A dining question

OttawaJohn

Hello everyone;

I am looking for some insight into dining with Holland

My wife and I have done a few cruises, but almost all with NCL. We were attracted to the 'freestyle' idea, the ability to eat when we want, alone.

We were not enticed by the idea of having to eat at a set time and with strangers. We like to enjoy our time together when on a cruise and not have to sit with others.

We recently did a Disney cruise, the first time we broke out of the NCL mode, and though the set dining times were annoying, we got used to them.

The key thing was that the line made note of our desire to sit alone and on each meal we were able to do so.

I can't seem to find anything on the Holland website saying if they will do the same.

Can anyone comment?

Is it set dining times and do you have to eat with others, or can they seat a couple privately?

Thanks in advance

You can certainly choose "anytime dining" on any HAL ship. You can also request a table for two, with no problem. You may have to wait a short while for "your" table to be available, but we've never had to wait very long. We also enjoy having flexible dining times and a table alone. You can also reserve a table for two at off peak times (6:30 or before and after 8:30) if you like your table and wait staff. You can book for 3 evenings in advance and then you would have to reserve again for further evenings.

I realize this defeats the purpose of "anytime" dining, but it works for a lot of people. No waiting in line for a table. However, you must be willing to eat early or quite late. We prefer to show up when we want to eat and wait for a table. We know that the wait could be longer between the hours of 7:00 and 8:30.

You can reserve a table for 2 at a set time up to 3 days in advance, if memory serves me correctly. As another poster has stated, if you don't have a reservation, you might have to wait a few minutes. We've ended up setting by ourselves at a table for 4 when we have just shown up without having a reservation. Seems strange (or ironic?) reserving a table for anytime dining, but if they're expecting you, they'll have a table ready.

HAL Open Seating lets you dine whenever you please....between 5 and 9. Our experience is that most folks dine by 8...so for those of us who enter the MDR at 8 (or later) there is never a problem getting a table.

Hank

Don't know which ship you are thinking about sailing on.

But Koningsdam seats people for Open Seating on both levels of the dining room. In other words -- mixing the Open Seating with the Fixed Seating.

The other ships keep the majority of the Open Seating people on the lower level of the dining room. A few times we have seen the people brought up to the upper level to be seated.

Open Seating you can show up any time you want -- some ships open the dining room at 5:15 while others open at 5. Just check your daily program for the times for Open Seating. If you like the table where you are seated, you can request it for 3 days at a time but -- you will need to show up at the same time each evening.