Motorized scooter

Anyone that has used a motorized scooter, what do you do with the scooter when you are in your room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your scooter MUST go into your room with you. This is not a Carnival rule, but a SOLAS (safety of life at sea) regulation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone that has used a motorized scooter, what do you do with the scooter when you are in your room?

What do you mean what to do with it when in your room? Well, the room is small, so most likely you won't drive it around the room. You can use it as a footrest if you position it correctly? If it has a basket extra storage space? The rooms have a lack of seats, so you have an extra seat. Outside of that, you really can't do much with it in the room.

There is this concept in the USA that everything must be big, and roomy, but if you ever travel outside the immediate area of the USA, you will discover, hotels, and other items of life, such as automobiles etc. are small. Cruise ships are international and the concept of large rooms, is just not a luxury. So to answer your question, you will just need to learn to walk around it, like everyone else that travels with mobility aids. You can book HC rooms also, get a suite, or when making a purchase for a scooter, purchase ones that you can easily travel with and are airplane friendly. An example is the Tzora Elite, which will practically take up no room. I own two scooters. One for international travel (the Tzora Elite) and one for local travel and around the neighborhood, which is more powerful. So I can use taxi's, busses, planes, and than I can still use it as a footrest, or extra seat in the room!

Mine fit nicely right against the table/dresser in Elation's U243 (Fully HA). Great for reaching the outlet for recharging. The only headache was this was where housekeeping liked to put a trash can and I had to move it twice a day.

carnival-elation-carnival-42231.jpg

yes you will need to request a handicapped room that has slightly wider entry way.

We left his scooter between the bed and the wall. Just barely enough room and yes I had to crawl over it several times but I don't have mobility issues so that was no big deal.

Thank you all! I have cruised many times but my father may go with us and he cannot walk far so thinking of renting a scooter but didn't know if it would fit through door.

I'm afraid there is no option, you must take a scooter that WILL go through the door as it cannot be stored in the halls.

Thank you all! I have cruised many times but my father may go with us and he cannot walk far so thinking of renting a scooter but didn't know if it would fit through door.

You will have to contact the rental agency for the dimensions of the scooter. Carnival door widths for regular staterooms are 22"; however, 2" of that is taken up by the door itself, leaving 20" of actual clearance to get a scooter through.

You will have to ensure that either the scooter will fit through the door of a regular stateroom, or book a handicapped accessible stateroom.

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus mobility scooter. I'll be taking it on the Carnival Pride for the 4th or 5th time in early Feb. 2018. We always book a standard/extended balcony, DH removes armrests, and he either holds the door, or we use a door stop, and I enter the cabin, turn the scooter around, and park it in front of the sofa. If I need to charge it, the plug is close by. It has never been in our way. I don't need an accessible cabin yet. It took a few tries to go smoothly into the cabin, but now I have it down pat...no problem.

We rented one for my daughter from Special Needs At Sea. It was in the cabin waiting for us. And we left it there when we disembarked. It actually stayed in the cabin for the whole cruise. Daughter decided to just use her walker. Had a cove balcony room with 3 of us and a scooter. Little tight, but hey we were on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just on the Magic, and my DH had a walker. We were in a reg balcony cabin, and he had to fold his walker up, to get it into the room. It wouldn't fit in the doorway, otherwise.

In the hall one day, we saw the cabin steward cleaning a handicap cabin. We peeked in. It was an inside, and was one of the smallest "handicap" cabins I've ever seen. The queen bed took up literally, half of the room. A scooter or walker, would have taken up half of what was left. You might have had just enough room to turn around, after that. I would have been extremely unhappy with that cabin.

Never personally seen it but not surprising and I can imagine why they would say that.

There is no ramp to get a scooter onto any of the tenders and most of the ones we have been on have at least one or two steps down to get aboard them. The tenders come in different configurations too and some of the smaller ones can be rather crowded, with no room for a scooter. Since they are privately owned I would imagine they are paid per passenger transported and would want two or three more people instead of space being taken by the machine. Just a guess.

I could also imagine them making it a safety issue somehow if the tender was to encounter a sinking situation. Yes, the rider could still wear a life jacket but they might see the scooter as impeding peoples ability to get off the vessel quickly.

Like I said, just some guessing here.

I have a question. My MIL uses a go go pride scooter and Carnival just called with questions for MIL and also told her she could not tender at Belize because of her scooter. Anyone ever encounter this issue?

They are not roll on tenders. Carnival's website specifically states that persons will not be able to tender with scooters. There is a steep set of stairs leading to the tender. She will need to be able to navigate those to board at Belize. They will occasionally permit wheelchairs, but never scooters, and only so long as those persons are able to navigate the stairs.