Just cancel the San Juan based sailings already!

saltydoge

Do you think the sailings out of San Juan should be canceled?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the sailings out of San Juan should be canceled?

• Yes, they should cancel all sailings until after Thanksgiving.
    • No, we should be more optimistic about the recovery.

NO Hotels are open yet. it’s not just the airport nightmare.....it is nothing short of that right now. I am all for helping with $$$, but not until the basic necessities of the people of Puerto Rico are being met, does it make sense for an influx of outside people to take that away for those who so need it. I pray it is soon and not for my vacation, but for all those in Puerto Rico.....

According to the PR Tourism information link posted in another thread, you are wrong, there are a number of hotels that ARE open but just not taking new reservations until specific dates.

According to the PR Tourism information link posted in another thread, you are wrong, there are a number of hotels that ARE open but just not taking new reservations until specific dates.

Any of the hotels posted that are open and taking reservations after today's date still show as closed when searching for rooms online. The Holiday Inn says they are closed until November yet the PR link shows otherwise so not sure where they are getting their information.

Any of the hotels posted that are open and taking reservations after today's date still show as closed when searching for rooms online. The Holiday Inn says they are closed until November yet the PR link shows otherwise so not sure where they are getting their information.

This is the person that put out the message,

Message from José Izquierdo Executive Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company

Perhaps they are still open but still not yet taking new reservations due to overeager expectations of when they could/would be able to take new reservations.

We’re scheduled to dock in SJU the morning of 10/26 and fly out the next day. From what I see on the news it doesn’t seem like the airport will be fully up and running by then.

Would the people on this board who live in San Juan please comment on what you think the airport situation will be in ~3wks? Also, we don’t want to use up any of the much needed resources focused on the people of Puerto Rico.

Prayers to you all.

Just do what you would normally do on any cruise. You will not be in the way. The devastation is being overhyped in the media. Yes, the damage was serious, but you won't see much of it by the time you come down in November. Right now people are handling it well here and they won't resent anything. We need YOU to come down. Please.

AoS - thanks for your local perspective. Although the last few weeks have been stressful for our upcoming cruise planning, I can't imagine what it's been for you locally.

But nonetheless, like the strong people of Puerto Rico, we are going to persevere. We will be traveling to San Juan next Friday for our cruise on 10/13. We have a hotel reservation (which we have confirmed 3 times) and plan to spend money supporting local establishments. I do have a few specific questions if you don't mind answering:

- I have read reports that most of the Condado area now has full power restored. Can you confirm if that's true?

- Also, I know that the distribution of gasoline and diesel are precious commodities right now, so can you confirm if any taxis are running?

- And finally, I also read that the curfew in San Juan has been pushed back to 9PM - can you confirm if this is now the case?

God bless the people of Puerto Rico. You are strong and I know you will come back better than ever. I plan to do my part by supporting local businesses and not taking my money elsewhere. #PuertoRicoSeLevanta!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a dentist appointment yesterday. Everyone in the office from the DDS to the receptionist has family in PR. As of Monday they'd been able to contact them all. The last of them finally got running water Sunday. But they are all around San Juan and Ponce. Condition of a lot of folks in the interior is still unknown.

They told me the FEMA trucks have been able to get into the interior and that there have been problems getting drivers willing to run the bigger rigs outside the cities. I suggested using helicopters - surely the National Guard has some. Haven't heard that suggested.

I had a dentist appointment yesterday. Everyone in the office from the DDS to the receptionist has family in PR. As of Monday they'd been able to contact them all. The last of them finally got running water Sunday. But they are all around San Juan and Ponce. Condition of a lot of folks in the interior is still unknown.

They told me the FEMA trucks have been able to get into the interior and that there have been problems getting drivers willing to run the bigger rigs outside the cities. I suggested using helicopters - surely the National Guard has some. Haven't heard that suggested.

Well, I just turned on Fox and what do I see but Geraldo Rivera helping load a chopper with supplies - good.

Just got word that my family now has power. And we don't need to evacuate anymore.

The fact that things are improving is the reason cruises are not being canceled.

