Best tips for a YC newbie.

chefchick

Just booked a January, 2018 Seaside cruise for my husband and myself. Originally, was considering an Aurea balcony on deck 9, but one yacht club deluxe suite YC1 became available so I snatched it up! We have never cruised with MSC before, but are experienced cruisers, most recently with Seabourn, so we are used to many of the perks associated with the YC, but I am excited about the Seaside with it's many innovations. Would appreciate any insight Into these following questions:

1- the suite we booked does say it will sleep 5. Although at this point the YC is sold out, what are the chances that we will be moved to a suite for 2, perhaps in a less desirable location? I like where are at(deck 16) and would hate to be moved to suite at the front or even worse an inside as the side balcony is a big plus for us.

2- the F1 simulator and the 4D movies sound like a lot of fun but I don't see a lot of reviews that include info on them. Anyone have experience with these on other ships? Are they for ever available? Over run with children? What about the water slides or zip line...do you suspect it will be a zoo everyday...even in January?

3- YC restaurant does have anytime dining, correct? I have read where the MD asks for a preference, but how set in stone is that if we are enjoying a show or cocktail and might be early or late for our set time?

4- for those who have utilized the YC before, what is you best hint or tip that you have learned that maybe a newbie wouldn't know about?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Just booked a January, 2018 Seaside cruise for my husband and myself. Originally, was considering an Aurea balcony on deck 9, but one yacht club deluxe suite YC1 became available so I snatched it up! We have never cruised with MSC before, but are experienced cruisers, most recently with Seabourn, so we are used to many of the perks associated with the YC, but I am excited about the Seaside with it's many innovations. Would appreciate any insight Into these following questions:

1- the suite we booked does say it will sleep 5. Although at this point the YC is sold out, what are the chances that we will be moved to a suite for 2, perhaps in a less desirable location? I like where are at(deck 16) and would hate to be moved to suite at the front or even worse an inside as the side balcony is a big plus for us.

2- the F1 simulator and the 4D movies sound like a lot of fun but I don't see a lot of reviews that include info on them. Anyone have experience with these on other ships? Are they for ever available? Over run with children? What about the water slides or zip line...do you suspect it will be a zoo everyday...even in January?

3- YC restaurant does have anytime dining, correct? I have read where the MD asks for a preference, but how set in stone is that if we are enjoying a show or cocktail and might be early or late for our set time?

4- for those who have utilized the YC before, what is you best hint or tip that you have learned that maybe a newbie wouldn't know about?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

I'm not the best to answer your questions but I can answer number 4. For me an important hint is that they probably have Champagne included in the Topsail lounge even if they don't have it in the menu, ask! (They had Nicolas Feuillatte included on the Meraviglia but it wasn't mentioned in the menu.)

The F1 and 4D theater is fairly easy to get into, as long as the F1 is working. We found that if there was a line for the F1 if you came back in 40ish minutes it would be gone. 4d never had a crowd. Same with the slides, alothough those at as good as what Seaside will have.

We were asked for a time but it never seemed enforced. We came early and late but usually with 30 mins of our time slot. But we didn't care who are server was. If you really want a spectacle every night I would have the concierge call for you.

As for a tip, I say make sure you don't expect perfection. We LOVE the yacht club but the experience isn't perfect. We had some small issues and one bigger one but we enjoyed the overall experience. I think some people read how amazing it is and think "every day will be perfect". It won't be and you could ruin your trip expecting this perfection. People make mistakes, some staff doesn't click with you, etc.

They prefer a time you would like to be there, but they will make do if you are late.

They prefer for you to set a time for each evening, and also ask that you or the concierge call if you need it changed or if you are going to a specialty restaurant.

On Meraviglia last week I tried to have a set time and table so I could have the same waiting staff. who would get to know your likes and dislikes, but was told that it was open seating and you will be given a table by the Head waiter or Maitre D' when you arrive,

So no trying to get you to keep to a set time and no having to pre-warn them about your intentions with regard to going to specialty dining.

Pete

what is you best hint or tip that you have learned that maybe a newbie wouldn't know about?

Tip 1) make sure you status match to see if you get a coveted Black Card

Tip 2) Don't eat yellow snow ( An in joke for Skiing enthusiasts, which I can claim to be as I have been a fully qualified instructor for 35 years)

Edited by Skier52

1) MSC does seem to move cabins at their whim.

2. The 4d movie is approximately 5 minutes long. No reviews yet of zip line.

3) MSC policies for this change as often as their website :(. They tried to pin us down to a set time every night but we didn’t succumb and had no problems.

4) As a seabourn customer I would say the best piece of advice I can give you is to adjust your expectations to the price paid. MSC is no seabourn, but they don’t come with a seabourn cost either.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's really not a bad location within the YC - it's a confined area and you'll never be too far from whatever you want to do within the YC. They would not move you from a balcony to an inside. (surely? :o lol)

Hint: The One Bar on Divina did not have a menu so we assumed all that is available was on the small buffet. I'm not sure of everything you can get there but I saw burgers, small pizzas, waffles, gelato. Would be interesting to see what others have ordered by way of food at One Bar.

