Just cancel the San Juan based sailings already!

saltydoge

Do you think the sailings out of San Juan should be canceled?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the sailings out of San Juan should be canceled?

• Yes, they should cancel all sailings until after Thanksgiving.
    • No, we should be more optimistic about the recovery.

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics." With that in mind does anyone know how the recovery statistics are calculated?

For example, if the governor says "12% of power is restored" does he mean 12% of the population has power or 12% of the island has power? I don't really think that's splitting hairs. If it's 12% of the island and that includes metropolitan San Juan then that could mean around 2.3 mil of the 3.4 mil island wide have power. If it's the other way then it could mean only around 408,000 people have power.

This came to mind because everyone from the DDS to the receptionist at my dentist office is from PR. They have all been in contact with their families there and been told they are all safe, secure and not starving. I'm not trying to diminish the problem in any way but when I hear the Mayor of SJ talking like armageddon has come to PR but the Governor is being optimistic and insisting progress is being made........well, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

We were very afraid to land in PR as we did not feel we were getting enough info to be there safely. Flew in to SJU on 10/7. Airport had power, fresh water, venues open to eat. There were a few people waiting around (25-50) but not the desperate thousands we had been expecting. Many military types landing for relief efforts. Arrivals board showed 18 incoming flights...all on time. No cancellations on the board at all. Passed by a couple areas where the roof was leaking/water puddling up but iti is not like the roof was missing or you could see right up to the sky. City streets to the pier were clear. No piles of debris were evident. Damaged vegetation is visible as are some damaged buildings but the pictures of mud and debris and homes looking like piles of matchsticks simply were not obvious. SW airlines into A gates was smooth sailing. Baggage claim functioned as expected. Still did not see many taxis but individual drivers and city traffic were moving well. You can get safely and easily from SJU to Pan Am port via cruise transfers. Port building was also intact (once on the ship could see some roof damage) but again, not the wasteland I was fearing. Go to San Juan get directly on your ship and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!

How about the cruise ship companies offering ‘Full Future Credit’ on another cruise for those who don’t feel it is wise to travel to PR at this time?

Why would they do that since it looks like ships will be sailing from SJ regularly? If someone chooses not to go on their cruise it's makes no difference where it leaves from and it's on them. I doubt even insurance would pay just because someone decided on their own it wasn't "wise" yet everyone else is going. Certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this cruise credit.

Exactly what mimjes said. And I do have insurance - always do, however, it only covers 75% if you have cancel for any reason. I have been on cruisecritic a long time and cruising for way longer.

I just don't appreciate people being nasty because we don't want to dock in San Juan.

I feel that we should be offered another option. NCL would not lose any revenue by letting us transfer our booking to another cruise that has space available.

Exactly what mimjes said. And I do have insurance - always do, however, it only covers 75% if you have cancel for any reason. I have been on cruisecritic a long time and cruising for way longer.

I just don't appreciate people being nasty because we don't want to dock in San Juan.

I feel that we should be offered another option. NCL would not lose any revenue by letting us transfer our booking to another cruise that has space available.

Been offline for a few days but have you presented it to NCL that you would like to transfer to another cruise rather than do a refund? That does seem reasonable (BIG) IF you can get the right person on the line on the NCL side. They wouldn't want to set a precedent, though, and that could be the fly in the ointment.

Who is being nasty? I'm trying to understand what people want. Nobody is clear, other than objecting to going to San Juan. Just plain old objection solves no problems. Solutions are needed.

So your suggestion is that the cruise you are on should give you a future cruise credit? It makes sense, but I still don't see that as a realistic option, since the situation on the ground is improving every day. Worth calling your cruise line and asking, though.

NCL would not lose any revenue by letting us transfer our booking to another cruise that has space available.

Not trying to be mean, just don't see it happening. I don't think they (the cruise lines) would see it as any different than someone deciding a few weeks out that they don't want to go on their cruise to Mexico, Jamaica, Belize or anywhere else, that the person for whatever reason feels is unwise.

If they were to let you change and then they don't re-sell your cabin on the original cruise, you essentially have gotten two cabins, on two ships, for the cost of one, but one of them will sail empty. A loosing proposition for the cruise line, especially if they could have still sold the second cabin.

JMHO

Itinerary Updates 10/09/2017 – 6:00PM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – Southern Caribbean Cruises

We have been working very closely with our partners in San Juan over the last couple of weeks, and based on the assessment of our terminal facilities, support services and local conditions, we are happy to announce that we will be returning to San Juan to resume cruises to the Southern Caribbean, effective with Carnival Fascination’s October 15 sailing. Our team’s visit this past week confirmed the Old San Juan area is ready to receive tourists. Many shops and businesses have returned to their normal business operations with more opening up every day.

Like you, we were saddened to see the impact the recent storm had on Puerto Rico. Tourism is very important to their economy, and with your help, we are pleased to play an important role in aiding their recovery efforts in a meaningful way.

We look forward delivering the great cruise experience our guests have come to expect from Carnival and recognize you want to plan for all there is to see and do on your cruise. With this in mind, we want to advise you of a few changes in your itinerary that have been made to ensure you have the best possible shore experience.

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

I am hopeful that this newest power outage at the airport and other places in San Juan will get fixed soon. I have been trying to call my back-up hotel reservations to confirm since this morning, after I heard from original hotel I booked that they will not be open yet like they had thought. We do have a rental car booked and reconfirmed, it would be really nice to be able to contact our hotel though. We cruise out Saturday(10/14) but our flights are for Thursday AM and only flight on that airline with seats on Saturday arrives at 9pm so flying in isn't an option unless we just have to eat the cost of the ones we have and buy new, provided there are any even available. Similar issue, we are not scheduled to fly home (via Southewest) until 10/25. Have 4 nights booked in Vieques, house has minimal damage and if they get power, we can still stay there. Southwest has no available flights out between when the ship gets into port (10/21) and when our tickets are for...having a hard time finding alternate flights or hotel for that time period too.

That being said, I really hope that it all somehow works out. lol