That's wonderful news! What part of the island do they live on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family is in Ponce. And I heard that 7% now has power.

status.pr has some good info on it:

74% gas stations on,

65% supermarkets

6.89% power

40% telecommunications

11.6% Cell towers

22.54% cell service

51 hospitals are open

606 pharmacies

75% of ports are open

27% of ATMs are running

This as of right now- 12:50pm EST, 10/3/17

74% gas stations on,

65% supermarkets

6.89% power

40% telecommunications

11.6% Cell towers

22.54% cell service

51 hospitals are open

606 pharmacies

75% of ports are open

27% of ATMs are running

This as of right now- 12:50pm EST, 10/3/17

Great dashboard - and at least a little encouraging. Thanks.

76% gas stations on,

70% supermarkets

8.6% power

43% telecommunications

11.6% Cell towers

22.54% cell service

51 hospitals are open

606 pharmacies

75% of ports are open

37% of ATMs are running

This as of right now- 12:00pm EST, 10/4/17

Corrections for 10/4 are in the above with edits.

. . . government personnel, engineers, military and contractors that should be overwhelming the island to rebuild (if only we had the leadership to make this happen).

So when are you heading down to Puerto Rico to help rebuild?

Oh, you meant other people should show leadership and make this happen while you stay at home. Now I get it.

AoS - thanks for your local perspective. Although the last few weeks have been stressful for our upcoming cruise planning, I can't imagine what it's been for you locally.

But nonetheless, like the strong people of Puerto Rico, we are going to persevere. We will be traveling to San Juan next Friday for our cruise on 10/13. We have a hotel reservation (which we have confirmed 3 times) and plan to spend money supporting local establishments. I do have a few specific questions if you don't mind answering:

- I have read reports that most of the Condado area now has full power restored. Can you confirm if that's true?

- Also, I know that the distribution of gasoline and diesel are precious commodities right now, so can you confirm if any taxis are running?

- And finally, I also read that the curfew in San Juan has been pushed back to 9PM - can you confirm if this is now the case?

God bless the people of Puerto Rico. You are strong and I know you will come back better than ever. I plan to do my part by supporting local businesses and not taking my money elsewhere. #PuertoRicoSeLevanta!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

- I'm not going to say "most", but a good part of Condado now has electricity.

- Fuel service is almost normalized now. So yes, taxis and city buses are running.

- The curfew is now from midnight to 5:00 AM, although most people just ignore it.

- Also, the main issue with hotels not taking reservations, is that they're full of FEMA types, most of whom are near the point of just being in the way of business going back to normal. We appreciate the help, but there is such thing as too many people trying to help.

Thank you so much for your words and your deeds. As in coming down anyway. We need more people like you!

Thank you all so much for the information! We are scheduled to sail from SJ on the Fascination on 11/5, but are staying 3 nights prior in Isla Verde.

-Has anyone been in the Isla Verde area? Do some of the condos have power back? Is the Pueblo grocery store up and running?

We are waiting on Carnival to let us know what will happen with sailing and might reschedule our flight to come in on the 4th if we have to, but trying to get as much info as we can now.

Much appreciated! Have so much love for Puerto Rico!

I ran across this post on a RCL forum. It seems very relevant to the topic of this thread.