I like where are at(deck 16) and would hate to be moved to suite at the front or even worse an inside as the side balcony is a big plus for us.
If you bothered to check readily available schematics online, you would already know that there are zero suites at the front of the ship in the YC area, so you don't have to worry about possibly being moved there. On deck 16, the Top Sail Lounge is forward, with 18 YC1 suites on each side starboard and port, as well as two grand suites (YC3) and 7 of those dreaded inside YIN cabins that you're scared of. On deck 18, the YC restaurant is forward, as well as the same 36 suites and only 5 inside.

If you bothered to check readily available schematics online, you would already know that there are zero suites at the front of the ship in the YC area, so you don't have to worry about possibly being moved there. On deck 16, the Top Sail Lounge is forward, with 18 YC1 suites on each side starboard and port, as well as two grand suites (YC3) and 7 of those dreaded inside YIN cabins that you're scared of. On deck 18, the YC restaurant is forward, as well as the same 36 suites and only 5 inside.

Thank you for this information. (Not sure why you felt the need for snark?...not very welcoming)

I have never cruised on a line that reportedly moves cabins after booking (unless you have book a gty category, of course) so I am concerned and was hoping for clafication from previous MSC cruisers. Also, what I have read in regards to the Seaside deck plans is they are a work in progress and have been charged multiple times so counting on them to be correct is a bit of a stretch. Again, I was happily surprised that a YC stateroom became available and I hope MSC be a new and fun experience.

Last week while on the Divina we booked a BTB for next year on the Seaside with the same YC room for both voyages. Just got off the phone with MSC and this agent sheepishly DID admit that sometimes these room changes occur for what might seem to be no reason. I asked the agent if my 2 bookings were somehow linked/cross-referenced as B2B and for some reason they don't do that. I told this agent that I did NOT want to see any room changes to either booking as I will not move from one room to another between segments. The best this agent could offer was that I should regularly keep an eye on my 2 bookings. We are in a 2-person room so it's not like we're in a 4-person room that they might need if a 4-person family wanted to book. In any case, both of our sailings appear to be fully booked in YC so hopefully no changes will be made.

Thank you for this information.Also, what I have read in regards to the Seaside deck plans is they are a work in progress and have been charged multiple times so counting on them to be correct is a bit of a stretch.
Don't think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that the YC Top Sail lounge and restaurant that are currently on the deck plans as to be located forward on decks 16 and 18, unlike the Divina, which does indeed have forward facing YC cabins on decks 16 and 12. Maybe in your research you had read a bad review regarding one of these forward facing cabins and you were hoping not to be placed there. Just wanted to put your mind at ease since all 72 of the YC1 cabins are all on the sides with balconies. And since there are 72 locations, I doubt they would downgrade you to one of the 12 YIN. Enjoy, by the way, which January sailing are you on?

Haven't you heared this?:

Eat yellow snow, it might be beer!

Recycled beer! No skier worth his salt would waste perfectly good beer!

Experienced skier and mother of an instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do ask for a preference of dining time, but they are very accommodating. On the Divina we would let them know of any changes the night before or even the afternoon of and they always had us seated in the same section if not the same table (we sat at a different one once). Their service is excellent and so are the food and wine! We're on Seaside in December. The Divina YC crew told us they would almost all be on board with us which we're thrilled about. Enjoy!

They do ask for a preference of dining time, but they are very accommodating. On the Divina we would let them know of any changes the night before or even the afternoon of and they always had us seated in the same section if not the same table (we sat at a different one once). Their service is excellent and so are the food and wine! We're on Seaside in December. The Divina YC crew told us they would almost all be on board with us which we're thrilled about. Enjoy!

Was Alfred one of the waiters that will be on the Seaside?

Does anyone know if you go to a specialty dining restaurant, are we able to get yacht club included drinks there? I'm on the Seaside Jan 20th. And do we need specialty dining? Ocean Cay looks good, but Le Muse might be enough. Thanks!

Does anyone know if you go to a specialty dining restaurant, are we able to get yacht club included drinks there? I'm on the Seaside Jan 20th. And do we need specialty dining? Ocean Cay looks good, but Le Muse might be enough. Thanks!
As of April 1, the YC drink benefit expanded to include the entire ship. It includes the regular alcoholic drinks as well as those with one asterisk on the menu. The only drinks excluded are those super premium drinks that have two asterisks.

Yes, you can. We were in YC on Divina last week and had several of the "wines by the glass" from Eataly Steakhouse when we dined there. Just show your card. No need to sign for anything.

I'm not sure. We had Arthur. But we spoke to quite a few people and they told us the whole Le Muse crew would pretty much be on Seaside which makes me very happy. The service was excellent!

You are correct it was Arthur I am so glad he will be no the Seaside, I will request him he's great.

We had Arthur as our waiter in September for his last Divina cruise before going on vacation back home to the Philipines. He told us he would be returning in November to join with the Seaside Crew. He also said most everyone from Divina Yacht Club would be going to the Seaside.

Arthur is a wonderful person and made our meals so enjoyable and entertaining!