Adonia is going

cruiser1955

Thanks, yes would have been more of a pain if we had, now have to work out what we want to do.

Will look at other companies, P&O have one J805 that will work for us, but the reason we chose Adonia was primarily the itinerary and the fact that its a small ship and can get up the rivers and berth in the towns.. If all they are offering is 100 pounds off an cruise then I think we'll look to see what other cruise lines have. Thomson is one that loads of people are mentioning now, I know nothing about it, actually I'd never heard of it before I'd booked this cruise.

So back to the drawing board!!

Thomson's new ships that they got from RC lifts them to a new level and when Splendour and Legend were with RC they were very popular plus they offer lots of balcony cabins that Thomson were lacking in their other ships.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.

Commiserations to you as well. Sad day, like you we were really looking forward to Adonia D812 and one after D813. Hope we get our full deposits back, soon.

Just this afternoon I have booked Sapphire Princess for 2 June, Baltic Heritage, which is B2B with Sapphire already booked- Scandinavia, 26 May-2 June. Lucky to snare same cabin for both after some wheeling and dealing with nice Princess lady.:* Then have to work out what to do with remaining 3 weeks prior to fly out on 7 July, might go over to Ireland for 3 weeks, get a car. Can fly from Southampton to Dublin, cheap.

P&O UK are off my list of cruiselines now.

Good luck with your arrangements. We are locked in with our flights, but going to a relo wedding precruise anyway.

I am pleased you are being able to get other alternatives sorted.

P&O are offering the same £100 that they gave us when our Adonia cruise was cancelled when she went to Fathom. We too learnt about it on the internet before P&O contacted us. In fact our Cruise Agent who I spoke to on the Monday, after I'd learnt over the weekend what was happening, told me that they had only been told about what was happening on late on the Friday afternoon. Basically when it's a commercial deal, particularly if it's Carnival doing the deal, not P&O themselves, they couldn't care less what the customer thinks. We loved Adonia, did three tips on her before she went to Fathom and now really prefer Aurora and Oceana although we've been on all the others apart from Britannia. Maybe we'll look at Azmara but it would be fly cruises which I'm less and less keen on. It makes sense Adonia going to Azmara as they have other ships from the Renaissance line, which is where Adonia originated.

P&O are offering the same £100 that they gave us when our Adonia cruise was cancelled when she went to Fathom. We too learnt about it on the internet before P&O contacted us. In fact our Cruise Agent who I spoke to on the Monday, after I'd learnt over the weekend what was happening, told me that they had only been told about what was happening on late on the Friday afternoon. Basically when it's a commercial deal, particularly if it's Carnival doing the deal, not P&O themselves, they couldn't care less what the customer thinks. We loved Adonia, did three tips on her before she went to Fathom and now really prefer Aurora and Oceana although we've been on all the others apart from Britannia. Maybe we'll look at Azmara but it would be fly cruises which I'm less and less keen on. It makes sense Adonia going to Azmara as they have other ships from the Renaissance line, which is where Adonia originated.

They knew when the new brochure was printed and yet left sailings on website and fobbed off peoples concerns,a bad PR exercise IMO.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.

As I am unlikely to bother with P&O again when they finally have the courtesy to contact me think I will ask them to donate the £100 plus the interest they have earned on my deposit to the hurricanes relief fund

Good idea but fruitless as the £100 is to ensure you book another cruise with them

RCI D+. Princess Elite.

They knew when the new brochure was printed and yet left sailings on website and fobbed off peoples concerns,a bad PR exercise IMO.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.

They have basically lied when passengers queried the situation. £100 to spend on another cruise is pitiful, you can get that amount of discount from a travel agent. I think P&O will lose a lot of past passengers over this and people will be wary of booking too long in advance in the future. Bad show P&O.

Thomson's new ships that they got from RC lifts them to a new level and when Splendour and Legend were with RC they were very popular plus they offer lots of balcony cabins that Thomson were lacking in their other ships.

Indeed it does and IMO they are every bit as good as P&O mid size ships. Thomson spent a lot of money on rearranging the innards to suit british tastes. I think RC and Thomson's (soon TUI) parent company TUI are cooperating. Next year Mein Schiff 1 arrives as Explorer and the year after Mein Schiff 2, these are even better than the Discoveries.

They have basically lied when passengers queried the situation. £100 to spend on another cruise is pitiful, you can get that amount of discount from a travel agent. I think P&O will lose a lot of past passengers over this and people will be wary of booking too long in advance in the future. Bad show P&O.

I agree.

There are several cruise lines sailing from Southampton now catering for British tastes so P&O have shot themselves in the foot and people who book a couple of years in advance must wonder if they can trust their cruise is safe.

RCI.D+.

I agree.

There are several cruise lines sailing from Southampton now catering for British tastes so P&O have shot themselves in the foot and people who book a couple of years in advance must wonder if they can trust their cruise is safe.

RCI.D+.

Everyone must be angry over this, I have not seen 1 post defending the decision.

Everyone must be angry over this, I have not seen 1 post defending the decision.

That is because it is indefensible. P&O seem to be unable to plan ahead and I am not sure if it is incompetence or that they just don't really care an iota about their customers.