Skiiergirl

Posted September 27th, 2017, 10:19 AM

"Again....for every person that wants RC to "hurry up and cancel" there is another that wants them to "hang on as long as possible" to make changes. For those sailing within the next few weeks....I understand your anxiety....but it is part of cruising during hurricane season. While there is a chance anytime of year for reroutes....you took a larger risk booking during hurricane season. For those that say the ship can't sail out of PR even if the pier is ok due to supplies, etc....the ship can refuel and pick up supplies in other ports. I am sure The inventory manager onboard is very good and can work with corporate and vendors, etc to get supplies on other islands. For the Oct 7 sailing they are allowing folks to board on Oct 6. This should help those that might have gotten their hotel reservation cancelled. I think some folks are rushing into judgement and wanting RC to rush to judgement. I was telling Mr Ski about this thread....his reaction was " sounds like a bunch of people with half cocked information trying to give a barrel full of advice". For the hotels that are open, their staff probably wants guests for the paycheck/tips, etc. If the checkin staff/porters, etc can get to the pier...I am sure they need the paycheck/tips. If the island is capable of accepting the ship/pax, these people need the $. I know it is your vacation with dedicated/limited days...but these people have had their world blown apart and need whatever support the tourists and RC can give them. Just a few short weeks ago everyone was saying St M and St T wouldn't be able to handle a ship for 6 months. Today I am reading news from various sources that indicate both St M and St T will be eagerly accepting ships/pax early/mid November. So some folks rushed to judgement there! am sure they are in need of the tourist $. For those wanting RC to rush and make changes think about the fact you might be taking needed $ away from these folks that need the tourist $ asap. I can be a little inconvenienced in waiting until the last moment to make changes if needed....if that gives more of an opportunity to help these folks get back to normal and get tourist $ coming in."

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

Excerpts From today’s WSJ:

In the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, many Puerto Ricans are grappling with growing health concerns due to a lack of reliable access to medical care, supplies and clean water......

Local residents have reported cases of eye infections and say they are concerned about other health risks from exposure to dirty floodwaters and debris.......

The situation is high risk.......

....cases of the eye infection conjunctivitis had popped up in a shelter in Ponce, on the southern coast of the island. Mosquito-borne diseases, such as Zika and chikungunya, are also a source of concern......

....Most of the island iswithout stable powerand is relying on generators.

The lingering floodwaters from the storm pose particular concern, according to public-health experts and local residents.

Floodwaters can contain toxic chemicals, be harmful to human health and be vectors for infectious diseases, like E.coli, according to Jill Johnston, an expert in hazardous waste and wastewater at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine in Los Angeles. Standing water can serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes, which carry viruses like dengue and Zika.....

Eunice Vargas, who lives in Levittown, a suburb west of San Juan, said a nearby channel overflowed following the storm, flooding streets and homes. The floodwaters were teeming with fish, worms, trash, oil and excrement, she said.

“It was like a river of dirty water, sewage water,” said Ms. Vargas......

Excerpts From today’s WSJ:

In the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, many Puerto Ricans are grappling with growing health concerns due to a lack of reliable access to medical care, supplies and clean water......

Local residents have reported cases of eye infections and say they are concerned about other health risks from exposure to dirty floodwaters and debris.......

The situation is high risk.......

....cases of the eye infection conjunctivitis had popped up in a shelter in Ponce, on the southern coast of the island. Mosquito-borne diseases, such as Zika and chikungunya, are also a source of concern......

....Most of the island iswithout stable powerand is relying on generators.

The lingering floodwaters from the storm pose particular concern, according to public-health experts and local residents.

Floodwaters can contain toxic chemicals, be harmful to human health and be vectors for infectious diseases, like E.coli, according to Jill Johnston, an expert in hazardous waste and wastewater at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine in Los Angeles. Standing water can serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes, which carry viruses like dengue and Zika.....

Eunice Vargas, who lives in Levittown, a suburb west of San Juan, said a nearby channel overflowed following the storm, flooding streets and homes. The floodwaters were teeming with fish, worms, trash, oil and excrement, she said.

“It was like a river of dirty water, sewage water,” said Ms. Vargas......

I'm not quite understanding the point of this post. Are you implying that Celebrity should cancel the future cruises because of this WSJ article?

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

So WSJ knows more than Aviator of the Seas or alfaeric, both of which actually live in PR or have family there? I don't think they have any reason to lie in their posts about the situation.

When I read the article, I see that there's an increased *risk* to pretty much every disease that is currently on the island. That's probably a reasonable thing. But it's not so risky in most parts that it's going to lead to mass death.

Thankfully, things are improving every day. And worry has gone down quite a bit. Not gone, as it's still really hard to communicate. But water, power, food, etc- all of that makes one feel a whole lot better.

Lets the work concentrate on the middle of the island where it was hardest hit.