapest inside cabin) and asked for prices on a number of sailings. That late some cabin grades weren't available so the prices seemed high but I eventually found one & booked it.

I eventually went with P+O & although I don't know the actual per person price on the cruise I picked (so cannot work out exactly the single supplement I was charged) it seemed that the single supplement was approximately as advertised in the brochure.

I have heard there are sometimes special offers where single supplements are reduced or removed but I have not come across them.

Karen

I sail with a group but get my own cabin, so the single supplement can be very high. I have always found that Holland America has probably, the most reasonable single supplement of most of the cruise lines. I get an inside cabin and have been charged only 1 1/2 times the fare. From what I understand, alot of the other cruise lines will charge you double the fare.

As the doone said, Holland America often has the lowest single supplements. Some lines (eg. Celebrity and Princess) not only want 200% of the double fare, but will not honor sale prices for singles so the effective price is more than 200%.

However, you can usually find lower single supplements on many lines off season or on repositioing cruises. For example, my sister's fare on the Brilliance transatlantic was only about 130% of the double fare.

My experience has been that Princess will absolutely not discount for a single passenger, so your son is stuck with a double fare. That's the reason I'll probably never get the opportunity to sail on Princess.

Roz

You can contact the cruise line and ask if they have any type of "single share" program. I understand that Princess does for certain categories on certain cruises. You book as a "single share" and Princess can match you with anyone -- they only guarantee gender. If Princess does not add someone to your cabin, you still only pay your 1/2 of the total cabin cost. I think they charge the Princess rate (not a TA rate), but it could still be cheaper than a single supplement.

Only you can decide if you're willing to share with "just anyone".

Floflegs, in the US Princess only charges 150% for singles on the lower categories, say mid-grade outside and insides. The balconies and higher are 200% of the cruise fare. However, I see that you are from Scotland, and Princess uses a completely different pricing structure there. Your best bet is to contact the UK Princess office directly and ask your question. Most of the advice you will receive here really only applies to US and Canada bookings.

Floflegs, in the US Princess only charges 150% for singles on the lower categories, say mid-grade outside and insides. The balconies and higher are 200% of the cruise fare. However, I see that you are from Scotland, and Princess uses a completely different pricing structure there. Your best bet is to contact the UK Princess office directly and ask your question. Most of the advice you will receive here really only applies to US and Canada bookings.

My son is working in Fargo, ND so he is looking for prices in US. I can't really do much from here so that is why I was looking for advice.

Archived