By all means sell a ship, that is their prerogative but don't do it just after you have sold the cruises and mislead customers by saying their cruise is going ahead just a few days before you announce the sale. If you really have to do it then look after those affected properly eg retain any early booking perks they had secured as a minimum.

This nonsense is becoming a bit of a habit for them, contempt for customers as they seem to think they have a steady stream of new ones to replace the old (and perhaps that is actually what they want). There have been a number of annoyances this year eg taking double deposits from banks, adding charges for room service, this - none of them have been handled well IMO.

Quite.. although we aren't affected at all by the decision and were not planning to go on Adonia as she is just too small for us, we feel so very sorry for the people who had really taken to her and especially those who have booked future cruises which will now be cancelled. I really feel for their disappointment. This really does not seem to have been handled well :(

Quite.. although we aren't affected at all by the decision and were not planning to go on Adonia as she is just too small for us, we feel so very sorry for the people who had really taken to her and especially those who have booked future cruises which will now be cancelled. I really feel for their disappointment. This really does not seem to have been handled well :(

We had no intentions of going on Adonia as it was to small for us but P&Os arrogant couldn't care less attitude is shocking.

RCI.D+ member

As everyone is saying, P&O are not coming out of this at all well. But I do have a feeling that it’s not really P&O behind this - it will have been Carnival Corporation senior management in Miami. I also think that anyone in Carnival UK who was privy to the information will have been under the strictest instruction to not say anything. I also imagine that while a number of other people within Carnival UK will have guessed or heard rumours, they won’t have actually “known”, and they will have been under instructions to behave as if it was business as usual.

As everyone is saying, P&O are not coming out of this at all well. But I do have a feeling that it’s not really P&O behind this - it will have been Carnival Corporation senior management in Miami. I also think that anyone in Carnival UK who was privy to the information will have been under the strictest instruction to not say anything. I also imagine that while a number of other people within Carnival UK will have guessed or heard rumours, they won’t have actually “known”, and they will have been under instructions to behave as if it was business as usual.

Thats true but the fact the new brochure was accurate in showing Adonias last cruise as 23rd February 2018 shows their customer contemt.

UK D+ member.

I'm sure you are right.. I have known business deals/redundancies etc where it is 'business as usual' right to the very last moment/the anouncement and very few people allowed to know, least of all those on the front line. It isn't the P&O front liners who are misleading anyone IMHO, they are most probably either strictly primed or do not even know.:(

I'm sure you are right.. I have known business deals/redundancies etc where it is 'business as usual' right to the very last moment/the anouncement and very few people allowed to know, least of all those on the front line. It isn't the P&O front liners who are misleading anyone IMHO, they are most probably either strictly primed or do not even know.:(

They had no plans for Adonia after 23rd February 2018 like they printed in the new brochure so anything else is a complete disregard of their customers intelligence.

UK D+ member.

They had no plans for Adonia after 23rd February 2018 like they printed in the new brochure so anything else is a complete disregard of their customers intelligence.

UK D+ member.

They might have also been fed ( and forced to swallow) the party line of still planning the itinerary etc but also had their suspicions - but could do nothing against the directives from on high especially if they wanted to keep their job.

They might have also been fed ( and forced to swallow) the party line of still planning the itinerary etc but also had their suspicions - but could do nothing against the directives from on high especially if they wanted to keep their job.

True.I think it is just as well they sent out the new brochure otherwise we might not have known and more people would have booked online oblivious to their cruise not being honoured.

UK D+ member.

I don't think this is the first time they have done this! Several years ago we were on a P&O ship (can't remember which, possibly the old Adonia) when it was announced it was leaving the fleet, it was even a surprise to the crew! We have had a cruise cancelled at fairly short notice, think we only got £50 OBC.

I don't think this is the first time they have done this! Several years ago we were on a P&O ship (can't remember which, possibly the old Adonia) when it was announced it was leaving the fleet, it was even a surprise to the crew! We have had a cruise cancelled at fairly short notice, think we only got £50 OBC.

Have had that happen to me a couple of times...... and you're right, an offer of £50 OBC is all that was offered. Take it or leave it. I left it.

The old Adonia was Sea Princess then Adonia then went back as Sea Princess again.

UK D+ member.

Aurora which we love might be next as she has been jinxed with engine room failures and norovirus on several occasions.

I sincerely hope not. We have 6 cruises booked on Aurora over the next 18 months as she is our new found favourite (we prefer the facilities on Britannia but the overall cruise experience on Aurora suits us better). We need an accessible balcony cabin. There are none on Oriana, we don't like them on Arcadia and Oceana doesn't do that many round trips from Southampton. As we aren't terribly keen on Azura and Ventura our choices are narrowing! We never managed to cruise on Adonia. We did a ship visit (and loved her) and were offered the half price cruises during her first season back with P&O but couldn't do any of them. Very sad to see her go, but the loss of Aurora would be a major problem for us. Personally, I can't see that happening any time soon. If I was a betting man, Oriana may go once the new 2020 ship is launched and, hopefully, if that happens, Aurora will become adult only.